The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 17, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Great post. I agree completely. I think he's trying to let them grow through making mistakes as well in hopes that it pays off in the future with them being more complete players. It might be a bit of sacrificing wins right now in terms of playing the game the right way, and not bailing out sooner. But you like you said maybe it has to adapt to the personnel if it's not working. 

With regards to the system I'm not going to argue that. It's not my favorite system (collapsing) and it's not sexy but again the players aren't executing well there either. In that system you don't really collapse as much as you cover the point men, the middle of the net and keep in-between their players and the net. However you can't just sit there either you're supposed to be out on the dmen right in their face so they can't just toss the puck around. We let them do this because we're tired most of the time. Eventually that draws Edler and Myers out of position and then we're all gassed. That's on the players.

I'm not saying it's not Green's fault at all, just that all these bandwagon posters jumping on the 'it's all Green's fault train', aren't being very analytical or honest at all in their assessment.

Green is doing fine look at all our old coaches with there teams 5th place chasing last playoff spots. AV lost 9-0 to the rangers with ahl coaches for an example they all go through blunders .....

4 hours ago, Canucklehead53 said:

If league average is the goal then that means that is extremely underachieving given the player we have on our power play. 

If they are top 5 then I will happily enjoy a plate of crow. Top 10 is where I think they should be - with essentially any coach with a pulse running systems. Anything less I would like to see someone else have a chance to coach our power play systems. 

Our system is extremely hot and cold. I think we need someone with a few more ideas so when one isn't working then they try the others. 

Can you honestly say that you are happy with Brown and want to see him extended? Because all I am saying is I want to see someone else come in and try to unlock the fill potential of these guys. 

well you see, they had a really bad january and february. so to become tenth overall by the end of the year would require us to score at 30% for the remainder of the season. maybe we can get 13th but we would have to shoot at a 27%

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The fact that Hollywood could in the span of a decade and a half destroy two franchises is just mind boggling to me. 

(Star Wars and Star Trek)

Maybe even 3 with Battlestar Paranoia. 

Both those franchises were on that road before the current studios drove them off the cliff.  I still loathe the SW prequels (saying they're miles better than the last few movies isn't saying much).  

Star trek Nemesis was garbage.

Still, put in the hands of the right creative person (John Favreau) proves that a movie franchise can return to it's former glory.

Just my opinion though.

• Hydration 1

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Lol.

Markstrom is still a top goalie. It was always about the length of his contract.

It is possible for both of them to be good goalies. Crapping on Markstrom doesn’t make Demko better.

I didn't realize top goalies let in 7 goals per game and get pulled after the 2nd period 2 games in a row.  Show me a top goalie in the NHL where this has happened.

Markstrom was a late bloomer, he was on waivers 5 years ago at age 25.  He had 2 really good seasons with Vancouver under Ian Clark.  He never deserved a 6x6 contract. Only Calgary was stupid enough to give it to him.  That contract will be one of the worst in the league in a couple years.  Without Clark Markstrom will be a .900 SV% the rest of his career.  People on this forum were crucifying Benning for letting Markstrom walk.  Looks like Benning will get the last laugh at all the Monday morning quaterbacks on this fourm.  Demko is going to be s superstar, a Vezina trophy winner.  Drafted by Benning. 

Keeping Demko and letting Markstrom walk was the absolute best decision Benning has ever made.  I'm not actually trying to crap on Markstrom.  It's more to do with the people in this forum crapping on Benning on a daily basis and never giving him credit for his brilliant decisions.  Keeping Demko and letting Markstrom walk was a brilliant decision.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Only Calgary was stupid enough to give it to him.

Calgary is the offer Jacob accepted, it might not have been the only 6x6 offer.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This isn't really true though.  People tend to just put their own narrative on this if it isn't factual (so don't buy in!).  We're not as bad as people have made us out to be...their suffering is exaggerated and gets louder in a strength in numbers way.  They lose perspective of how hard this deal really is.

Have we waited longer than anyone?  Sure.  But not "this" team and that's what gets thrown into the blender at times.  They own only the past few years, not all of it.

