The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Sabres fire Krueger amid 12 game winless skid

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Maginator said:

Never liked Krueger really. He was pitiful with the Oilers and just as pitiful with Buffalo.

That record is absolutely abysmal though.. 6-18-4?! Yiiiiiikes.

Especially considering they've had eight top ten draft choices in a row, including a 1st overall, and two seconds. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Thought that Seattle was going to wait till the end if the season to do their coaching search.  Wonder if Francis is not hoping on Brind’Amour who is on an expiring deal.  

Buffalo probably needs an experienced coach or they are just going to continue to spin their wheels.  Buffalo has cut down on scouting personnel dramatically and have invested into advanced stats - would expect that it’s going to extend beyond just scouting.  Ownership in Seattle calls analytics a way of life.  Unless Gallant has become more open about using data he might be too old school for either of those organizations.

I'd be onboard getting Brind’Amour as head coach. Geez, the guy turned a Zamboni driver into an NHL all-star goalie and beat the Make Believes! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mll said:

It’s indeed risky, there needs a combination.  There’s a balance in Vancouver.  It’s still in person but it looks like they’ve introduced analytics/video review too.  Brackett said they looked into analytics to draft someone like Gaudette.  Canucks have also hired Ryan Biech a few years back for their video and analytics.  He used to do those prospects projections using analytics for Canucks’ Army.  At the draft Benning  praised how he prepared analytics/video for the scouting staff.

On Buffalo.  Friedman actually had a comment on that in his 31 Thoughts of this week:

The Sabres staff is thin — likely the thinnest in the NHL. As more and more scouts from other teams return to the road, they don’t see much Sabres representation. Video scouting is absolutely necessary, and they’ve definitely made that investment. However, you cannot use it as an excuse to eliminate boots on the ground, especially now that the Canadian junior leagues are revving up. You might get 25 to 30 views of draft eligibles between now and the 2021 selections.

I'm glad the Canucks didn't go this way for sure, no particular approach has all the answers so I'd be looking to do as much of both as I could. Even when there's a difference in a report between analytics and scouts, or between scouts ftm, figuring out why there's a dispute likely leads to a better understanding about a player and your scouting system. Just going full on one way or another is scary.

I have to wonder how long the Sabres stay in Buffalo at this rate. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

What hockey team has he actually ever managed?  I know he's coached extensively, but was he ever a GM of a successful hockey team at any level?  I'm not criticizing your comment jimmy, I just never knew he was a hockey GM in the past? 

going off the Euro soccer success. I think the team building approaches would be transferable skills at the big picture level. 

Always admired Ralph's communication skills, seems like a very intelligent man. Looks like he is not head coach material though. X and O's and getting players to bite on your plan and play as a team takes a certain personality and experience.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Just love how other teams don’t like ineptism in their organizations and are making changes. Meanwhile our owner just stands pat agrees to this mess in management 

Because Buffalo is suddenly not inept because Kruger is gone? They've been garbage for a decade and gone through multiple GMs and coaches. Stop with the dumb takes.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Other than two fairly major issues (Skinner contract - wow! and no starting goalie) the Buffalo Sabres roster composition is quite impressive.  They have a great mix of elite young talent, strong young talent and the right veterans in players like Staal.  It's baffling to look at that roster and see the outcome.  Has to be something around the overall team culture as it doesn't add up. 

This is probably a situation where Buffalo needs a Sutter, Torts, Babcock type coach for a couple years to get the foundations back in place.

17 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Just love how other teams don’t like ineptism in their organizations and are making changes. Meanwhile our owner just stands pat agrees to this mess in management 

I love how everything that happens in the league turns to a shot at our management and ownership even when it has nothing to do with our management and ownership. 

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I'd be onboard getting Brind’Amour as head coach. Geez, the guy turned a Zamboni driver into an NHL all-star goalie and beat the Make Believes! 

I agree with this. In addition motivation seems to be the real issue in Vancouver. And I'd rather have Brind'Amour than Gallant any day. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm glad the Canucks didn't go this way for sure, no particular approach has all the answers so I'd be looking to do as much of both as I could. Even when there's a difference in a report between analytics and scouts, or between scouts ftm, figuring out why there's a dispute likely leads to a better understanding about a player and your scouting system. Just going full on one way or another is scary.

I have to wonder how long the Sabres stay in Buffalo at this rate. 

Working in analytics (not sports) relying solely on them is never a good idea, they are a supporting tool to help guide, or back up decisions being made. In the business world we get many chances to update and test models and predictions. In the sporting world you get the minute details frequently but the overall package to test can take years to bear out, you screw up you model you can screw up the team. 

I do t think there is a substitute for scouts on the ground, analysts can help support where to look and then validate their views but it shouldn’t be the only selector as context can be lost when presented in clear simple ways. 

also you could have the best analytics team but if the people reading and interpreting that data don’t grasp it correctly and understand the pitfalls you still get garbage decisions. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Working in analytics (not sports) relying solely on them is never a good idea, they are a supporting tool to help guide, or back up decisions being made. In the business world we get many chances to update and test models and predictions. In the sporting world you get the minute details frequently but the overall package to test can take years to bear out, you screw up you model you can screw up the team. 

I do t think there is a substitute for scouts on the ground, analysts can help support where to look and then validate their views but it shouldn’t be the only selector as context can be lost when presented in clear simple ways. 

also you could have the best analytics team but if the people reading and interpreting that data don’t grasp it correctly and understand the pitfalls you still get garbage decisions. 

Has any team had huge success with a focus on analytics? Most GM's that go that route I've noticed tend to have very short terms and make very bad decisions. 

33 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Has any team had huge success with a focus on analytics? Most GM's that go that route I've noticed tend to have very short terms and make very bad decisions. 

No idea as I don’t follow it enough. But I would imagine it’s probably because the GMs want short term results and the stats to ‘tell them’ 

Analytics in sports can be bother short and long term, using it to breakdown successful plays and opponents play styles is great. Can be done short term, looking at who you want to draft and the style of player you want is more long term 

7 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

isn't the most crucial piece of financial projections in the notes and assumptions? same thing with hockey analysis. People get roasted for still preferring the old "eye test" but so much of what I see from so-called hockey analytics experts is based on assumptions that we're just supposed to do a fly-by on I guess.

its like the guys claiming Myers is in the worst 1% of d men, when it gets that obviously bad in the analysis its time to shift the model or the assumptions in it, not double down on it. 

On 3/17/2021 at 8:04 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

I wanted Krueger here in an executive role before he went to coach in Buffalo, he seems to have much more success running teams than coaching them. I'd still be interested to see what he could do in a prescient of hockey op's role, which I think we do need back here.

For some reason I thought he did a decent job in Edmonton   I liked the guy.

But the responses on this board seem to say otherwise. 

And I agree with you about the exec. Bit 

• Cheers 1