The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 19, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

9 hours ago, GoCanucks16 said:

why do we have the loser point again?

montreal has 8 points from losing games this season... not cool tbh

Simple solution:

2 points for a regulation win.

1 point for an overtime win either 3 on 3 or shootout.

0 points for any loss. 

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Simple solution:

2 points for a regulation win.

1 point for an overtime win either 3 on 3 or shootout.

0 points for any loss. 

Players would be so cautious in OT even more so then now. Make for a hell of a last 5 mins in the 3rd though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Soccer fans everywhere say that's for sure ok, and it's the most popular sport in the world.  IF there was no lockout, the shoot-out wouldn't exist.   There have been grumbling for awhile that it could be cancelled.   Don't know if Bettman will allow it as he's shown a propensity to ignore what fans like, and a stubbornness not to correct things he's done wrong (ARI, FLD and even a cup winner CAR team)....

For me at least, it's completely ridiculous.   3 x 3 OT is for sure enough, since that came in (because folks were tired of too many games being decided on shoot-outs) way more wins have occurred then 4 x 4 and 5 x 5 OT.  

Time to kill the shoot-out.   Teams STILL play for the "tie",  they thought this would stop it.   It hasn't.   Now teams just go for the gauranteed loser points instead.   There is absolutely nothing wrong with a tie.  

Edit:  There is a reason playoff hockey is the best season to watch.   Refs (at least for now ...) only call plays that actually affect the plays in a real way and let the little stuff go.  And if it's tied at the end they add periods until it's decided as team.  Not some ridiculous gimmick.   I'm glad Horvat didn't look like he gave a sh!t in the world trying to score last game in the shoot-out.   It's just stupid. 

I am reassuming my ‘lose for the pick mantra’! Another strong JB draft picking at a #10 or higher outweighs a short playoff fling. This season has clearly shown how far the group still has to go. 

2 hours ago, tas said:

or maybe because no one wants to spend 3 hours watching a game only to have it end in a tie. 

Your reply makes no sense to the original question of why is there even a loser point or even my response to the query....a game can end with a winner either in reg, OT or skills competition and still not need a loser point....the loser point is a participation ribbon, it rewards failure. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes it is.   I will begrudgingly admit i watch the shoot-outs ... but win or lose it always just doesn't feel the same.   Maybe if we badly outplayed them and win it feels pretty good.    But that's about it.   Loser points also changed what getting 100 points in this league used to mean.   It used to mean an incredible accomplishment.   We did it in 93 and a couple times with the WCE era teams ... outstanding.   Wonder what our 117 or so points look like by taking away any OT/Shoot-out wins - making them ties... don't know because it's not like Luongo was very good at it lol.   There was a time when 90 points was good.   Now 100 points is the new 90, and 110 points is the new 100. 

they're all just meaningless numbers. who cares?

all I know is that 4v4/3v3 ot would be way less exciting with both teams playing not to lose. 

2 minutes ago, CrippledCanuck said:

Your reply makes no sense to the original question of why is there even a loser point or even my response to the query....a game can end with a winner either in reg, OT or skills competition and still not need a loser point....the loser point is a participation ribbon, it rewards failure. 

if teams secure the 1 point in regulation, they can play overtime to win instead of being afraid to lose. it's more exciting, better hockey. 

6 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

well this season went from bad to worse....

Definitely know what you mean...

The Canucks have won six of their least seven.

Absolutely unacceptable. It does not go with the narrative of most fans.

Imagine if they make the playoffs, or better, if they barely miss...

I think they should just sit the rest of the season. Middle of the ice. Don’t even bother suiting up.

Fire Benning before they win much more.

Edited by Me_
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1