The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If you remember the Tortorella effect  - I'm not sure you'd say that.

This team is a lot more aggressive - when it can be.

The thing is - though - when you are missing a few centers - you adjust.

And when that adjustment requires that you either utilize Gaudette at center - or wear on 3 lines (they're kind of in between these two) - then they naturally seem a bit more 'passive' - in part because they don't have the same ability to push the pace, and to dictate.

For me - the 'process' is quite different - healthy team relative to where they are now (and were late in the playoffs)....

It''s not as simple as blaming the 'system' - or even the coaches. 

Hopefully Petey back soon

13 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

I’m fully aware of what Beags brings,huge loss,along with Petey

it also really highlights how gaudette is not a center that we can rely on. a third line center has to be able to defend much more consistently than gaudette can. i honestly wouldnt mind another the canucks aquiring another center that can play in all situations excels on third line duties and wouldnt look out of place on the top six. replace sutter and gaudette's salary for a 5 million dollar center and let michaelis be gaudette 2.0

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

it also really highlights how gaudette is not a center that we can rely on. a third line center has to be able to defend much more consistently than gaudette can. i honestly wouldnt mind another the canucks aquiring another center that can play in all situations excels on third line duties and wouldnt look out of place on the top six. replace sutter and gaudette's salary for a 5 million dollar center and let michaelis be gaudette 2.0

Desperate times call for desperate measures 

Edited by Cromeslab

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am frustrated we couldn't beat Montreal once in regulation. That is a lot of points to give up to them. Second best team the whole season against them for the most part.

They can do us a favour on Monday.

Oilers lose tonight and the Habs beat them on Monday. We would have a chance to move within 3 points of the Oilers.

With 3 more games played than the Habs after tonight. The Oilers are the more realistic team to reel in. 

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

One prob is I got this bent for wanting to recycle the past, & profit.

I'd long figured if we turned TP & BS into say, 2 2nds, maybe JB turns out another gem(or two)?

Then you're taking a key 2003 asset(the Kesler 1st) & turning into possibly 3 decades of good fun. But Hell, JB has made so many other great selections, all this projecting is likely pointless!

I won't argue with getting picks if possible - if they can't stay in the race - I might have dealt Pearson already - in the offseason - and Roussel - or Benn - as well, if possible...

But at the same time - in the same way the team valued the experience of playoff hockey - and were willing to spend to add Toffoli (intending no doubt at the time to re-sign him) - there's some value in having a guy like Sutter here helping provide real 'foundation' - as mocked as that concept is around here - the reality is that is the effect of guys like him and Beagle, on the lineup.  It's not really possible to separate the success of the young top 6 - from the opportunities they get.  That's not really the case if they just fill those holes with any replacement player - that may be the 'asset management' way of looking at it - but it's not necessarily the player development way of looking at it.

And the thing about the player development ('remaining competitive' - which is not the same as believing you are going to contend) - is that it also values your young player - your actual succeeding draft picks - the succession plans....I don't think the 'asset management' mentality is as prevalent among NHL teams - as it is with this fanbase (and not all teams have to try to balance/serve two masters in a sense, either - so I try to look at it from what I  perceive the viewpoint of the team-builders is.

Personally - I'd probably be in talks with Sutter and his agent in the present - to see what his intentions are in the offseason.   If he's not going to sign (at terms that make sesne for the team, at least there are some decent options hitting the market in free agency.

• Vintage 2

24 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I didn’t mind his game. I would have liked to have seen more battle on the screens instead of just freezing. That could have been from not playing.

On the other hand one could say Price almost lost that game for Montreal. But I’m not much for blaming goalie. Screens are a tough business much like in the other end where you don’t get many shots, you’re almost cold and you get scored on from an high percentage play 

I agree. On the Edmundson goal there are 4 Canucks and 3 Habs between the shooter and Holtby. I thought Price was beaten more cleanly on more stoppable shots.

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I wouldn't argue with that lineup.   I consider Miller the 'center' on the top line / I like the hybrid effect he has playing with EP - (win faceoffs, battle in the hard areas, particularly in the dzone)....

I'm surprised that you'd scratch Gaudette (I might as well) - and you've scratched Roussel as well in favour of Hawryluk - I've liked what I've seen of Hawryluk...

One thing that I think this stretch is showing - is how much serviceable depth they have at forward...(MacEwen also scratched from your lineup) - about a handful of taxi guys that have played well/haven't really hurt the team/given them a chance to win.

I've liked Vesey's play thus far - he stays engaged without the puck - does the things that Green would expect of him - he's fitting in well.

Gaudette isn’t a 4th liner or a centre so he’d have to get on that 3rd line which means taking out Vesey or Virtanen. At this point I’d take Virtanen and Vesey over Gaudette.  I’d also take Vesey over Roussel.  Hawryluk has played his way into the lineup and provides more on the 4th line than MacEwen.  We need to give Vesey a few games as I think he has the potential to be a good 3rd line player for us.

With everyone healthy we actually have good depth now.  We can fill a 5th line with Roussel, Gaudette and MacEwen.  This puts Eriksson permanently on the taxi squad where he belongs. You need depth to make the playoffs and do something once you get there.  With Juolevi we also have a guy who can step in right away on D as well. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I won't argue with getting picks if possible - if they can't stay in the race - I might have dealt Pearson already - in the offseason - and Roussel - or Benn - as well, if possible...

