The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Even if it was a follow-through, the NHL needs to do a better job using their injured player rules to blow down that sort of play. When a player is hit in the face with a stick, is bleeding, and has gone down to the ice, the officials need to err on the side of caution and stop play to insure that player’s safety. Doesn’t happen enough in this league, and it really should, when it comes to issues like facial cuts near the eyes, head contact injuries, or bleeding incidents (although they have gotten better about skate cuts, thankfully), regardless of whether or not the refs determine it’s an infraction. And, of course, a stiff penalty should be assessed to any player who is later determined to have been faking injury to draw a whistle. I know Myers got up eventually and was ultimately OK, but the way he went down, and the obvious stick contact to his face (and very near his eyes), and him cut and bleeding, should be enough to quickly stop play and allow the trainers to check on him.

Ol' Bearcat woulda had that stitched up before the whistle blew

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Oh maybe Gauder heard footsteps; competition is always good. Vesey came in and snatched a spot, if you can't play we'll find someone who can. Graovac too, who's tough and good in face offs. I'm glad JB is bringing in new guys and taking Greens Louie and Michaelis away from him. Now we need more OJ.

Is a OJ sitting to avoid The ED?

Nope. If left unprotected, he is eligible to be selected by Seattle regardless of how many games he plays now.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

PREGAME | Travis Green

Anyone able to translate whatever the hell Drance was trying to ask in that last question?

I feel like he lost the plot a little bit...

Edited by Lewlowned
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I hate that Gary Galley guy. In a game against the Sens a couple of years ago (Petey's hat-trick game), he didn't even hide his homer favouring the Sens and he was so annoying to listen to. At the time, the Canucks still had a slim shot at 8th OA in the West while the Sens were buried down in the standings where playoffs were near 0%. Not saying the Canucks had a much better chance to make the playoffs, but they still had a better shot than the Sens. Throughout the game, this clown kept talk about Ottawa's "work ethic", "determination" and "play with pride" and completely ignored the fact that the Canucks dominated the play of the game but Hogberg (who just happened to played a great game) kept the game closer that it should be. When the Sens tied it late in the 3rd he was like "that is one point they were able to grip and they are now looking for another one to close in on the Eastern playoff race" I was like "what the &^@# are you talking about when it comes to playoff race?" I just wanted someone on the Canucks to "accidentally" deflect a puck at his face and knock of his teeth so bad throughout that game.

He also sounds a lot like Greg Millan, who I couldn't stand.

36 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Even if it was a follow-through, the NHL needs to do a better job using their injured player rules to blow down that sort of play. When a player is hit in the face with a stick, is bleeding, and has gone down to the ice, the officials need to err on the side of caution and stop play to insure that player’s safety. Doesn’t happen enough in this league, and it really should, when it comes to issues like facial cuts near the eyes, head contact injuries, or bleeding incidents (although they have gotten better about skate cuts, thankfully), regardless of whether or not the refs determine it’s an infraction. And, of course, a stiff penalty should be assessed to any player who is later determined to have been faking injury to draw a whistle. I know Myers got up eventually and was ultimately OK, but the way he went down, and the obvious stick contact to his face (and very near his eyes), and him cut and bleeding, should be enough to quickly stop play and allow the trainers to check on him.

EDIT: I think the simplest answer would be for any high sticking contact to immediately stop play. Then the refs can determine if a penalty is assessed or if there’s no infraction because of a follow-through. I’m sure there’d be a few instances every year where people would grumble about such a rule, but in most cases, I think we’d all be fine seeing the players protected in this way. Refs could still use their discretion, when it’s really incidental/grazing contact to a helmet, but for any stick to the face, or significant impact to the head, just blow the whistle and then sort out whether or not a penalty is warranted.

Perhaps the fact that he was down on the ice earlier and recovered quite quickly after the whistle had something to do with the non stoppage.

On another note, regarding the penalty on Roussel when the Hab's player fell.  All games are watched back in the NHL offices, and they call when a goal is scored that the ref's don't see.  So why can't they call in instances like that when it was clearly not a penalty.

30 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Nope. If left unprotected, he is eligible to be selected by Seattle regardless of how many games he plays now.

Fact is, on a team which has won 7 of their last 8, Juolevi isn’t as good yet, as Edler, Schmidt, Hughes, Myers, Harmonic or Benn.

I definitely want him in there. But I do understand why he isn’t in at this point. If an injury occurs, he’s probably in.

It’s a weird year. He probably would’ve been sent to Utica already to get some games and be the first to be recalled. 

But America is closed right now.

Edited by Me_
  • Hydration 1

1 hour ago, yes we can nucks said:

Does it really matter? Looking at our current roster .... Brock was pick #23, Hoglander #40, and Gaudette #149.  And our MVP Demko, #36! 

