The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Pettersson does skate like Gretzky though stylistically. If you watch Petey when he's going full blast, he looks hunch backed reminicient of the great one

That slap shot on the red wings too. I’m talking points wise and expectations. I love Petey and he’s one of the best.

4 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You're a dr and a pro hockey player now?

Quite the resume... where do you find the time?

Yes a man of many talents 

seriously though you do have to watch for signs of mental health issues. There are so many people that have coping issues. 

have a good one man  

30 minutes ago, apollo said:

Yup he really does have the same form. 

I don't think it's fair to Petey or anyone from this Era to be compared to Wayne. None of these guys have the pleasure of shooting on goalies who really don't have much of a chance with terrible gear 

Wayne was way ahead of his time but I doubt he gets remotely close to his old stats in current league. Does he get 1000 less Assists because the guys he passes to can no longer score on terribly weak shots? 

When u wrist the Puck with the with no power and you score 500 goals like that cuz the goalie barely covers 10% of the net with their brutal gear 

Long story short I think Wayne is the most overrated athlete of all time probably 

Ugh.   Apollo i'm sorry you didn't get to watch him play, if you did you wouldn't be making those statements.   Also as far as actual goalies go, they had excellent ones back then too - don't be fooled by their size, it made it harder for sure equipment wise but the shooters also all used wooden sticks which was a bit of an equalizer ... and guys like Al Mac and Ifrate could blast them as hard using those as Weber with his today ...

I think you've got it wrong in today's game too.   With no red line?   No interference?  No hitting?   WG would be just as good today shooting against today's goalie's with those elements also taken into consideration.   Simply put WG was the most dominating player in the history of all pro sports.   His WHA team moved to the NHL... a league that proved with a court order that could match or exceed what the NHL could do ... at 17.   

If you just want to even out save percentages ... Ok.  If his career the average was around .900 and today it's .910....what's the actual difference?  Minuscule.   If you want to go at .880 to .915 what's it then?  Still not much ... even if you reduced WGs points by 1-5% most of his records would still stand and it would barely touch it.

Another way to look at it is WG last peak year was 93...sure he won one more Art Ross in 94, but he wasn't the same then.  In his 30's back was so sore he almost retired twice etc.    Then finished his career in his mid 30's in the dead puck era and still outproduced virtually every star who carried on to play in the 2000's which is an era i know you do know.

In today's game,  in a mediocre team, 18-33 year old Gretzky would eat this league alive.   Stastny, Hawerchuk, Yzerman et al couldn't touch him in the 80's ... he was outscoring the next best by 100 points at one point lol.    Simply put he was incredible.   Have a tape of his 50 best goals.   And that wasn't even his specialty.   Aside from an incredible shot for an EP sized guy... he thought the game better then anyone before or since - and invented moves never used but now are common place.   Mario was also an incredible player, but even he didn't match up.   Orr is probably the only other player that can.   EP IF he got better then his first 15 games and scored 180-200 points ... then yes he'd match up for one year anyways. 

Edit:  Will add this too.  Ovi is this generations Bossy - a pure shooter.  He could catch WG for sure.   That said there are two things that will be safe forever for WG.   He didn't feast on the PP, the majority of his goals came 5 x 5.   And check out how many shorty's he had.   He was so good at hockey, that going up against him on the PP wasn't really an advantage lol.  Cant remember exactly how many he had but think it's around 73-76.   Crazy. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 4

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Is this the same Petey who had 5 goals and 2 assists in his last 5 games prior this injury? The same Petey who was our best player in the playoffs not named Demko/Markstrom?

Yes exactly. Finn great player. I won’t stand for people’s delusional thinking and stupid expectations. Then they say he’s not a great player. 

if I could slap the guy I was responding too across the face I would 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think thats a little dramatic. Take off the Green goggles for a minute - don't you think he simply needs Vesey to be the skilled player he's shown flashes of? he's not going to do that in bottom 6 or plug minutes. With Petey and now Pearson out Green doesn't have many options and he's clearly hoping Vesey regains some of that scoring touch.

Motte is great, but with the injury to Beagle we need him shutting lines down, not playing with Bo. 

