The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Clark chances of contract renewal

Rate this topic

On 3/17/2021 at 9:19 PM, aGENT said:

Is there ANY facts in this thread or just a bunch of melodramatic conjecture?

Melodramatic conjecture IS what we do here!!!

It's like you don't know this board at all! :)

• Haha 3

Wow Canucks are taking off around the league coaching wise. Clark looks like he needs some respect,  because he's the next on to be scooped up. 

I'm still choked about Manny. That was so dumb. 

• Upvote 1

Ian Clark is probably saying to Jim he wants to be able to have professional autonomy and hire his own assistant if he needs one.   The ungrateful SOB will go the way Brackett did if he doesn't realize soon that JB is top dog, and will decide how he operates and who assists him.  That's the only way Jim can claim partial coaching credit in Demko's improvement too!  Is there anything Jim can't do?!   In Benning we trust.  

On 3/18/2021 at 8:59 AM, lmm said:

man you watch more "Media Sports" than I watch spots

Do you collect "Media Cards" too

What are the advance stats on Woodley?

serious question, who is Woodley?

I watch and listen to absolutely no ''media sports' whatsover.  Can't be bothered / w.o.t. / so much noise.

Google is really simple = "Ian Clark + Woodley".

Smarm/panic - source of the drama and anxiety - easily identified.

You don't even really need to Google - this stuff gets parroted endlessly whenever one of these attention-seekers rings the 'alarm bells'.  Easy market to bait.

• Hydration 2
36 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Ian Clark is probably saying to Jim he wants to be able to have professional autonomy and hire his own assistant if he needs one.   The ungrateful SOB will go the way Brackett did if he doesn't realize soon that JB is top dog, and will decide how he operates and who assists him.  That's the only way Jim can claim partial coaching credit in Demko's improvement too!  Is there anything Jim can't do?!   In Benning we trust.  

how surprising - @kilgore taking the liberty of speaking for both of them.

lemme guess - this is from the same 'source' as your last run of imaginary quotes

and you think Benning is petty.

On 3/17/2021 at 2:05 PM, boscorevat said:

I have read somewhere that the Canucks haven't renewed Ian Clarks contract yet and also he most likely won't come back next year. He wasn't offered an extension when he was with Columbus mid-season and walked after the season. I would really hope that the Canucks would renew his contract but I don't think that's gonna happen. What do you guys think about his chances of getting his contract renewed? I don't think he'll be back but I really hope that I'm wrong since he's a great goalie coach. I think that if he leaves, then I don't think Demko will be the same without him. I think he should be a top priority to get re-signed because of how well he develops goalies. If I'm wrong about my statement about Clark, then I hope someone could enlighten me.

Let’s give the owner and upper management a chance to assess and come up with a plan; this shorten season seems to had showed a lot of things the team needs to work on/change and hopefully, by the timeline JB had outlined in his press conference those things would had been ironed out & the anchor contracts would be off the books.

Imo, with the owners tendency to hire (cheaper) lesser knows a chance, they are probably looking at Curtis Sanford (who is closely working with Clarke) as a possible replacement (?).   Preferably, I hope Clarke stays and there is probably a good chance some internal conversation(s) are probably taking place (with verbal agreements) and the announcement(s) are mostly just formalities to cement the deal.   

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I watch and listen to absolutely no ''media sports' whatsover.  Can't be bothered / w.o.t. / so much noise.

Google is really simple = "Ian Clark + Woodley".

Smarm/panic - source of the drama and anxiety - easily identified.

You don't even really need to Google - this stuff gets parroted endlessly whenever one of these attention-seekers rings the 'alarm bells'.  Easy market to bait.

you are my main source for stuff like this

if not for you and a few selct others who constanly complain about media, I'd never have heard of these people.

Kinda funny that you are the one bringing these types up, but you expect me to look them up

why would I?

you seem much more interested in what they have to say

• Hydration 1
On 3/17/2021 at 7:06 PM, kanucks25 said:

Everyone knows I think Benning has done his fair share of stupid things but even I don't think Benning is capable of doing something as stupid as letting him go for no good reason.

It takes two to tango; it's very possible Clarke's ask is absurdly high and you can't really blame him given the work he's done here. He likely knows other teams will match his ask, so he has the leverage. If I'm a team that has really struggled in the goaltending department as of late, why wouldn't I headhunt him?

If we're penny-pinching, that's on Aquilini. But I doubt Aquilini thinks that a goalie coach is an optional asset.