But at the same time - in the same way the team valued the experience of playoff hockey - and were willing to spend to add Toffoli (intending no doubt at the time to re-sign him) - there's some value in having a guy like Sutter here helping provide real 'foundation' - as mocked as that concept is around here - the reality is that is the effect of guys like him and Beagle, on the lineup.  It's not really possible to separate the success of the young top 6 - from the opportunities they get.  That's not really the case if they just fill those holes with any replacement player - that may be the 'asset management' way of looking at it - but it's not necessarily the player development way of looking at it.

And the thing about the player development ('remaining competitive' - which is not the same as believing you are going to contend) - is that it also values your young player - your actual succeeding draft picks - the succession plans....I don't think the 'asset management' mentality is as prevalent among NHL teams - as it is with this fanbase (and not all teams have to try to balance/serve two masters in a sense, either - so I try to look at it from what I  perceive the viewpoint of the team-builders is.

Personally - I'd probably be in talks with Sutter and his agent in the present - to see what his intentions are in the offseason.   If he's not going to sign (at terms that make sesne for the team, at least there are some decent options hitting the market in free agency.

Lol ON you never sugar coat it

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

we are like 2 losses away from the end of the world

What are you talking about? If we continue playing at 75% clip (like our last 10 games), we will make the playoffs. I know it's hard, but we just did it in the last 10 games, so in theory we can have 2 more sets of 10 games like that.

7 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

Hopefully Petey back soon

yeah.  and I'm not sure anyone could or should have expected more in his absence.

no EP, no Beagle, (no Motte, no Pearson...).....(no Ferland....no Bailey...)

They've had all of Michaelis, Hawryluk, LE, MacEwen, and now a waiver claim Vesey in the lineup.

And yet they've gone on a tear in the midst of it.

I'd say that's pretty impressive - and that if the coaching were as bad as suggested around here - that's simply not possible/not gonna happen.

The thing about blaming the coaches for everything - it suggests that the lineup - even when it has an entire taxi squad of replacement forwards in and out of the lineup - is SO GOOD - that it 'should be' getting even better results.  If it's that good - even with a handful of depth replacements - then the team-building efforts ie that idiot Bennig -  must be doing a pretty good job.   I think the truth is that it's more balanced accross the board  - they have good talent, have good coaching, have good depth, have drafted well and have a lot of youth -- and are doing pretty well for such a young - and makeshift - group.   I don't think any aspect in particular deserves an undue amount of credit or blame - even the young stars owe a measure of their success to their 'foundational' team-mates.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

They must have known it was coming because it was taken by a cop’s dashcam and he is yelling at the guy to get out of the way.

Is that a train or a truck? Either way, how is it completely immersed in flame during its descent? I’m always fascinated as to how these scenes came to be. 

Just now, RomanP said:

What are you talking about? If we continue playing at 75% clip (like our last 10 games), we will make the playoffs. I know it's hard, but we just did it in the last 10 games, so in theory we can have 2 more sets of 10 games like that.

cool, and we needed demko to play .950 hockey and the powerplay to click at a 2/5 clip to get that success. expecting that for twenty games? in this economy?

4 minutes ago, RomanP said:

Really just need to beat the right teams and have teams like Toronto, Winnipeg, and Ottawa do us some favours.

Things can change pretty quickly in a couple weeks. Any team can go on an extended losing streak down the stretch.

• Like 1

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

cool, and we needed demko to play .950 hockey and the powerplay to click at a 2/5 clip to get that success. expecting that for twenty games? in this economy?

Never said it was easy or done deal. But since this it was possible once, including games against Montreal (the worst opponent for us), in theory it's possible again.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah.  and I'm not sure anyone could or should have expected more in his absence.

no EP, no Beagle, (no Motte, no Pearson...).....(no Ferland....no Bailey...)

They've had all of Michaelis, Hawryluk, LE, MacEwen, and now a waiver claim Vesey in the lineup.

And yet they've gone on a tear in the midst of it.

I'd say that's pretty impressive - and that if the coaching were as bad as suggested around here - that's simply not possible/not gonna happen.

The thing about blaming the coaches for everything - it suggests that the lineup - even when it has an entire taxi squad of replacement forwards in and out of the lineup - is SO GOOD - that it 'should be' getting even better results.  If it's that good - even with a handful of depth replacements - then the team-building efforts ie that idiot Bennig -  must be doing a pretty good job.   I think the truth is that it's more balanced accross the board  - they have good talent, have good coaching, have good depth, have drafted well and have a lot of youth -- and are doing pretty well for such a young - and makeshift - group.   I don't think any aspect in particular deserves an undue amount of credit or blame - even the young stars owe a measure of their success to their 'foundational' team-mates.

Recipe for disaster We need our c,s lol

Edited by Cromeslab

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Is that a train or a truck? Either way, how is it completely immersed in flame during its descent? I’m always fascinated as to how these scenes came to be. 

It’s a van with a trailer attached. I am just guessing maybe a roofer with a hot tar burner that caught fire? Ugly though!

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, RomanP said:

Never said it was easy or done deal. But since this it was possible once, including games against Montreal (the worst opponent for us), in theory it's possible again.

The important thing is our fate is more in our hands now.

With 6 games against the Oilers and 4 against the Flames we could reel both of them in. We could potentially be within 3 of the Oilers with a win on Monday.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Didn’t watch the game but watched the summary by Vintage. Nice to see Jake get on the board again. Boeser and Bo score goals too. Motte gets one as well. This was one of those games that could’ve went either way and tough we couldn’t win this one. Hope we bounce back next game! GCG!