The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

57 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

That was a frustrating two games, but I'm glad we're done with MTL and also have 4 more vs. Ottawa.

We are.in a realistic position to kill Cowgary's playoff hopes, and that makes me happy.

Funny thing is we're still right in it. it's going to come down to the wire. We actually stayed close enough.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Yes a man of many talents 

seriously though you do have to watch for signs of mental health issues. There are so many people that have coping issues. 

have a good one man  

If more than one person asks you to seek help in the same manner, concerning the same subject, then perhaps it is time to seek help.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It really is the Canucks vs the league

Man, I had a bbq with my sister and brother so I didn't watch the whole thing vividly like I usually do but holy crap did I ever see some bad calls. I usually don't agree with Deb (the refs are out to get us) but jeepers we're getting some bad abuse from the officials lately.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Man, I had a bbq with my sister and brother so I didn't watch the whole thing vividly like I usually do but holy crap did I ever see some bad calls. I usually don't agree with Deb (the refs are out to get us) but jeepers we're getting some bad abuse from the officials lately.

I always try not to blame refs. It’s an easy out and childish at times but my god these last 2 games couldn’t be anymore obvious that they wanted Montreal to win. It’s messed up

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Not sure I agree on the bottom one. I guess if the linesman drops the puck before Miller is set then yes it’s a problem. Otherwise I’m left wondering what the heck Miller is doing so far back. He’s got to move in and claim his space and force the linesman to move them both back a little. Pretty hard to tell from a still to know for sure though.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

I always try not to blame refs. It’s an easy out and childish at times but my god these last 2 games couldn’t be anymore obvious that they wanted Montreal to win. It’s messed up

I don't know what to say man but I reluctantly agree. The calls the game before we're atrocious. Bottom line we're still it. Wait for the break, see how far back we are and then just slaughter Alberta beef. Hehe. No really we just got to make sure our car is ready to go. We're still playing better than almost everyone in the league. If that continues we'll get in.

• Like 2

Without Demko we are a bottom 5 team.

Toffoli 3rd in goals in the NHL.

Tanev being hailed as the Flames most important player this season.

Our pro scouts continue to let us down.  We are keeping the wrong veterans and allowing the good ones to leave.  I’ve defended JB but I’m running out of excuses.  I’ve lost faith in our leadership.  We have a great core thanks to JB, but now we need someone new to fill in the rest of the roster to turn us into a contender.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I agree, just checked out the highlights from the game on friday were Anderson got the breakaway in OT and no mention & footage of the obvious interference that led to the scoring chance (same goes for the Habs blogspots were they are complaining about how they lost to us with no acknowledgement of the bias officiating but this is to be expected from a homer blog).  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Our pro scouts continue to let us down.  We are keeping the wrong veterans and allowing the good ones to leave.  I’ve defended JB but I’m running out of excuses.  I’ve lost faith in our leadership.  We have a great core thanks to JB, but now we need someone new to fill in the rest of the roster to turn us into a contender.

While I generally agree that pro-scouting has been the achilles heel of the management group, I do think the people let go this offseason was more about whose contracts were up rather than who they would rather keep (due to the cap situation, the other achilles heel).

Personally, I've downgraded my view of our leadership to neutral.  I can't dismiss the good things they've done, and they do seem to be learning from past mistakes.  However, almost 7 years into this, I see a team that has the top-end talent to go far, but not nearly enough quality depth (with size and speed).  We're simply still too easy to play against.

19 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Its Going To Be Ok Joe Biden GIF by Election 2020

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Noticed it too and it would had been nice if Sutter (in this case) would had said something but I understand cause they know that the league & Zebras tend to punish anyone/team that calls them out - smh, thus why I call them game managers.  

Moving on I am expecting more of these bias officiating cause no one will call it out due to any repercussion(s) which should not be the case but it is one of the hidden rules of pro sports..

Edited by ShawnAntoski

48 minutes ago, rekker said:

We missed Petey these two games. He would scored that goal we need, improved the PP, overtime, shootout. I believe also that if Beagle was in we would of held the lead at some point last night. Is what it is. Still think OJ should be in for Benn. 

I believe Olli has 12 games left to meet the exposure requirement.  If they can get away with not having to protect him, they could possibly pick up a good player from another team that will lose said player to Seattle for nothing.  Looks like the Blues will be in that position with too many good dmen.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Motte is so valuable in his role.   But his goals per sixty and ozone starts in relation to that suggest untapped potential as a top six 30 goal guy.  

I agree with much of what you have said, but I don't think the time is right to move Motte into the top 6.  The team doesn't have a problem scoring; they have a problem defending the net.  The bottom 6 is just not good enough and without Motte's skills, they would be far worse.

