The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Gretzky should have never been the same sentence as Pettersson. No player should maybe Ovechkin for his goal scoring or McDavid for being the NHLs best. So you’re expectations weren’t realistic to begin with. And now cause he has a slow start to the year be doesn’t look like a good pick. Are you kidding me? The kid is 22 years old. Typical, I bet you wanted to trade Boeser last year too. 

Pettersson does skate like Gretzky though stylistically. If you watch Petey when he's going full blast, he looks hunch backed reminicient of the great one

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Gretzky should have never been the same sentence as Pettersson. No player should maybe Ovechkin for his goal scoring or McDavid for being the NHLs best. So you’re expectations weren’t realistic to begin with. And now cause he has a slow start to the year be doesn’t look like a good pick. Are you kidding me? The kid is 22 years old. Typical, I bet you wanted to trade Boeser last year too. 

Is this the same Petey who had 5 goals and 2 assists in his last 5 games prior this injury? The same Petey who was our best player in the playoffs not named Demko/Markstrom?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mll said:

Pettersson is on LTIR and will miss at least next game - LTIR is at least 10 games out and this was game 9 without him.  There’s a 6 day break in the schedule after the upcoming 2 games at home vs the Jets.

Cheers mll. 
Appreciated. Although team has done well, its wearing both Sutter and Bo down without him and Beagle in the line up. Hope to see them back at least after the break.

Now see Beagle has been put on LTIR, so....

Edited by spook007

15 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Going to be very tough to beat Avs next 2 or 3 yrs anyways.  They are too good.. 

We will peak when they decline.. 

I’m not sold on their goalie. Remember the stacked Shark teams that were favourites every year? Nabokov was their only weakness and it cost them like 3-5 Stanley cups lol. That’s the Avs. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aznmonk said:

I hope this loser point won't lose our momentum going forward.  Hopefully resting demko one game makes a huge difference, so he can get us another 10 game winning streak going.  You have to ride your horse that got you back close to the promise land.  

Yeah but I would rather Demko play both Montreal games then Holtby play one of the Jets game. Since Vancouver is likely trying to catch the Habs and the Flames and splitting the points between the Habs is a loss for the Canucks IMO. 

With Demko's GAA recently 4 goals would have been enough to beat the Habs in regulation

Edited by iinatcc

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Before people dump on Holtby, we were outshot 2-1. Shot attempts were 2-1. Screened goals. Did everything he could to keep us in it during OT and the shootout. 

Ugly game by us tonight. 

We have a good team imagine if we had a half decent defensive coach this team would be right there with the top teams.

• Upvote 1

I have zero issue with Vesey as he has been decent for zero risk scrap heap pickup but far from elite 

To play him in top roles when he has proven nothing is insulting to guys that have busted their butts like Hogs and Motte 

green is player blind. People say he is a player’s coach? That is garbage. 

zero accountability with green and zero reward for hard work 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah but I would rather Demko play both Montreal games then Holtby play one of the Jets game. Since Vancouver is likely trying to catch the Habs and the Flames and splitting the points between the Habs is a loss for the Canucks IMO. 

With Demko's GAA recently 4 goals would have been enough to beat the Habs in regulation

Who knows - maybe Demko would have allowed 5... or injured himself.   TG can't play him all the time look at Markstrom last year - and well again this year.    Feel bad for Holtby given he also made some good saves and the four he allowed was a lot better then Price lol....he did relieve Demko of 75 shot attempts - we got one point etc..

Splitting points with MTL isn't ideal for sure, on the flip side ten games ago it was all about draft picks lol...so progress. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I have zero issue with Vesey as he has been decent for zero risk scrap heap pickup but far from elite 

To play him in top roles when he has proven nothing is insulting to guys that have busted their butts like Hogs and Motte 

green is player blind. People say he is a player’s coach? That is garbage. 

zero accountability with green and zero reward for yard work 

I'm a little peeved Vessey didn't get Mottes job and Motte hasn't seen any time replacing Pearson.   A drum i started beating during the playoffs.. Leivo got the same over JV last year until he was injured too.   Don't know what it is about new toys ... Hogs isn't a good example though, he earned his spot in practice and hasn't lost it.   

I do get Mottes just that important to our bottom six, like Sutter is.   Vessey....i don't know enough about the player D side maybe that had something to do with it, but wow nice of TG to give him a top six role and first line PP time ...

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Who knows - maybe Demko would have allowed 5... or injured himself.   TG can't play him all the time look at Markstrom last year - and well again this year.    Feel bad for Holtby given he also made some good saves and the four he allowed was a lot better then Price lol....he did relieve Demko of 75 shot attempts - we got one point etc..

Splitting points with MTL isn't ideal for sure, on the flip side ten games ago it was all about draft picks lol...so progress. 

