The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 17, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I hear what you’re saying but this isn’t a team with a ton of winning history.  

Really, we had a decent last year albeit struggling going into the pandemic... and then a nice little play-in.  On a larger scale, we aren’t really much better than Ottawa even though in typical Vancouver fashion expectations were sky high.  

My point is, if the team isn’t very consistent and prone to mistakes maybe we come by it more honestly than we’d care to admit.  In that case, I’m glad for wins even if they’re ugly - it sure beats what happened to start the year.  It’s also a lot easier, at least IMO, to get everyone on the same page if they’re seeing some success.  I doubt with their current record and playoff chase they’re going to get lazy or overconfident any time soon - at least I hope the coaches don’t let that happen.

Take Demko out and the two teams are more or less similar. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

They're 7-2 in March, including wins against Toronto (sweep) and Winnipeg. They weren't all pretty but good teams find a way to win.

And in the nhl, even bad teams can win on any given  night.  The Nucks are not a "good team"  by any measure aside from goaltending but they are managing to get some wins.  

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I like our team, in fact I think we can be a decent team, I’m jealous the Flames got Sutter, he’s exactly what we need.

there are more than 1 problem here...there is planning and strategy and then there is execution and commitment.  Seems like "all of the above".

Just now, oldnews said:

That Pearson injury is annoying af.  Not only are they already short bodies...

But it's typical Canuck luck to have their pending UFAs go down as the trade deadline approaches.   

On a completely harmless play too. Just catches a rut and crumples.

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I hear what you’re saying but this isn’t a team with a ton of winning history.  

Really, we had a decent last year albeit struggling going into the pandemic... and then a nice little play-in.  On a larger scale, we aren’t really much better than Ottawa even though in typical Vancouver fashion expectations were sky high.  

My point is, if the team isn’t very consistent and prone to mistakes maybe we come by it more honestly than we’d care to admit.  In that case, I’m glad for wins even if they’re ugly - it sure beats what happened to start the year.  It’s also a lot easier, at least IMO, to get everyone on the same page if they’re seeing some success.  I doubt with their current record and playoff chase they’re going to get lazy or overconfident any time soon - at least I hope the coaches don’t let that happen.

They're so Jekyll and Hyde too.

They'll play horribly against Ottawa then have good games against the top teams like Winnipeg & Toronto.

Not going to complain too much about getting points.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Might wanna check the old possession numbers.

We got outplayed badly. Didn’t move our feet or the puck and lost puck battle after puck battle.

you do realize that ottawa is oe of the better puck possesion teams in the league? we kept them to thier average shots, whats the problem?

1 minute ago, J-Strap said:

there are more than 1 problem here...there is planning and strategy and then there is execution and commitment.  Seems like "all of the above".

A coach, for good or bad, affects all of those things.

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He's going to need to put on about 20 lbs of muscle by then to be a dominant force night in night out..

Needs at least 5 lbs on each leg if not more.

Hence the year 5. Easy to see how he could up it from a point per game pace to 100+ in a 82 game season once hes more seasoned imo.

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The fact that our PP consistently struggles to set up, and our defense consistently doesn't know who they are covering.  Both issues can be easily remedied by hiring qualified assistant coaches instead of collecting federal subsidies for employing the mentally disabled.

ok, i'm going to spell it out slowly for you. t h e      c a n u c k s        h a v e         t h e      h o t t e s t      PP        I n       T h e      l e a g u e        r i g h t     n o w.