The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 17, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

35 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How does a goalie go from winning the cup twice, to being meh. 

It's part of why i cautiously optimistic about Demko - same with Binnington for that matter.   And a lot of other reasons.   MAF is the last goalie that i can think of - that started very young and kept up his level of play the same way the greats of yesterday ... Luongo included.   It's not easy being that good all the time.  A few years ago a no name goalie came in and won his first 22 or so games in OTT - every start...forgot his name already.   Vasilevksy is the only young guy playing right now that looks to have the chops to compare to say Lundqvist or Luongo - boosted big time by the team he's playing on.   Wonder how Gibson or Demko would manage over there .... 

MAF proved himself beyond a doubt that he's going into the HHOF given what he accomplished in Vegas.   Have to say though - in the record books anyways - that all shutout losses or wins should be recorded as ties.   400 wins is beyond incredible - not many players have more and aren't in the HHOF already.   Luongo would go down into Sawchuk territory with i think the third most games ever - Lundqvist i'm not even sure he'd have 400 wins.

Hart and Price and Vasilevsky are the only goalies who have a small chance of getting 400 wins as of right now .... because if you don't start at age 19-20 your pretty much screwed.   Bower managed 300 wins starting in his 30's ... imagine that. 

Edit:  Osgood (400 wins), Cujo and Luongo are the only guys - maybe Lundqvist but i don't think he quite made it once you convert his stats into  ties - he absolutely feasted in the shootout)  are the only guys not in the HHOF ... all four have good cases - Luongo, Lundqvist, Osgood should be in.    Without Osgood no return to the finals - if Detroit won back to back again he'd have won the Conn Smythe  and was really just as or more deserving then Zetterberg .

Edited by IBatch

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's part of why i cautiously optimistic about Demko - same with Binnington for that matter.   And a lot of other reasons.   MAF is the last goalie that i can think of - that started very young and kept up his level of play the same way the greats of yesterday ... Luongo included.   It's not easy being that good all the time.  A few years ago a no name goalie came in and won his first 22 or so games in OTT - every start...forgot his name already.   Vasilevksy is the only young guy playing right now that looks to have the chops to compare to say Lundqvist or Luongo - boosted big time by the team he's playing on.   Wonder how Gibson or Demko would manage over there .... 

MAF proved himself beyond a doubt that he's going into the HHOF given what he accomplished in Vegas.   Have to say though - in the record books anyways - that all shutout losses or wins should be recorded as ties.   400 wins is beyond incredible - not many players have more and aren't in the HHOF already.   Luongo would go down into Sawchuk territory with i think the third most games ever - Lundqvist i'm not even sure he'd have 400 wins.

Hart and Price and Vasilevsky are the only goalies who have a small chance of getting 400 wins as of right now .... because if you don't start at age 19-20 your pretty much screwed.   Bower managed 300 wins starting in his 30's ... imagine that. 

Edit:  Osgood (400 wins), Cujo and Luongo are the only guys - maybe Lundqvist but i don't think he quite made it once you convert his stats into  ties - he absolutely feasted in the shootout)  are the only guys not in the HHOF ... all four have good cases - Luongo, Lundqvist, Osgood should be in.    Without Osgood no return to the finals - if Detroit won back to back again he'd have won the Conn Smythe  and was really just as or more deserving then Zetterberg .

So MAF time in Pittsburgh was not noteworthy? 

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So MAF time in Pittsburgh was not noteworthy? 

Of course it was. But MAF wad trending down in Pitts and was the back up by the time expansion came around. Had he not bounced back and regained his form as a top flight starter in Vegas, he would not be in the Hall of Fame conversation. That's what "given what he accomplished in Vegas" means.

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

I would have gone with Holtby tonight. If you don't have faith in him against the Sens when your starter needs a night off, when do you have faith in him. 

My sentiment exactly, Holtby has a much better chance of beating the senators, out of them the Jets, or Habs

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

My sentiment exactly, Holtby has a much better chance of beating the senators, out of them the Jets, or Habs

If Holtby was in net against the Sens last game, I can almost guaranteed you it would a different outcome and we probably lost that one in regulation. Go with the guy that can pick you up points and then we will see where we go in Montreal.

I really &^@#ing hate the Habs as they would look garbage against teams like Detroit, San Jose etc (embarrassingly), and always just beats us. &^@#er Price from BC doesn't help as he will always show up and try to play at his absolute best because he knows his friends/family will be watching. If we remove Montreal from this division and replace them with either St. Louis, Nashville heck even Colorado, we would have a better chance of making the playoffs.

Edited by ruilin96
  • Vintage 1

Vesey and Motte returning from injury inserted to our bottom 6 should be a much needed change of scenery. Both high energy players that can pot in goals. 

Anything to keep Roussel off the line-up.

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1