It was the big call... getting out of the building with one point, was, while not ideal, not the worst neither. Now Demko is refreshed for the games against Jets. Win those two, and I think Green has been vindicated...

And yes let's be positive. Team results have improved immensely compared to the start of the season... 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

Y’all keep declaring this team done.  

How many times are we playing a must win game?

We need to win most of our games. One of the other teams will fall back. 

Pretty much like been done 3-2 in a playoff series at this point with 21 games left.  Teams got to get at least 28 of the next 42 available points and beat the right teams each time.   32 is almost a sure thing ... another ten game stretch like we've had would go a long way making that happen.   I don't want JB to buy again like he did last season, and doubt that he will if we do manage that but who knows.   If it's a trade that also helps the team past this season, as in acquiring another top four D, or replacing Pearson, or sorting out our middle/bottom six C depth then ok.   But no TT deals please. 

• Cheers 3

24 minutes ago, spook007 said:

It was the big call... getting out of the building with one point, was, while not ideal, not the worst neither. Now Demko is refreshed for the games against Jets. Win those two, and I think Green has been vindicated...

And yes let's be positive. Team results have improved immensely compared to the start of the season... 

Personally think the luck evened out, should have beat MTL in regulation first game, should have lost in regulation last night - even with Demko in net.   

Demko has the entire team on his shoulders at this point.   Miller, BB, Horvat, Hogs etc have also played a big part during the time with no EP.   JB deserves some props for making sure this team has guys that can play multiple positions.   It's helped ease the loss ... team needs a boost right now so hope EP can come in and do something like he did the first 15 or so games of his career.   Get a ton of goals to make up for those posts and crossbars.   

TG gets too much heat on the outcome of every game.   It was the right call (Holtby).   We now only have a couple back to backs left in the season...other teams have 5ish.    Rest will favour Vancouver from this point on... every game being pretty much a must win .... that's a good thing too IF we manage to pull it off.   Doubt many teams would like to draw us out of the gate.   Pretty sure we'd add to the pile of first round exits if we made it and play TO for example. 

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Pettersson does skate like Gretzky though stylistically. If you watch Petey when he's going full blast, he looks hunch backed reminicient of the great one

Yup he really does have the same form. 

I don't think it's fair to Petey or anyone from this Era to be compared to Wayne. None of these guys have the pleasure of shooting on goalies who really don't have much of a chance with terrible gear 

Wayne was way ahead of his time but I doubt he gets remotely close to his old stats in current league. Does he get 1000 less Assists because the guys he passes to can no longer score on terribly weak shots? 

When u wrist the Puck with the with no power and you score 500 goals like that cuz the goalie barely covers 10% of the net with their brutal gear 

Long story short I think Wayne is the most overrated athlete of all time probably 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

Y’all keep declaring this team done.  

How many times are we playing a must win game?

We need to win most of our games. One of the other teams will fall back. 

They keep repeating so we’re all pisses at them at some point.

Great strategy.

I hear the Oilers are doing pretty well. And they have the best player in the world.

Follow them instead if you can’t support your team people.

Some of them are so god damn frustrating. All day every day is just complaints.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I'm a little peeved Vessey didn't get Mottes job and Motte hasn't seen any time replacing Pearson.   A drum i started beating during the playoffs.. Leivo got the same over JV last year until he was injured too.   Don't know what it is about new toys ... Hogs isn't a good example though, he earned his spot in practice and hasn't lost it.   

I do get Mottes just that important to our bottom six, like Sutter is.   Vessey....i don't know enough about the player D side maybe that had something to do with it, but wow nice of TG to give him a top six role and first line PP time ...

Typically a shootout is a crapshoot

why not use it to reward a player that earned the opportunity in the game?

vesey a a low cost of project but he is just that...a project. He is not some long awaited number 1 draft pick or a guy we traded for

earn your stripes, they way hockey has been since day 1 

to me, its more about the message it sends to the other guys on the bench, but Green is time deaf

we won games on demko’s back and not because Green found some magic system. Unplug Demko and we lose. All smoke and mirrors covering up garbage systems and the Green cult feels all is good because we won. If you don’t fundamentally play structured the wins are not sustainable long term. 

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Keep repeating so we’re all pisses at you at some point.

Great strategy.

I hear the Oilers are doing pretty well. And they have the best player in the world.

Follow them instead of you can’t support your team.

Some of you are so god damn frustrating. All day every day is just complaints.

You are welcome to leave if you want. I don’t see the value of you risking your mental health in this forum. You have mentioned depression several times. I really think it would do you well to take a breather 

I am not kidding 

take a break 

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

You are welcome to leave if you want. I don’t see the value of you risking your mental health in this forum. You have mentioned depression several times. I really think it would do you well to take a breather 

I am not kidding 

take a break 

You're a dr and a pro hockey player now?

Quite the resume... where do you find the time?

• Haha 1