In the past 20 years (Canadian teams):

Canucks:

Made the playoffs:  13/20

Won one round: 5/13

Won three rounds:  1/13

(Lost in first round:  6/13)

Last year:  Qualified/second round exit

Maple Leafs:

Made the playoffs:  8/20

Won one round: 2/8

Won two rounds: 1/8

(Lost in first round:  5/8)

Last year:  DNQ

Oilers:

Made the playoffs:  4/20

Won one round:  1/4

Won three rounds:  1/4

(Lost in first round:  2/4)

Flames:

Made the playoffs:  10/20 

Won one round:  1/9

Won three rounds:  1/9

(Lost in first round:  7/9)

Last year:  Qualified/first round exit

Jets:  (10 year history)

Made the playoffs:  5/10

Won one round:  1/10

Won two rounds:  1/10

Won three rounds: 1/10

(Lost in first round:  2/10)

Canadiens: 

Won one round:  4/20

Won two rounds:  2/20

(Lost in first round:  6/20)

Senators:  

Made the playoffs:  12/20

Won one round:  3/20

Won three rounds:  1/20

Last year:  Did not make qualifying round

It's about keeping perspective.  Sure, half of this is accredited to the Sedin era and the success of the team 10 years ago but keep in mind that it's a transition, not a "jump" to replacing that team and starting over.  It doesn't happen overnight.  They thought it could be a retool and then rethought that.  So sure, we've missed most of the past 7 but do we look better than the lineup in 2014 in relation to promising young talent?

This is NOT to argue that some changes likely could help the current state and that we aren't "convincing" quite yet.  But is part of that could be attributed to the circumstances and not being able to really judge accurately during the schedule?  Somewhat.  The picture isn't clear because the schedule isn't normal and people who ignore than really aren't willing to accept any argument that goes against their own.

I feel like people who act like we're long suffering don't understand what that really can look like (check our earlier history when, over the first 20 years, we never made it past the first round except in '82).

Immediate gratification age.  Scream and be heard that "I want it all and I want it now".

It's no secret that our goaltending has been critical in any success at all.  Not sure most teams don't have "something" that they count on.  Not many teams have it ALL in place because it's a moving parts deal and everyone is after the same ones.  We're not as bad as people make us out to be - some patience is required as we adapt to:  COVID, key players leaving/new players coming on board.  Some of the games we lost were ones we easily could've won had those goalpost shots been 2 mm's left or right.  Then the lack of confidence started to factor in.

The fire Benning/Green/everyone brigade often just barrels along like that in their tank.  But I feel like we owe it to the Peteys/Quinns/Brocks/Hogs/Demkos and Bos to exercise a bit of patience.  We celebrate wins because they get to.  That matters...we don't want them demotivated and broken down as they own some of the "failures"...it's important to also give some credit for wins, even if they're not pretty.  They hung in there.  

I want players, coaches, and management who take ownership of their own team successes and failures. None of them should be criticized or held responsible for “failing to win for 50 years.” Ironically very few fans have suffered with the team for that duration yet many  point to it when listing their gripes and lack of patience.

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I didn't realize top goalies let in 7 goals per game and get pulled after the 2nd period 2 games in a row.  Show me a top goalie in the NHL where this has happened.

Markstrom was a late bloomer, he was on waivers 5 years ago at age 25.  He had 2 really good seasons with Vancouver under Ian Clark.  He never deserved a 6x6 contract. Only Calgary was stupid enough to give it to him.  That contract will be one of the worst in the league in a couple years.  Without Clark Markstrom will be a .900 SV% the rest of his career.  People on this forum were crucifying Benning for letting Markstrom walk.  Looks like Benning will get the last laugh at all the Monday morning quaterbacks on this fourm.  Demko is going to be s superstar, a Vezina trophy winner.  Drafted by Benning. 

Keeping Demko and letting Markstrom walk was the absolute best decision Benning has ever made.  I'm not actually trying to crap on Markstrom.  It's more to do with the people in this forum crapping on Benning on a daily basis and never giving him credit for his brilliant decisions.  Keeping Demko and letting Markstrom walk was a brilliant decision.

If he let's Clark walk, his level of genius will need to be questioned.

5 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Is it strategy or do we not have the horses? 

