The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jimmy Vesey | #24 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, SNuck said:

Can't really get enthused by a guy that refused to play for and whined his way off multiple teams, but at least he's cheap. 

Unfortunately my Wife is a Leafs fan...So, we've watched plenty of their games around these parts.

Vesey always seemed very uninspired and unmotivated, he has a bigger body on the ice, but doesn't really use it effectively at all.

He just filled a sweater, didn't really help the Leafs, but also didn't really hurt them, either.

• Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

Why not? Legit question, I don't know much about him.

Feels like he played the Predators.  Their development coach was talking to him several times a week, breaking down video for him and giving him advice for improvement all through his college years.  He attended all the development camps on his own dime and even stayed longer at the last one to help out at their hockey clinic and train.  When asked if he would sign he answered that he was a very loyal person.  Nashville passed on adding at the TDL believing that he had agreed to join once his season ends - he would be their deadline add.  They felt betrayed given all the investment in his development and how they were talking regularly.  They really never expected that he was going to walk.

• Cheers 2

He's basically Virtanen 2.0 so make of that what you will.

In any event, this could also mean that the Canucks might be seriously considering moving Pearson/Motte before the TD and Vesey has been brought in to cover on the LW.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 2

Low risk, moderate reward.

Hopefully we see him with Sutter and Gaudette.

Gives us a bit of LW depth (most of ours is on the right), cheap guy, good size, some promise, no quarantine issues like a call up would have.

Good move.

Hopefully prelude to a trade towards the TDL as well.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Never know might be a Leivo type player for us. He was pretty good before his injury.

Id be cool with that 

you mean we are bringing him in to showcase him for Calgary to sign this summer

Slick move Jimmer , very underhanded

• Haha 2

Good move...adds depth.  Vesey has some offensive upside and good size.  I think this would like great:

Boeser Miller Hogs

Pearson Bo Virtanen

Vesey Petey Gaudette

Hawryluk Beagle Sutter (and when Motte returns, Hawryluk Sutter Motte for the 4th line)

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, lmm said:

no risk?

bringing Leafs stink to our bunch of clear livers is always a risky move

how is jimmer making out on the "Character guy" scale?

I think the NHL has purchased a huge Leaf Blower that takes the stink right off them after they get infected, before they go to a different franchise. As far as character this guy held out on two teams after college and seemed to carry quite the ego. However, that's not that unordinary in first and second year pros. Hopefully this is a situation where he realizes how lucky he is, he's matured a bit, and has become capable of being a good team guy. He did say he's stocked to be a Canuck so that's a good start. 

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

you mean we are bringing him in to showcase him for Calgary to sign this summer

Slick move Jimmer , very underhanded

I think bringing in Hawrluk was the right move. Injuries like that would scare me too. Leivo hasn’t been very effective since imo 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Unfortunately my Wife is a Leafs fan...So, we've watched plenty of their games around these parts.

Vesey always seemed very uninspired and unmotivated, he has a bigger body on the ice, but doesn't really use it effectively at all.

He just filled a sweater, didn't really help the Leafs, but also didn't really hurt them, either.

So Jake Virtanen 2.0?

11 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I swear you just described Virtanen's tenure with the Nucks haha. 

There should be zero optimism about this player.  He has no upside.  With that said, there should also be zero negativity.  He has no downside.

Be real people - the needle will not move with Jimmy Vesey.  He will provide neither a positive nor a negative impact to the Canucks roster.

The only real benefit to this move is if the Canucks can move out an expensive bottom 12 player they have an inexpensive bottom 12 player that can be thrown out there as a warm body.

Edited by Dynamic Innovator
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 4