Hoping to have have a GM who can sink the gimmees along with a a good game from a distance.

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Fact is, on a team which has won 7 of their last 8, Juolevi isn’t as good yet, as Edler, Schmidt, Hughes, Myers, Harmonic or Benn.

I think this is arguable, they bring different skill sets and I think Green (or any coach) will go with the veteran known quantify when games are so important. If we had an 82 game runway I'm not sure we'd be seeing Benn-Myers over OJ-Myers. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think this is arguable, they bring different skill sets and I think Green (or any coach) will go with the veteran known quantify when games are so important. If we had an 82 game runway I'm not sure we'd be seeing Benn-Myers over OJ-Myers. 

Benn’s game is hot this year. Maybe next year Juolevi is gifted Benn’s spot... Maybe later during the year... 

But I like Benn’s game right now.

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, after last nights game there was an immediate highlights from Sportsnet and they edited out the interference & only showed the failed breakaway (perhaps Anderson was so shocked that they did not call it).   Also, went to a few Habs blogspot and it was not even mentioned - original six bias; LOSER got there second straight loser point.   

Wonder how the Zebras will be managing today’s game; nothing really special about that Habs team - imo cause outside of us they had been pretty much avg against other teams.   

This is why I’m hopeful that we can catch them. 

they are 5-0-3 against us. Guess how many games they are above five hundred? 5. Take out their record against us, and you have a mediocre team with 8-8-9 record. 

how about our Canucks?

16-16-2. Take out 3-5-0 record against them and you have a team playing over .500 with the record of 13-11-2. 

a regulation win would be great tonight. 

Edited by khay

53 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

EDIT: I think the simplest answer would be for any high sticking contact to immediately stop play. Then the refs can determine if a penalty is assessed or if there’s no infraction because of a follow-through. I’m sure there’d be a few instances every year where people would grumble about such a rule, but in most cases, I think we’d all be fine seeing the players protected in this way. Refs could still use their discretion, when it’s really incidental/grazing contact to a helmet, but for any stick to the face, or significant impact to the head, just blow the whistle and then sort out whether or not a penalty is warranted.

That was a very poorly reffed game

the kind of game where the reffs should be publicly called onto the carpet just like the players are when they transgress the rules.

the Roussell penalty should have been challenged, I don't think its in the rules, but it should be.

the high stick on Myers should fall under player safety 

the reffing crew should be looking at a demotion

Re Myers getting up after the first incident, players have tough games, it happens. Its not like he has a long history of diving.

Matt Tkachuk drws the most penalties... that right there is WWE quality reffing.

With all that said, many high sticks cause no iinjuries, so there is no need to go overboard with play stoppages because the refs had one bad game.

the refs should have to answer for their poor perfomance, but no need to change tthe rules

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, after last nights game there was an immediate highlights from Sportsnet and they edited out the interference & only showed the failed breakaway (perhaps Anderson was so shocked that they did not call it).   Also, went to a few Habs blogspot and it was not even mentioned - original six bias; LOSER got there second straight loser point.   

Wonder how the Zebras will be managing today’s game; nothing really special about that Habs team - imo cause outside of us they had been pretty much avg against other teams.   

They easily have the worst fans in hockey. Their GDT usually breakdown into crap slinging of the other team and complaining about the refs, with a dose of insecure rants about how good their young centres and prospects are.

But any fans that actively boo another countries National Anthem, is about as Dbaggy as it gets, followed closely by the Flames of course.

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Benn’s game is hot this year. Maybe next year Juolevi is gifted Benn’s spot... Maybe later during the year... 

But I like Benn’s game right now.

thats true, he has picked it up. He did play much better in the bubble too. I don't think it would be a gift, I do think OJ has earned a chance. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true, he has picked it up. He did play much better in the bubble too. I don't think it would be a gift, I do think OJ has earned a chance. 

Yes of course that is what I meant as well. 

Juolevi looks like a future Ohlund out there. I’m sure his understanding of the game is going through the roof right now. 

He’ll get his chance to finally turn full time. It’s very close for him. What surprised me most in the games he has played, is the cold blooded hits with a total lack of fear. 

He’s going to hurt opponents that kid.

Edited by Me_

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Juolevi certainly has the higher ceiling and, even right now, is probably the better puck mover. But he's also young, inexperienced and less consistent.

Benn for his own part, is playing pretty well at the moment and, as you hinted at, brings a certain amount of veteran stability and consistency. And stability/consistency is the one thing this team was missing in January and has desperately needed, in any measure, to get back on track here. 

While I too would love to see Juolevi playing and continuing to develop (I've been pumping his tires for years), I completely get why we're presently seeing Benn instead, in the context of this weird season and our poor/unstable start.

• Vintage 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS