Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can We Just Talk About Demko For A Minute Here...

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

Between 2011-2015, Yzerman drafted Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Point, Palat, Cirelli, Namestnikov, DeAngelo, and Joseph - the highest pick among them was 19th overall.

 

It's definitely impressive though. In his very first draft with the Bruins (2006), Chiarelli drafted Kessel, Marchand, and Lucic - that one draft was a big part of their cup win. But outside of the picks he got from Toronto for Kessel (Seguin & Hamilton), he didn't find another really great player until his last draft in 2015 (Pastrnak).

Yzerman is probably the 2nd best drafter in the NHL. Kucherov in the 2nd and Point in the 3rd is pure highway robbery. 
 

His later picks seem to be better than his top picks though. Vasilevskiy at 19 was a home run, but his pick prior to that at 10th overall was a complete bust, Slater Koekkoek.  Although he could be a part of the all time name team. 

Namestnikov and Joseph aren’t really impressive and DeAngelo never played for him and maybe will never play again in the NHL.  Still impressive though. 
 

Moritz Seider looks like a franchise defencman so he’s continuing where he left off with Detroit as well. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tas said:

I'd probably take the guy that won the hart 2 seasons ago. 

and you need to go back a decade of drafts in the case of Kucherov.

and pay him the 9.5 million until 2027 if you want to make that trade.

 

And still - the point remains - can even a skater like Kucherov steal games the way a dominant goaltender can?  Skaters play in units (can't be separated from who they play with, the context they play in) - you can make the case that a goaltender is also playing in a unit, part of systems - and there's certainly truth to that - but on another level, they stand alone as the last say - and can have as big - and continuous - an impact as any skater.

 

Kucherov isn't the only great 2nd round pick to be considered - off the top of my head there are also guys like Sebastain Aho, Debrincat, William Karlsson (from Kucherov's draft).  And I'm probably missing a few other obvious inclusions.

Boone Jenner is an under-rated favorite of mine as well.  Hoglander might prove to be yet another one of the best 2nd round picks in the past handful of drafts...

Carter Hart - someone I named earlier - also a 2nd round pick - but as great as he is (and a player I saw many times in the W) I'd stick with Demko.

But again, can any of those skaters above impact/dominate games - continuously - to the extent that dominant goaltending does (the only guy that plays 60 minutes)?  It's debatable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, oldnews said:

and you need to go back a decade of drafts in the case of Kucherov.

and pay him the 9.5 million until 2027 if you want to make that trade.

 

And still - the point remains - can even a skater like Kucherov steal games the way a dominant goaltender can?  Skaters play in units (can't be separated from who they play with, the context they play in) - you can make the case that a goaltender is also playing in a unit, part of systems - and there's certainly truth to that - but on another level, they stand alone as the last say - and can have as big - and continuous - an impact as any skater.

 

Kucherov isn't the only great 2nd round pick to be considered - off the top of my head there are also guys like Sebastain Aho, Debrincat, William Karlsson (from Kucherov's draft).  And I'm probably missing a few other obvious inclusions.

Boone Jenner is an under-rated favorite of mine as well.  Hoglander might prove to be yet another one of the best 2nd round picks in the past handful of drafts...

Carter Hart - someone I named earlier - also a 2nd round pick - but as great as he is (and a player I saw many times in the W) I'd stick with Demko.

But again, can any of those skaters above impact/dominate games - continuously - to the extent that dominant goaltending does (the only guy that plays 60 minutes)?  It's debatable.

I feel like the difference in impact between an average goalie and demko isn't as great as the difference between an average winger and a 130 pt hart trophy winning winger like kucherov, but that's just one man's opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2021 at 11:47 AM, Odd. said:

Demko > Hughes > Petey

IMO: Demko > Hughes = Petey

 

People really underestimate Petey because of his play this season. He may not have dominated any games and light the world on fire this season (which I still believe he would've if we get to play against teams that he has historically have more success against like Nashville, St. Louis, Colorado etc.). However, I did realize that the team is less effective in generating offense and scoring chances with him out. Demko is playing absolutely lights up right now to steal us game after game, bit of we had Petey, we could with both games in Ottawa in regulation rather than have to setting for OT and S/O wins.

 

Also I read another post that the Lotto line is 4th in the league in 5 on 5 goals scored as a line. Without Petey, I am sure this number takes a hit.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Those Islander teams were stacked Nuxfan. Who will become our Clarke Gilles? Jon Tonelli? Bill Nystrom? Butch Goring?

Lots of support shoes to fill before we reach that level. But I am stoked about this team’s potential.

Yeah, that they were. The team with the record, 19-consecutive PO series triumphs. Man..can y'imagine what That feels like?!

 

Wonder if any team will ever challenge such a number, in what feels a scripted era of parity & reff-rigging?

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

New contract talks have started on Demko

 

 

man thats great news on Demko, glad they are working on that early. I'm guessing 4 years 4.5 mil per, or 5x5 if they go longer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2021 at 11:55 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko is a future Vezina trophy winner.  He may even win the Hart trophy.  At 25 he is fully matured and ready to take on the world.  If we ever make the playoffs he could pull a Patrick Roy and get us to the promised land.

 

Demko, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Podkolzin, Hoglander.  Has any GM in history drafted so many superstars outside of the top 3 picks in a 7 year period?

Its a little early to be calling any other than Petterson and maybe Hughes (he is defensively terrible) a true superstar though. All on that list COULD be, but their sample sizes are too small still.

 

I personally think Demko will be. Boeser I don't (very good top 6 guy though). Podz and Hoglander no one knows yet.

 

Benning has done a good job drafting. There is no need to overstate it though or suggest he is the best drafting GM in history. Too many clear whiffs to say that imo. As high picks go, Virtanen and Juolevi mark an otherwise great run of picks.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Solid deal and a good bet to make on Demko.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Excellent deal in fact. Demmer doesn’t have to be elite but if he can be above average for the course of the 5 years, then this deal will be so worth it. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I hope Pearson gets traded 

Almost guaranteed he will be resigned. Feels like a Benning 4 years at 3.75 mil contract. At the lowest.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Almost guaranteed he will be resigned. Feels like a Benning 4 years at 3.75 mil contract. At the lowest.

Will have to wait & see what the covid economy will have to say during FA.   If he signs then great and if not then a cheaper rookie/option will get his minutes.  

 

I still hope that JB can trade him for something...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2021 at 12:04 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Yzerman is probably the 2nd best drafter in the NHL. Kucherov in the 2nd and Point in the 3rd is pure highway robbery. 
 

His later picks seem to be better than his top picks though. Vasilevskiy at 19 was a home run, but his pick prior to that at 10th overall was a complete bust, Slater Koekkoek.  Although he could be a part of the all time name team. 

Namestnikov and Joseph aren’t really impressive and DeAngelo never played for him and maybe will never play again in the NHL.  Still impressive though. 
 

Moritz Seider looks like a franchise defencman so he’s continuing where he left off with Detroit as well. 

Seider caused some gasps at the draft.   Best RHD in the draft hands down but most had him in the low 20's.   Wouldn't be against the guy though.   There were folks on this site that wanted Seider too, and even at 10 it was a little off-board.

 

Factually TB is the best drafting team since JB took over.   Their ADP is in the high 20's yet continue to have a pool that hovers around 9-15 overall.    Hoping JB can do the same when it's our turn to draft in the latter part of the first round. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Almost guaranteed he will be resigned. Feels like a Benning 4 years at 3.75 mil contract. At the lowest.

Ugh.   I hope this is just postering.   Sure our LW is weak.   But we could also do so much better.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...