The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Clark chances of contract renewal

Rate this topic

Isn’t he from here?

Also wouldn’t he wanna keep working with one of the best up and coming young goalies in the league? Isn’t that why you do the job?

• Hydration 1
7 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

My impression of him is that it’s both.

I don't know, I don't think he's the type to say things just to stir the pot for clicks/listens.

He has to keep good relationships with people inside every organization. He starts doing stuff like what you're suggesting, he'll lose his lifelines.

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Isn’t he from here?

Also wouldn’t he wanna keep working with one of the best up and coming young goalies in the league? Isn’t that why you do the job?

yeah, i think he's just tryna stir the pot here, i doubt benning just forgot about him... lol also with aquaman behind him with the covid watch, i guess we'll see

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Still plenty of time after the trade deadline, which should be the top priority for Benning.  If it doesn't get done I won't be happy, but it's not time to panic yet.

here the thing yes there is time left, but if you listen to woodley interview on both 960 and the vancast he said the same situation happened in Columbus where he had no contract offer in March and left. 

52 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I am sure that JB will appreciate Friedman reminding him of this. Probably JB wasn't even aware that Ian's contract was expiring, and was even less aware that Ian has any value to the team.

Because as our "realistic fans" never get tired of pointing out, JB is just a blind squirrel fumbling around aimlessly and occasionally getting lucky. 

It it is critical that we dump JB immediately, before he throws away all the great assets he has been fortunate enough to have fall into his lap despite his clear incompetence.

Ideally we get rid of him before the entry draft, because without Brackett there to hold his hand, his employment history makes it clear that he has no clue whatsoever about how to evaluate the quality of young players.

I know you're being completely facetious yet I agree with everything. 

:ph34r:

• Huggy Bear 1
12 hours ago, FijianCanuck said:

Maybe clarke wants to leave?

Apparently, if he doesn't sign an extension before the season starts he has always went to a different team and a new challenge. He didn't sign one. I'm sure all the kids will be on here bashing Benning soon enough.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Everyone knows I think Benning has done his fair share of stupid things but even I don't think Benning is capable of doing something as stupid as letting him go for no good reason.

It takes two to tango; it's very possible Clarke's ask is absurdly high and you can't really blame him given the work he's done here. He likely knows other teams will match his ask, so he has the leverage. If I'm a team that has really struggled in the goaltending department as of late, why wouldn't I headhunt him?

If we're penny-pinching, that's on Aquilini. But I doubt Aquilini thinks that a goalie coach is an optional asset.

I think this is a significant story on its own but it's definitely being exacerbated by the recent departures of other seemingly key members of the organization like Brackett and Malhotra.

Maybe it's nothing, but there's a lot of smoke.

Aqua has a son or nephew that can coach goalies, right.

how hard can it be?

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

Elliotte is bitter that his Laffs have lost 5 of 6....so he's parrotting the second hand drama peddled by Woodley....

EF's best material does tend to be derivative.

Anyhow - yawn.    

If Clark wants to return - great.

If not, I'm sure the Leafs or Flames will be happy to continue to follow in Canuck footsteps....

man you watch more "Media Sports" than I watch spots

Do you collect "Media Cards" too

What are the advance stats on Woodley?

serious question, who is Woodley?

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Isn’t he from here?

pot smoke getting to him

13 hours ago, Josepho said:

The Canucks literally have the worst 5v5xGA/60, 5v5SCA/60, and 2nd worst 5v5HDCA/60 in the entire league.

I think your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning Josepho

14 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Why? We have Baumgartner. Who do you think is making him look good? Baumgartner's system. That's right. 

Just now, CaptKirk888 said:

I think your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning Josepho

i'm new here so it's kinda hard to tell lmao

i've had actual discussions with people irl about this sort of thing.

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Isn’t he from here?

I think he just likes the challenges of turning franchise goaltending around. Imagine he goes to Edmonton:p

A goaltending coach also helps others, too, as they see things from that side of things:

Canadian Press
March 17, 2021, 10:15 PM

OTTAWA -- Adam Gaudette says he owes goalie coach Ian Clark for his shootout skills.

The Canucks centre scored the first shootout goal of his career on Wednesday to lift the Canucks to a 3-2 victory over the Ottawa Senators.

"I have to give credit to (Clark) who gave me a couple of shootout ideas last year, and in practice the other day we were working on it as well. I just had a move in my mind and stuck with it," said Gaudette, who deked around Filip Gustavsson and tucked it inside the near post.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I am sure that JB will appreciate Friedman reminding him of this. Probably JB wasn't even aware that Ian's contract was expiring, and was even less aware that Ian has any value to the team.

Because as our "realistic fans" never get tired of pointing out, JB is just a blind squirrel fumbling around aimlessly and occasionally getting lucky. 

It it is critical that we dump JB immediately, before he throws away all the great assets he has been fortunate enough to have fall into his lap despite his clear incompetence.

Ideally we get rid of him before the entry draft, because without Brackett there to hold his hand, his employment history makes it clear that he has no clue whatsoever about how to evaluate the quality of young players.

Ding ding ding ding and off goes my sarcasm detector 

16 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Elliotte Friedman says Canucks should be signing Ian Clark's extension now.  Says waiting will bite them. Thoughts?

For me it seems to be a no brainer.  If JB's hands are tied by ownership he should be finding a way.  If Aqua has not been involved then it seems very curious.

Has Clark expressed a desire to go elsewhere?  I have not heard that reported.

Meanwhile... why is DiPietro still not playing anywhere...

Thanks all. Look forward to hearing your comments.

It is far from a "no brainer" as there may be a LOT of things in play including Ian's preference.   He is a great coach but a very quirky guy and he may already want to try something different.   

I find it amusing how many "experts" seem in the media seem to think it is always so easy to make things happen in professional hockey OR that if something doesn't happen the way they want it to, clearly either the GM is a moron or the owner in meddling.    Yes, owners want teams to fail and GMs don't want success ..... :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1