The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Sabres fire Krueger amid 12 game winless skid

Rate this topic

https://www.tsn.ca/buffalo-sabres-fire-head-coach-ralph-krueger-amid-12-game-winless-skid-1.1609004

The Buffalo Sabres have fired head coach Ralph Krueger in the midst of a 12-game winless skid.

The Sabres made the move after their loss to the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday, dropping their record on the season to 6-18-4. The Sabres, who last won on Feb. 23, have an NHL-low 16 points, and just two points in their past 12.

Krueger was in his second season behind the bench in Buffalo. He led the Sabres to a 30-31-8 record last year in the COVID-19 pandemic-shortened season. They failed to make the qualifying round of the playoffs. He was signed through next season at a salary of $3.75 million, which the Sabres will have to pay out.

Prior to his time with the Sabres, Krueger spent five years as chairman of Southampton Football Club in England. Krueger also coached Team Europe to second place at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey, losing to Team Canada in the championship game.

Krueger’s first head coaching job in the NHL came with the Edmonton Oilers in the lockout-shortened 2012-13. He was fired with a 19-22-7 record.

Edited by Hamhuis Hip Check
2 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Bout time.

Bring on Gallant. 

Sooo many awesome pieces in place there, yet they can’t get it together. 

I think depends if Gallant is in talks with the Kraken... If I were in his place I'd rather take a chance there than this iteration of the Sabres.

Could see them trying to snag Karl Taylor from Milwaukee, or maybe signing on Claude Julien for the rest of the year, if he'd even want to coach this clusterf*ck.

Just love how other teams don’t like ineptism in their organizations and are making changes. Meanwhile our owner just stands pat agrees to this mess in management 

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Just love how other teams don’t like ineptism in their organizations and are making changes. Meanwhile our owner just stands pat agrees to this mess in management 

With Green, it feels like we could potentially squeak out a Cup on a fairy tale run, but that we wouldn't be dominant or have many good shots to win the Cup. This is the main reason I would want Green gone, as I prefer a team that has many chances to win and is consistently competitive in our prime years.

Edited by c00kies

I wanted Krueger here in an executive role before he went to coach in Buffalo, he seems to have much more success running teams than coaching them. I'd still be interested to see what he could do in a prescient of hockey op's role, which I think we do need back here.

11 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Potential candidates

Bruce Boudreaux

Gallant

Babcock

Julien

they should just hold a fan contest for the rest of the year. Live the dream and be an NHL coach for a few weeks. 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1
9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wanted Krueger here in an executive role before he went to coach in Buffalo, he seems to have much more success running teams than coaching them. I'd still be interested to see what he could do in a prescient of hockey op's role, which I think we do need back here.

Ya, better executive than coach.  Surprised to see him behind the bench in Buffalo.

Can't fire the players, so it's the coach

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, better executive than coach.  Surprised to see him behind the bench in Buffalo.

Can't fire the players, so it's the coach

what a disaster. I don't think any coach pulls that team out of the crapper this season but I guess somethings gotta give somewhere when its that bad. I wonder if Eichel suddenly gets healthy. 

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I think depends if Gallant is in talks with the Kraken... If I were in his place I'd rather take a chance there than this iteration of the Sabres.

Could see them trying to snag Karl Taylor from Milwaukee, or maybe signing on Claude Julien for the rest of the year, if he'd even want to coach this clusterf*ck.

Thought that Seattle was going to wait till the end if the season to do their coaching search.  Wonder if Francis is not hoping on Brind’Amour who is on an expiring deal.  

Buffalo probably needs an experienced coach or they are just going to continue to spin their wheels.  Buffalo has cut down on scouting personnel dramatically and have invested into advanced stats - would expect that it’s going to extend beyond just scouting.  Ownership in Seattle calls analytics a way of life.  Unless Gallant has become more open about using data he might be too old school for either of those organizations.

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Thought that Seattle was going to wait till the end if the season to do their coaching search.  Wonder if Francis is not hoping on Brind’Amour who is on an expiring deal.  

Buffalo probably needs an experienced coach or they are just going to continue to spin their wheels.  Buffalo has cut down on scouting personnel dramatically and have invested into advanced stats - would expect that it’s going to extend beyond just scouting.  Ownership in Seattle calls analytics a way of life.  Unless Gallant has become more open about using data he might be too old school for either of those organizations.

thats an interesting comment. They could potentially go from a horrible team with great picks to a horrible team with bad picks with that move, if their analysis isn't better than experienced scouts. I'd be very worried if the Canucks took this pov on scouting. 

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats an interesting comment. They could potentially go from a horrible team with great picks to a horrible team with bad picks with that move, if their analysis isn't better than experienced scouts. I'd be very worried if the Canucks took this pov on scouting. 

It’s indeed risky, there needs a combination.  There’s a balance in Vancouver.  It’s still in person but it looks like they’ve introduced analytics/video review too.  Brackett said they looked into analytics to draft someone like Gaudette.  Canucks have also hired Ryan Biech a few years back for their video and analytics.  He used to do those prospects projections using analytics for Canucks’ Army.  At the draft Benning  praised how he prepared analytics/video for the scouting staff.

On Buffalo.  Friedman actually had a comment on that in his 31 Thoughts of this week:

The Sabres staff is thin — likely the thinnest in the NHL. As more and more scouts from other teams return to the road, they don’t see much Sabres representation. Video scouting is absolutely necessary, and they’ve definitely made that investment. However, you cannot use it as an excuse to eliminate boots on the ground, especially now that the Canadian junior leagues are revving up. You might get 25 to 30 views of draft eligibles between now and the 2021 selections.

• Hydration 1
2 hours ago, Maginator said:

Never liked Krueger really. He was pitiful with the Oilers and just as pitiful with Buffalo.

That record is absolutely abysmal though.. 6-18-4?! Yiiiiiikes.

Didn't the Oilers improve the season he was coaching the team?

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he seems to have much more success running teams than coaching them.

What hockey team has he actually ever managed?  I know he's coached extensively, but was he ever a GM of a successful hockey team at any level?  I'm not criticizing your comment jimmy, I just never knew he was a hockey GM in the past?