The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 17, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I think what happened in the bubble last year made fans believe the team was further ahead than it was. Remember this team was barely going to make the playoffs last year. Even I had high expectations. Having time to think about it I realize that I made the mistake of thinking they were on the verge of being elite right away. I think they still need to add pieces to be a contender. I think they over achieved in the bubble which led to unrealistic expectations. As I said before I am just happy Demko has taken over and ran with it.

I’m leaning towards that as well.  We caught a bit of lightning in a bottle last summer (and then lost a few key guys).  

This group is still growing and there’s enough moving pieces that the past 2 months make a lot of sense.  

I do think we’re a lot better than we showed to start the year, though.  That was a schedule - lack of camp - playoff hangover - anomaly.

• Like 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

I think it would be hilarious if somehow Canucks get in and Montreal and Calgary are out. What would people say then? I’m sure there would be something to complain about but you know what I’m saying.

Couple big games against Montreal and Winnipeg each and guess what Canucks have a week off. It’s possible 

Oh yeah... that’s why we keep watching!  Would be beautiful.  

Cheers! 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

I’m leaning towards that as well.  We caught a bit of lightning in a bottle last summer (and then lost a few key guys).  

This group is still growing and there’s enough moving pieces that the past 2 months make a lot of sense.  

I do think we’re a lot better than we showed to start the year, though.  That was a schedule - lack of camp - playoff hangover - anomaly.

Very true.

Demko.... then some more Demko

when we are worried he's tired. Holtby should bring him some Gatorade and fan him with a big Banana leaf feed him some grapes and then we go with .... you guess it.

Demko for the rest of the season.  

8 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I think what happened in the bubble last year made fans believe the team was further ahead than it was. Remember this team was barely going to make the playoffs last year. Even I had high expectations. Having time to think about it I realize that I made the mistake of thinking they were on the verge of being elite right away. I think they still need to add pieces to be a contender. I think they over achieved in the bubble which led to unrealistic expectations. As I said before I am just happy Demko has taken over and ran with it.

were gonna have a better second half, the first 25 games didn't give the team much time to recover between games. the team, and not just demko is playing way better than the first 15-20 games. Hamonic is maybe only just getting into game shape, motter's coming back and wait till EP40 comes back. Give the team a break, boy did they get a rough start.

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

yeah the 40% powerplay over the last doze or games is really bad. how do you suggest we improve from the hottest PP in the nhl?

I prefer to use a larger sample size to increase statistical certainty. We are below average there is no way around that, which I could live with if we didn't have such offensive potential in our players. 

1 hour ago, -Moose said:

Demko's not out?

Remember how when the Canucks went and got Luongo they instantly got better? 

Well, Demko has arrived. They’re winning.

As well, the parity between teams really isn’t that great. Not showing up for the Ottawa games could’ve been season killing. 

They found a way to win both.

Thats all that matters.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Canucklehead53 said:

I prefer to use a larger sample size to increase statistical certainty. We are below average there is no way around that, which I could live with if we didn't have such offensive potential in our players. 

oh, but not playing with miller the first 3 games should be included, ad how about ep40 9 posts? a little luck and we'd be near the top.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Just a reminder on a night that Zibanejad has a 6 point night and an NHL record that the Sens traded him and a 2nd for Brassard...

Oh and they lost their 5th straight against us. 

For a team that’s not relatively that old they sure have had their share of misery.

This is exactly why I don't buy into these doomsday posters regarding Benning, or really, anyone else on this team. No one is infallible.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

oh, but not playing with miller the first 3 games should be included, ad how about ep40 9 posts? a little luck and we'd be near the top.

Statistics actually account for things like that. Every team goes through good and bad experiences and every team has excuses when they need to. 

When the power play works, it looks good because they seem to be focused on pretty goals but when it isn't working it has been quite embarassing. Good with bad but overall we are below average and it shows more often then not - tonight, it was terrible again. I hope to eat these words when we finish the season with the best power play but I just don't see that happening based on a fairly large sample size.

I like to put on rose coloured glasses but I just can't justify excluding samples that don't support my glasses. 

• Cheers 1