The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 17, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

It amazes me how much Edler is able to eat minutes for this team...but also a huge worry that there isn't an immediate solution to replace Edler and those minutes.

its time to see what we have in Olli Juolevi and see if he can ease/transition into that defensive role for us. I love Jordie Benn and how he has helped turned things around for himself, but long term, we need to see who we have internally to replace this. I guess Schmidt but its time to grow our own players into roles instead of relying on trades of signings to fill those big holes.

The only reason I can think of for Benn playing ahead of Olli, is that JB plans to make Benn the Dman they expose in the expansion draft.  They will sign him to a one or two year deal before the season is over and expose him.  I don't think they want to expose Myers, because he's played extremely well this season, he plays in all situations, they have no other Dmen who play with an edge, and of course he's right handed which is a premium today.  The Canucks have no developmental RHD ready for the show, yet.  Of course they'll protect Schmidt and Olli, Hamonic and Edler are UFAs, but Hamonic has already said he wants to resign in Vancouver and Edler isn't going anywhere so they will both likely wait until after the ED to sign with the Canucks, so that leaves Benn as the player with 70 games played over two seasons.  He just hit 70 on Monday, so I expect we'll see Olli again if/when the team loses their next game, or somebody gets hurt.

Edited by canuckleheads fan

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Like you mentioned, maybe he said it maybe not?  But if he did say it that's a pretty entitled attitude.  Sounds like a player who hasn't had to work for much in his career since things came fairly easy to him - now that he's expected to work for it he's claiming 'it's a vague concept'? 

For a guy making 9mil/year for the next 7 years you'd think he'd at least be embarrassed (if not ashamed) that he's contributing absolutely NOTHING to his team at the moment.  

I don't pay a lot of attention to signings by other teams unless they're former Canucks, so I had to look up the Skinner contract.  Wow, that's robbery!  He's not even their best player.  How do you sign a minus player for every year of his career aside from his Calder year and the 40-goal-season first year in Buffalo to that kind of scratch?  wow.

43 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

The only reason I can think of for Benn playing ahead of Olli, is that JB plans to make Benn the Dman they expose in the expansion draft.  They will sign him to a one or two year deal before the season is over and expose him.  I don't think they want to expose Myers, because he's played extremely well this season, he plays in all situations, they have no other Dmen who play with an edge, and of course he's right handed which is a premium today.  The Canucks have no developmental RHD ready for the show, yet.  Of course they'll protect Schmidt and Olli, Hamonic and Edler are UFAs, but Hamonic has already said he wants to resign in Vancouver and Edler isn't going anywhere so they will both likely wait until after the ED to sign with the Canucks, so that leaves Benn as the player with 70 games played over two seasons.  He just hit 70 on Monday, so I expect we'll see Olli again if/when the team loses their next game, or somebody gets hurt.

Benn already has the games.  It’s 54 over 2 seasons - they’ve adjusted for the shortened seasons.