The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Clark chances of contract renewal

Rate this topic

boscorevat

On 3/18/2021 at 3:03 PM, Squamfan said:

here the thing yes there is time left, but if you listen to woodley interview on both 960 and the vancast he said the same situation happened in Columbus where he had no contract offer in March and left. 

This is a different type of year so not too sure you can really look at past situations and project into this one. Would suck if we don't/can't sign him but we'll have to wait and see what shakes out.

On 3/18/2021 at 8:03 AM, Squamfan said:

here the thing yes there is time left, but if you listen to woodley interview on both 960 and the vancast he said the same situation happened in Columbus where he had no contract offer in March and left. 

:frantic:

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

100%

You don't let the best goalie coach in the league just walk after what he's done with Markstrom and Demko.

what if he's a professional and just wants to move on to a new organization for legitimate reasons? what exactly are you going to do about it? 

............don't forget the other poll question in this forum (What is your assessment of our coaches?) that asked us all about coaching and what we thought should be done.   The vast majority of us want extensive coaching changes across the board after this season.  If I recall, only 9% said they'd re-sign TG now.   That tells me that most everyone is fed up of the psychotic/Schizophrenic ineffective coaching style taught by our illustrious AHL level coaching staff.  They will NEVER take this team to the promised land.  Travis hates change and never will do so.  Just look at what's happened since EP40's been out injured the last 2 weeks.  He's finally been forced to shake up the lines - and VOILA, just look at the results.  They speak for themselves.   That's why TG and the special teams coaches All have to go because they are incapable of thinking outside the box and hate change and anything new.

My money says that there will be significant coaching changes coming in the next 18 months as we unload > $40M of bad contracts and our star players begin to move into their prime and will require superior NHL experienced coaching staff to take them to the next level, which we all sadly have to admit, this band of characters is unable to do.  

Edited by RU SERIOUS

11 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Pay him lots of money and provide an environment he wants to work in. 

people like this can go wherever they want to. I hope he stays, but there's nothing you can do if someone wants to move on. Doesn't mean anyone is an a$$hole. 

I don't know if "he just wants to move on for no reason" is the likeliest scenario.

This organization has  a history of treating good employees on expiring contracts (Hamhuis/Tanev/Brackett/Matthias/Santorelli/Richardson/Stecher being some examples)  like garbage and they don't exactly deserve the benefit of the doubt. They could be doing it again, or Clarke could be turned off by this organization's history.

Edited by Josepho
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Josepho said:

I don't know if "he just wants to move on for no reason" is the likeliest scenario.

This organization has  a history of treating good employees on expiring contracts (Hamhuis/Tanev/Brackett/Matthias/Santorelli/Richardson/Stecher being some examples)  like garbage and they don't exactly deserve the benefit of the doubt. They could be doing it again, or Clarke could be turned off by this organization's history.

Hmmm many of these guys left from when Benning was in charge seems like a pattern

59 minutes ago, Josepho said:

For some reason I tend to put a bit more blame on weisbrod for this than Benning. (Although JB ultimately is responsible)

There were reports even during Gilman and Linden's last days that Weisbrod was the real control freak in the front office. And egos aside if your GM can't multitask. The asst GM should be keeping tabs on people they want to retain rather than leave them in the dark. I'm  thinking Tanev here. We did give him a call indicating we wanted him back but that was insultingly after the eleventh hour with all other options gone 

• Vintage 1

I can see Calgary poaching him soon. Markstrom would be lobbying his hiring for sure. The Flames seem to reach out and talk with OUR players/coaches, and actually tell them they are wanted, which isn't in JB's wheelhouse.  He will assume Clark KNOWS he is wanted here, and why wouldn't he just wait around?  Then it will be "I ran out of time" again. 

I hope I'm wrong.

42 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I can see Calgary poaching him soon. Markstrom would be lobbying his hiring for sure. The Flames seem to reach out and talk with OUR players/coaches, and actually tell them they are wanted, which isn't in JB's wheelhouse.  He will assume Clark KNOWS he is wanted here, and why wouldn't he just wait around?  Then it will be "I ran out of time" again. 

I hope I'm wrong.

Although Clark grew up in Vancouver, he probably wants to return to his family in the eastern US.  It's been a tough time for him; due to Covid restrictions and he has undoubtedly missed his family dearly.  If he doesn't re-sign with the Canucks, I suspect he will be signing a contract in a location close to where his family lives.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, sockeye said:

With what Ian has done with Marky and Thatcher, we would be crazy not to at least make a solid effort to re-sign Ian Clark.  

Why is anyone assuming they aren't trying to keep him? Cuz Jud?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

As much as I want to keep him, there is still a difference between wanting to keep him and expecting him to stay. If he ultimately chooses to move on, expecting us to keep him at that point is nothing more than having self-entitlement issues in my opinion. People read too much into stuff that hasn't even happened yet.

The contract's not over. so just chill. B)

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DSVII said:

Because he would have had a contract extension by now. Same reason people are saying we may move on from Green.

there are coaches and staff all over the league that are on their last year because of the uncertainly of the cap and revenue, you'd think that would be the overriding idea here, but it seems like any chance to $&!# on Benning is the prime reason for posts on here sometimes. Now that we know most people will be vaccinated in a few months and there will be bums in the seats again we'll start to see staff extensions again. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there are coaches and staff all over the league that are on their last year because of the uncertainly of the cap and revenue, you'd think that would be the overriding idea here, but it seems like any chance to $&!# on Benning is the prime reason for posts on here sometimes. Now that we know most people will be vaccinated in a few months and there will be bums in the seats again we'll start to see staff extensions again. 

Yeah, I'm a little amazed at how many people on this forum look at this season like it's a normal season. It's just isn't which throws a lot of so called "logic" out the window.

I'm not saying Benning's a saint by any means, and I definitely have my criticisms of him, but some of the hatred lately doesn't really have much thought behind it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1