The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 17, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I have a good feeling petey offensively will break out like mackinnon in year 5. Becoming a true force night in and night out.

He's going to need to put on about 20 lbs of muscle by then to be a dominant force night in night out..

Needs at least 5 lbs on each leg if not more.

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's shocking how people can, to this day, romanticize the periods of 2011 onward, while the predecessor to Benning did not draft or develop a goalie with a long term plan.

We knew Demko was going to be good. We knew Cory Schneider was going to be good (at the time). Yet the Markstrom trade was kind of a bet that worked out. Without him, we don't have the goalie depth that we do now. 

DiPietro is going to be really good as well. He just needs time, just like Demko took his time.

That's totally right. And that's what many people don't realize, it did actually work out, to some degree. But he's was never going to be an elite goaltender. He's solid, fine. But Demko is way and above Marky at this point in his career. No disrespect to Jacob. Different caliber of goaltender. 

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Or a coach that promotes skating, hitting and shooting.

Rangers tonight is a prime example that coaching matters. All AHL coaching and they are up 9-0!!!

How people can't see our current staff holds us back is mind boggling. How they can watch how we play vs how montreal plays and be OK with that is something else.
So many little adjustments can be made during a game when the opposition has the momentum, yet we just fall back to passive give them the zone with time and space every time.

Thank god we have demko to keep giving us wins... But even with half a useless roster we still could be utilizing the good players soo much more...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

9 - 0

Game should have been cancelled instead..

Flyers should be lucky that game wasn’t in Philadelphia with a full house of fans. The ice would have been drenched with thrown food, beer and jerseys. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

They dug themselves too deep a hole most likely and any objective fan can see the disgusting amount of warts even in the wins. Can you imagine if they had to play any good teams? Lol...

They're 7-2 in March, including wins against Toronto (sweep) and Winnipeg. They weren't all pretty but good teams find a way to win.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Fans really shouldn’t be quibbling with the results.. considering how god awful we looked to start the year and the fact we’re without Petey.  

Grinding out these wins and finding some confidence is huge for this group... regardless of the opponent.  (And Ottawa’s been playing better lately too.)

Yes they have.  Wonder how many on here complaining about the last couple of games have spent any time watching the Sens outside of the games we've played them.   Don't know what to say - a lot of low percentage shots tonight - a few in the slot.   Chabot Chabot Chabot was all I could here the announcers talking about on SNE so that was fun (not).    Take the win, move on to the next game. 

• Cheers 1

Hockey Gaud schooling Miller, Brock and Bo - gotta love it

Demko plays with so much confidence - crap Benning get on signing Ian Clark

Montreal is gonna be one hell of a test for this  group - suspect Pearson  might be out to boot.  Injuries starting to really pile up -

Off to watch the Alta teams beat the crap out of each other ( I hope )_

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Or a coach that promotes skating, hitting and shooting.

better yet, let's get a bag of pucks that shoot themselves and can't cross our goal line...we can then keep everyone on this team, skaters and coachs...but unfortunately, we'll have to get rid of demko cause he would then be useless to us

Gonna need some ugly wins.

I'll take every one of them, particularly when they're without a few centers, and are fueled by guys like Demko, Hoglander, Boeser, (Gaudette).... (p.s. Bennig is an idiot).

If they can eek by until they get EP and Beagle back, they may be onto something...

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Happy with the results but this team should not be gaining confidence from the way they’re playing.

Way too many bad habits have entered their game and the fact they keep getting rewarded with wins is not necessarily a good thing. We’re headed for a blowout if we play this way against Montreal or Winnipeg.

I hear what you’re saying but this isn’t a team with a ton of winning history.  

Really, we had a decent last year albeit struggling going into the pandemic... and then a nice little play-in.  On a larger scale, we aren’t really much better than Ottawa even though in typical Vancouver fashion expectations were sky high.  

My point is, if the team isn’t very consistent and prone to mistakes maybe we come by it more honestly than we’d care to admit.  In that case, I’m glad for wins even if they’re ugly - it sure beats what happened to start the year.  It’s also a lot easier, at least IMO, to get everyone on the same page if they’re seeing some success.  I doubt with their current record and playoff chase they’re going to get lazy or overconfident any time soon - at least I hope the coaches don’t let that happen.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2