The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, Apricot said:

Don't understand why Vesey is getting so many chances already 

At this point I guess it's just a culture thing with the team. He didn't look too bad though. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

The Leafs game ended like 10+ minutes ago... my blood is already boiling from the game, why am I watching a Leafs post-game show.

CBC Off, Rob Fai's the Nation on. :) 

• Cheers 2

All the hard work done on this road trip wasted.  Still 2 points behind habs.  
I know one should start the backup goalie in one of the back to back games in order to protect the starting goalie.  Totally understand.  But pls don’t start Holtby again until the Canucks knows how to limit the number on shots conceded.  Holtby is now just an average goalie.  Just look at the goals he has let in...

We were lucky to even get a point out of this game, just brutal sloppy play by everyone, we've reverted back to our start-of-the-season form and playing very similarly without the breakaways against. We're not playing cohesively anymore, slapping pucks up the ice and just not quick enough in the neutral zone. Too many turnovers, can't deal with a fast forecheck, Green and co. simply haven't figured it out and the season's just about over. We were dominated in this game and it was only because Holtby made some big saves at key times and Price didn't that we ended up in a shootout.

Top line had their good moments for sure, Miller was all over the ice but they were very much one-and-done opportunities, no real sustained pressure. 2nd line very similar, Vesey looked good at times but as a unit they really struggled to generate any sustained offence. Gaudette, Roussel and MacEwan look like they've got the most chemistry in the team and had the best sustained pressure in the whole squad. Sutter was pretty average tonight and our whole defence, namely Edler and Schmidt, were caught flat footed all night long. I thought Hamonic was strong physically and won a lot of puck battles and Hughes really struggles in his own zone physically, but then of course shone offensively 

As for Holtby, despite giving up 4 goals and losing a shootout I thought he played very well, made some massive saves but also let in a couple of clean-through shots. Yes, Demko would have saved about 2 of them and we could have won, but we can't ride Demko in back to backs or we'll burn him out.

On the whole, we walk away with 3 out of 4 points but also give up 3 points so not really a success but certainly not a loss and a big improvement compared to how we were playing earlier in the season. Stuck at .500, we need to string together another 7-3 streak now.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

Here’s the thing. Montréal was not the team we were likely to catch with so many games in hand. I knew it would be tough to beat them two in a row. 

Keep at it and we will catch Edmonton or Winnipeg. 

We don’t have to play Montréal again so hopefully they go on a tear and win some games against those other teams. 

Edmonton is coming together. We won't catch them. They're winning games consistently now by being the better team. 

We need their goaltending to implode to catch them. Lately they haven't had to rely on them at all. 

Just now, J-23 said:

Montreal deserved to win, lucky to get a point.

Needed more shots, 25-30 shots and this game would’ve been ours I think. Price was not good tonight.

i think, after mtl tied it up we should have reverted back to our scoring setup instead of our defending setup, we were not in a position to allow mtl to get any points.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, SNuck said:

At this point I guess it's just a culture thing with the team. He didn't look too bad though. 

Yeah he didnt look bad but I'm just annoyed that he was in OT, not Hoglander and then was chosen in shootout before Hoglander.