I for one would like to see Motte rewarded - but also get as a coach,  having Motte in the bottom six is a team strength and secondary scoring is a key to winning games.   Don't know enough about Vessey - but do see a pattern here in using Leivo over JV as well.    What i think is TG is just feeling him out to see what he can do.    That's not something to get crazy upset over ... on the flip side I really want to see Motter get some time with Horvat, team needs to score more goals and he's showing a natural ability to do just that - if he had 3 times the opportunity to score, and much better line mates to work with?  Could be like found money - a Burrows story really. 

Pearson ... well from where i'm sitting, do believe Motte would produce more then he has this year.     His ability to get pucks back, and pick them out of thin air is probably tops in the team.  Last year he was tops in the entire league during the time we had in the playoffs.   What has to be weighed is what can Vessey do in the bottom six. Won't know unless it's tried out.   Sutter, Beagle and Motte are for sure the heart of that unit ... that said it's not like the plugs/depth guys haven't done terribly either.   For me i like to reward production.   If the team knows it will be rewarded it's also motivator.   

Motte is so valuable in his role.   But his goals per sixty and ozone starts in relation to that suggest untapped potential as a top six 30 goal guy.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

We have a good team imagine if we had a half decent defensive coach this team would be right there with the top teams.

Hopefully next season we will, I don't wanna deal with another season of Baumgartner's ineptitude or our predictable powerplay. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I for one would like to see Motte rewarded - but also get as a coach,  having Motte in the bottom six is a team strength and secondary scoring is a key to winning games.   Don't know enough about Vessey - but do see a pattern here in using Leivo over JV as well.    What i think is TG is just feeling him out to see what he can do.    That's not something to get crazy upset over ... on the flip side I really want to see Motter get some time with Horvat, team needs to score more goals and he's showing a natural ability to do just that - if he had 3 times the opportunity to score, and much better line mates to work with?  Could be like found money - a Burrows story really. 

I guess who slots in for Motte if he moves up the lines? I think Motte would also take the W over getting time with Bo, he seems like the type that would do whatever was needed to win. I don't think we take 3/4 pts from MTL with Motte in the top 6. To me Motte is the ideal 3rd line guy, pesky, skilled, responsible, affordable. 

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Pearson ... well from where i'm sitting, do believe Motte would produce more then he has this year.     His ability to get pucks back, and pick them out of thin air is probably tops in the team.  Last year he was tops in the entire league during the time we had in the playoffs.   What has to be weighed is what can Vessey do in the bottom six. Won't know unless it's tried out.   Sutter, Beagle and Motte are for sure the heart of that unit ... that said it's not like the plugs/depth guys haven't done terribly either.   For me i like to reward production.   If the team knows it will be rewarded it's also motivator.   

Motte is so valuable in his role.   But his goals per sixty and ozone starts in relation to that suggest untapped potential as a top six 30 goal guy.  

I just don't see Vesey in a b6 role here, Motte is just too good in that role. 

Anyway, I get the decision, its not out of Green's arse and not worth a hair on fire moment. Maybe when Beagle is back we can see more line juggling but until that happens I think Motte has to be where he is, we're too thin without Beagle to mess with it imo. 

• Cheers 1

We missed Petey these two games. He would scored that goal we need, improved the PP, overtime, shootout. I believe also that if Beagle was in we would of held the lead at some point last night. Is what it is. Still think OJ should be in for Benn. 

Edited by rekker
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess who slots in for Motte if he moves up the lines? I think Motte would also take the W over getting time with Bo, he seems like the type that would do whatever was needed to win. I don't think we take 3/4 pts from MTL with Motte in the top 6. To me Motte is the ideal 3rd line guy, pesky, skilled, responsible, affordable. 

I just don't see Vesey in a b6 role here, Motte is just too good in that role. 

Anyway, I get the decision, its not out of Green's arse and not worth a hair on fire moment. Maybe when Beagle is back we can see more line juggling but until that happens I think Motte has to be where he is, we're too thin without Beagle to mess with it imo. 

