The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Colton Parayko STL

Just wondering what people think about trying to leverage Colton Parayko out of St. Louis. I feel like he would be the missing piece on the back end for us, and St. Louis is most likely going to lose him the expansion draft if they don't do something.

Maybe wouldn't be able to pull it off until the Draft but may be able to pull off a move like we did with Vegas for Schmidt. Or even something like Virtanen for Parayko.

Gives us one less forward to have to protect to save room for guys like Mac, Motte, Lind or Gadj and we basically have a freebie spot available for a Dman since at this point (assuming OJ doesn't get enough games in this year) Myers is the only D we can expose. I don't want to give up Schmidt, he's a lot better than Myers.

St. Louis then doesn't lose Parayko for nothing and since they have a lot of their better forwards as UFAs after this year they have a forward spot available. I can't see them not protecting Faulk, Krug and Dunn, leaving CP as the odd man out.

Just spit balling, what does everyone think?

You're kidding right?  He plays more than 22 minutes a night for them, normally on their top pairing and is another do-it-all right-shot defenseman.  Scoring rate wise, if he didn't get injured he would be on pace to lead the D in points.

Why would the Blues trade him and not protect him, and much less move him for Jake Virtanen?

• Thanks 1

Again, just a theory, but the reason I see them protecting Dunn over Parayko is Dunn is younger, cheaper, more points and plays 20 minutes a night. And who knows maybe STL is fine with losing Dunn for nothing. Can't see Seattle taking Scandella

Edited by 204CanucksFan

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Still have to protect Juo

Absolutely but who is the 3rd Dman you protect? For me it's Schmidt, OJ and then a great big question mark because Myers is the only D we can expose unless we resign Edler, Hamonic or Benn early just so we don't have to expose Myers.

Just now, 204CanucksFan said:

Absolutely but who is the 3rd Dman you protect? For me it's Schmidt, OJ and then a great big question mark because Myers is the only D we can expose unless we resign Edler, Hamonic or Benn early just so we don't have to expose Myers.

Everyone wahts a whipping boy. Myers has been so underrated for us this year no way do I want him exposed. I do not want to be playing him over and over in Seattle. Our forwards can't take what he's dishing out.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

You're kidding right?  He plays more than 22 minutes a night for them, normally on their top pairing and is another do-it-all right-shot defenseman.  Scoring rate wise, if he didn't get injured he would be on pace to lead the D in points.

Why would the Blues trade him and not protect him, and much less move him for Jake Virtanen?

well because they missed out of trading him for Benny the Hutt a couple years ago

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Everyone wahts a whipping boy. Myers has been so underrated for us this year no way do I want him exposed. I do not want to be playing him over and over in Seattle. Our forwards can't take what he's dishing out.

I'm not looking for a whipping boy. I'm happy with Myers overall. Bad at defense, good at offense with his size being tiebreaker in his favor. The bottom line is if we protect Schmidt and OJ we have to sign someone else as Myers is the ONLY other dman who meets the requirements for exposure. Doesn't mean Seattle has to take him but we must have 1 exposed Dman that meets the games played requirements and is not a UFA at the end of the season.

14 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I'm not looking for a whipping boy. I'm happy with Myers overall. Bad at defense, good at offense with his size being tiebreaker in his favor. The bottom line is if we protect Schmidt and OJ we have to sign someone else as Myers is the ONLY other dman who meets the requirements for exposure. Doesn't mean Seattle has to take him but we must have 1 exposed Dman that meets the games played requirements and is not a UFA at the end of the season.

Guys I would target would be:  Radko Gudas, Carson Soucy, Cernac, Scott Mayfield. They would cost something of value but the price may be worth it.

After that the hopefully cheaper options that we would end up with post draft. Matthew Benning,  Dean Kukan, Caleb Jones,  Kurtis Macdermid, Brett Kulak, Robert Bortuzzo.  If we can get a great deal on one of these guys you gotta do it. However we will not be the only team looking to meet draft requirements hopefully we don't have to over pay.

Blues just lost Pietrangelo last year for nothing. I don't see a GM keeping his job losing Parayko too. Why are they losing Parayko to the expansion draft? Krug/Faulk must be protected? And who do we lose at the expansion draft after trading for Parayko? lol. We protect 3 dmen right? That leaves us with 4-5 we would like to protect: Hughes, Schmidt, Myers, our newly traded Parayko, Juolevi.

nice post. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Still have to protect Juo

We don’t “have to”protect him.  We “could” protect him if we can’t find an upgrade.

There are still a ton of questions about him whether he will ever become a top 4 guy.  His usefulness right now is being a cheap depth piece.

There is every possibility that Rathbone passes him on the depth chart as soon as next season.

We also have Schmidt who is a natural LD who we should look at sliding over in the long term.

If Edler re-signs for cheap, and so does Hamonic (he said he wanted to stay long term) we could even have a defence next year that doesn’t fit Juolevi as a top 6.

Hughes-Hamonic

Schmidt-Myers

Edler-Tryamkin 

Rathbone-Juolevi

Edited by Provost

Just now, Provost said:

We don’t “have to”protect him.  We “could” protect him if we can’t find an upgrade.

There are still a ton of questions about him whether he will ever become a top 4 guy.  His usefulness right now is being a cheap depth piece.

There is every possibility that Rathbone passes him on the depth chart as soon as next season.

We also have Schmidt who is a natural LD who we should look at sliding over in the long term.

If Edler re-signs for cheap, and so does Hamonic (he said he wanted to stay long term) we could even have a defence next year that doesn’t fit Juolevi as a top 6.

Hughes-Hamonic

Schmidt-Myers

Edler-Tryamkin 

Rathbone-Juolevi

Ok you win. We don't "have to" probably should though.

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

Blues just lost Pietrangelo last year for nothing. I don't see a GM keeping his job losing Parayko too. Why are they losing Parayko to the expansion draft? Krug/Faulk must be protected? And who do we lose at the expansion draft after trading for Parayko? lol. We protect 3 dmen right? That leaves us with 4-5 we would like to protect: Hughes, Schmidt, Myers, our newly traded Parayko, Juolevi.

nice post. 

Hughes is exempt and we need to expose 1 (likely Myers) but we still aren't getting Parayko.  

We wouldn't trade Hughes to protect lesser players, neither would the Blues trade their best D.

I would protect Scmidt, Juolevi, even though I really like Myers I don't think Seattle pick him up 6 million X 4 yrs left , 32 yrs old next year?

If they pick him up plan B ....We can sign Tryamki 1.5 million, Try and re sign Hamonic 2 X 2 million 

Rathbone will be #4 D man within the next year, smart player and great skater close to Hughes....

Future is so exciting..

Parayko is gold. The Blues would have to be insane to consider giving up on a 6'6", 230 pound, 27 year old top pairing D who happens to be a righty. They just lost Petro for nothing, Parayko ain't going anywhere. Hell, I'd be surprised if he ever wears another jersey, you find a way to keep players like him. 

• Thanks 1