Against Vegas, I might concede we didn't have a big / fast enough team but Mtl seems to be a strategy or skill issue... 

At this point, the only thing that has remained intact is the staff cause our roster has somewhat been re vamp and it really depends on who you ask.

21 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

If he let's Clark walk, his level of genius will need to be questioned.

Yeah, it would be very prudent for the company to sign Clarke long term but after reading an article (not sure where), it seems that Clarke is mentoring an X goalie, Curtis Sanford.  Perhaps with the orgs tendency to give (cheaper) unknowns a chance, they might be looking at Sanford but who knows and Imo, a mistake not to sign Clarke.   

31 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This isn't really true though.  People tend to just put their own narrative on this if it isn't factual (so don't buy in!).  We're not as bad as people have made us out to be...their suffering is exaggerated and gets louder in a strength in numbers way.  They lose perspective of how hard this deal really is.

Have we waited longer than anyone?  Sure.  But not "this" team and that's what gets thrown into the blender at times.  They own only the past few years, not all of it.

In the past 20 years (Canadian teams):

Canucks:

Won one round: 5/13

Won three rounds:  1/13

(Lost in first round:  6/13)

Last year:  Qualified/second round exit

Maple Leafs:

Made the playoffs:  8/20

Won one round: 2/8

Won two rounds: 1/8

(Lost in first round:  5/8)

Oilers:

Made the playoffs:  4/20

Won one round:  1/4

Won three rounds:  1/4

(Lost in first round:  2/4)

Flames:

Made the playoffs:  10/20 

Won one round:  1/9

Won three rounds:  1/9

(Lost in first round:  7/9)

Jets:  (10 year history)

Made the playoffs:  5/10

Won one round:  1/10

Won two rounds:  1/10

Won three rounds: 1/10

(Lost in first round:  2/10)

Canadiens: 

Won one round:  4/20

Senators:  

Made the playoffs:  12/20

Won one round:  3/20

Won three rounds:  1/20

Last year:  Did not make qualifying round

It's about keeping perspective.  Sure, half of this is accredited to the Sedin era and the success of the team 10 years ago but keep in mind that it's a transition, not a "jump" to replacing that team and starting over.  It doesn't happen overnight.  They thought it could be a retool and then rethought that.  So sure, we've missed most of the past 7 but do we look better than the lineup in 2014 in relation to promising young talent?

This is NOT to argue that some changes likely could help the current state and that we aren't "convincing" quite yet.  But is part of that could be attributed to the circumstances and not being able to really judge accurately during the schedule?  Somewhat.  The picture isn't clear because the schedule isn't normal and people who ignore than really aren't willing to accept any argument that goes against their own.

I feel like people who act like we're long suffering don't understand what that really can look like (check our earlier history when, over the first 20 years, we never made it past the first round except in '82).

Immediate gratification age.  Scream and be heard that "I want it all and I want it now".

It's no secret that our goaltending has been critical in any success at all.  Not sure most teams don't have "something" that they count on.  Not many teams have it ALL in place because it's a moving parts deal and everyone is after the same ones.  We're not as bad as people make us out to be - some patience is required as we adapt to:  COVID, key players leaving/new players coming on board.  Some of the games we lost were ones we easily could've won had those goalpost shots been 2 mm's left or right.  Then the lack of confidence started to factor in.

The fire Benning/Green/everyone brigade often just barrels along like that in their tank.  But I feel like we owe it to the Peteys/Quinns/Brocks/Hogs/Demkos and Bos to exercise a bit of patience.  We celebrate wins because they get to.  That matters...we don't want them demotivated and broken down as they own some of the "failures"...it's important to also give some credit for wins, even if they're not pretty.  They hung in there.  

well said Deb.

the boy's have been improving every game, there's a stark difference between Jan and now. That should be enough for most people

Honestly, alot of us put high expectations/hopes for the team,myself included. realistically we are 2 years away, and it's not a sure thing. We probably need  three more homerun picks and 3 or 4 of our current prospects to graduate. Benning still has to sign the big three to deals that maximize our window, but doesn't hamper resigning boeser and horvat. It's much more likely we become just a perrenial playoff team, that will likely see our GM trade our future for a playoff run or 2.

• Like 1