I think this is a significant story on its own but it's definitely being exacerbated by the recent departures of other seemingly key members of the organization like Brackett and Malhotra.

Maybe it's nothing, but there's a lot of smoke.

So whats a good goalie coach worth?  We aren't talking about an amount that goes against the cap. If it means an extra 200 k more than what you think a guy like that should be paid you cave and keep him .

This is the most important position on the team and if he's making a difference you don't let him go.

• Huggy Bear 1
On 3/18/2021 at 8:12 AM, WeneedLumme said:

I am sure that JB will appreciate Friedman reminding him of this. Probably JB wasn't even aware that Ian's contract was expiring, and was even less aware that Ian has any value to the team.

Because as our "realistic fans" never get tired of pointing out, JB is just a blind squirrel fumbling around aimlessly and occasionally getting lucky. 

It it is critical that we dump JB immediately, before he throws away all the great assets he has been fortunate enough to have fall into his lap despite his clear incompetence.

Ideally we get rid of him before the entry draft, because without Brackett there to hold his hand, his employment history makes it clear that he has no clue whatsoever about how to evaluate the quality of young players.

Its true.   We need lumme.  

• Haha 1

Has anyone considered that maybe Ian Clarke wants to leave?  His family lives in the east and he's probably getting tired of never getting to see them.  The past 2 seasons, he hasn't even been able to visit them during breaks in the schedule; due to Covid regulations. 

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Has anyone considered that maybe Ian Clarke wants to leave?  His family lives in the east and he's probably getting tired of never getting to see them.  The past 2 seasons, he hasn't even been able to visit them during breaks in the schedule; due to Covid regulations. 

No, no... Coaches, scouts etc never leave to advance their careers elsewhere or for family reasons etc.

If ANYONE leaves it's clearly because Benning is incompetent and the organization is a mess.

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, oldnews said:

how surprising - @kilgore taking the liberty of speaking for both of them.

lemme guess - this is from the same 'source' as your last run of imaginary quotes

and you think Benning is petty.

lol.   This from the only person in Vancouver that somehow didn't hear JB say we would be contenders in 2 years.  And more, refuses to believe any sources that quoted it.  I'm still puzzled as to why you want to die on that hill. Instead of just letting it die on the vine.  I wasn't going to bring up that embarrassing episode again.

Easy to find other sources by a couple minutes googling

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/vancouver-canucks-day-to-day-plan-continues-to-carry-on
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/canucks-gm-jim-benning-provides-excuses-not-accountability-3519799
https://www.burnabynow.com/bc-news/canucks-gm-jim-benning-provides-excuses-not-accountability-3519799
https://www.mitchelladvocate.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/vancouver-canucks-day-to-day-plan-continues-to-carry-on

What is really bizzare is that you still stubbornly refuse to accept what both pro and anti Benning folks agree with.  But its "fake news" :lol:

If you stick to your opinion that JB would not possibly say that, as you seem to be,  and all the radio shows and papers, and Twitter, all made up that quote,  I'd like to know what you believe JB actually thinks.  Really.  Do you, (and him) believe we will win it all this season?....or the opposite, it will take another , what, 7 years?

12 minutes ago, kilgore said:

you posted a fake quote in that thread - and you know it - and have been backtracking and sidetracking since. 

go bump that thread if you need to - fill your boots.

another quality fantasy conversation you've posted in this one....

er Clark is probably sayingz...

Benning is probably thinkingz....

cool sourcez.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

you posted a fake quote in that thread - and you know it - and have been backtracking and sidetracking since. 

go bump that thread if you need to - fill your boots.

another quality fantasy conversation you've posted in this one....

er Clark is probably sayingz...

Benning is probably thinkingz....

cool sourcez.

That's okay, Oldie,  I'll spare you the further embarrassment.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

GIFs of Dogs Chasing Their Tail. 40 Animated Images

:lol:

Perfect!  YOU brought it up!  Still thinking if you try once more, you can catch your tail.

Sigh.  Okay....once again, I, (and many others), were listening to an audio interview, where JB said he thought the team would take another two years to be a contender.  I quoted that to a post immediately.  Because it was heard and gone, I may have jumbled the exact words in order, but not the meaning.  Is that what you are nit picking about? Then minutes later others....REAL hockey writers I'd think even you could respect ...quoted JB saying the same thing.  I thought maybe it was just because you only accept a written quote from an industry voice, But then you double down and say that even those are fake.  :wacko: 

I respect a lot of your takes in here, I don't know why you insist on reminding everyone how you got that one wrong.