You bet ... for me he's one of the players on the team that plays a vital role - hate to say this - but kind of like Hyman in TO - with the exception Motter hasn't been given a pile of minutes with a player like Mathews.    Vessey played in the bottom six too in TO, why not swap them out next game just to see how it goes?    For me at least, i see more then just an aggressive energy guy, and like i said earlier get he's so valuable in the bottom six and as a pk'er, i do get TG decision to go with the new guy and gauge him.   Vessey also has speed.    Maybe he will work out, maybe he's just a depth guy to keep the motor running, but i also get why some other posters have questioned that decision, gifted second line and first unit PP minutes.   Have to wonder what Motte can do with the same.   Manages to score goals at a very high pace with sometimes Sutter sometimes Beagle, not exactly gifted set up guys.    Pearson is out for a month and it's only been two games so time to make a switch or maybe keeps things the same depending on how it works out.

Edit:  On Pearson.  Sucks he's injured, to me he's the low hanging TDL trade bait OR a guy we could use if we manage to get out of where we are, depth is important come playoff time.    JB saying he wants to see about keeping him is ok - as long as the price is right.   Not sure if it isn't just lip service though, Bear and Spooner won't be enough cap savings to pay EP, QHs and Demko, so pretty much expect a guy like Vessey or Motte to replace him, for at least next season anyways.   And on Bear...why not get him here and give him some games? 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Personally think the luck evened out, should have beat MTL in regulation first game, should have lost in regulation last night - even with Demko in net.   

Demko has the entire team on his shoulders at this point.   Miller, BB, Horvat, Hogs etc have also played a big part during the time with no EP.   JB deserves some props for making sure this team has guys that can play multiple positions.   It's helped ease the loss ... team needs a boost right now so hope EP can come in and do something like he did the first 15 or so games of his career.   Get a ton of goals to make up for those posts and crossbars.   

TG gets too much heat on the outcome of every game.   It was the right call (Holtby).   We now only have a couple back to backs left in the season...other teams have 5ish.    Rest will favour Vancouver from this point on... every game being pretty much a must win .... that's a good thing too IF we manage to pull it off.   Doubt many teams would like to draw us out of the gate.   Pretty sure we'd add to the pile of first round exits if we made it and play TO for example. 

Yeah Demko has been the star of the show so far... 

Whether they make it or not, the most important thing is the team to try... They will learn lots from this regardless of the outcome, as long as they compete... So far without playing to the top of their ability, they have managed to put a nice little run together... 

Think they've earned the right to get at least 3 point out of the Montreal swing... Disappointed with the refereeing in the first game, and I don't often use that as an excuse, but it was really poor... yesterday we got a point, which may have been more than we deserved. 3 point are better than 2 so... we ought to be pleased at the end of the day... 

• Vintage 1

Kinda what you expect when the injuries start piling up. We just didnt have that extra gear. I think Holtby played just fine last night, 3 of the goals that went in went through 2–3 sets of legs, nothing he coulda done when our own players screen him and fail to block the shot. Given the fact we have been without Pettersson  for quite some time and now Beagle, Pearson and Sutter may be playing through something, I feel the team has been doing quite well. We just need to get some healthy bodies back. Pettersson would make a huge difference in these tight games. Lets just gear up and get ready for WPG, we picked up 3/4 points vs Montreal (unfortunately they also picked up 3/4) but atleast we are pushing games into extra minutes and picking up points. JV and Gaudette have finally found the back of the net and hopefully that trend continues. WHICH BY THE WAY. Gotta tip your hat to Green for putting Gaudette in the SO the other night, he got the monkey off his back on Wednesday and then gets a goal the next game.

• Vintage 1

Not even that upset over the SO loss, lucky to get there with only 15 shots on Price.

Canucks went into MTL without their best player (Petey) and took home 3 of 4 points. VAN is done with MTL now for the season. Need to win the next one at home.

• Vintage 3

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Riiiiiiiiight.

Yet another original “I hate Green” post for canucks2288.

Never ceases to amaze.

Tape worm style.

Absolutely nauseating ... 78" record length. He must be a robot built to annoy people. Could you imagine actually having to watch a game with a debbie downer like that? I feel sorry for his friends.

He has no other thought in his brain I guess. It's kind of like me criticizing the overnight rocket storage at NASA.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1