The hope for the playoffs is slipping away quickly and once all hopes die, we will likely see Green experimenting with the lineup.

JB has to improve the bottom 6 in the off season if the team is to be more successful.  I would love to see a defensive 3C that has an offensive upside (Laughton).  I don't think Podz jumps right into the top six, but wherever he goes; Motte should also go.

Motte  Laughton  Podz  would be an incredibly dynamic third line.

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Relax.   The team you've watched the last half this season so far is the team that we actually have.   It's not so bad.   We have one of the youngest cores in the league, it will only get better.   Not to mention we've played the last 9 or so games without one of them in EP.  

Next year if we don't take another step then i'm going to be a little concerned, given that division won't be as tough as this one.  TT... why not wait two or three years before making a judgment call on that one.   For me at least it's been a tale of two seasons.   Teams bounced back well after every bad game or loss since.   

Yes Demko has been great.  JB drafted him didn't he?  And a lot of teams passed on him too including other goalie...  so don't give up hope yet.   So many fans were bashing BB last year ... now look at him, our best forward this year (sorry Miller, BB doesn't make those gaffes silly passes to the other team with the same frequency).  

Patience is a virtue.   We missed the playoffs four years in a row, and acceptable thing theses days while rebuilding.   If you think losing Tanev, Markstrom and TT is worth b!thing about then i don't think you see the forest for the trees.   JB best off season to date for me at least.   Set us up to possibly contend instead of mired into mediocrity.   We were so out gunned against Vegas.  why the heck go back with the same team?   TT ... look at his entire career.   And also consider that Naslund didn't break out until 27 ... what Marchand has managed at the same age etc.   It's called prime.   Our young guns have done more then anyone else in our history with the exception of Linden and Bure.   

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I believe Olli has 12 games left to meet the exposure requirement.  If they can get away with not having to protect him, they could possibly pick up a good player from another team that will lose said player to Seattle for nothing.  Looks like the Blues will be in that position with too many good dmen.

I agree with much of what you have said, but I don't think the time is right to move Motte into the top 6.  The team doesn't have a problem scoring; they have a problem defending the net.  The bottom 6 is just not good enough and without Motte's skills, they would be far worse.

The hope for the playoffs is slipping away quickly and once all hopes die, we will likely see Green experimenting with the lineup.

JB has to improve the bottom 6 in the off season if the team is to be more successful.  I would love to see a defensive 3C that has an offensive upside (Laughton).  I don't think Podz jumps right into the top six, but wherever he goes; Motte should also go.

Motte  Laughton  Podz  would be an incredibly dynamic third line.

To me he's got shades of Burrows.   I've supported management since we traded Burrows and i noticed how quickly we climbed the prospect standings.   And don't have much issue with our coaching staff either despite the ridiculous number of folks on here that think they could do better - or that "an experienced coach" is what we need now (hmmm four years in the league kind of is experience now isn't it?).   

Just one little thing i'd like TG to take a chance on.   Get he's so valuable in the bottom six that it's not an easy thing to do.   But Motte deserves a chance 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Boeser has 32 points and Toffoli has 27, Boeser is a far better player than Toffoli, Tanev is a good player but not the great player he is being hailed as. sure it would have been nice to keep Tanev and the others. but it wasn't meant to be.  time to move on and cheer our team on and not look backwards 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Man, what one loss can do to a fan.

The Canucks have a #1 goalie; arguably the most difficult position to draft and develop, and here we are with that, thank you Jim Benning.

Toffoli is injured again. Just like when he was with the Canucks. He’s good. The Canucks have covered that. 

If Tanev is Calgary’s MVP, then Calgary have a lot more problems then they think. He’s very good no doubt. But MVP? Aiiight...

Tanev < Schmidt

6 x 6 for Markstrom is too much.

If logic hits a man, he would understand that, by drafting superstar after superstar, there is a dynasty of serious caliber along the journey. 

The most frustrating part of this journey ought to be having to let go of superstars because of other upcoming superstars; not lamenting ad vitam eternam, how green the grass was when Benning was tending it.

You end that pipeline, you end the plan for a Cup within the next five-six years.

I appreciate your impatience. 

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

Pretty much could be said for us

To a certain extent - but I think Weber, Petry, Price (Edmundson, Chiarot) - is a pretty formidable veteran back end that is difficult to equal/match up with....

I love Edler - I like Myers and Schmidt as well - but the Habs don't have a 21 yr old in their top 4 playing 23 minutes a night - and we don't quite have that intimidation factor - or the cannons they have, on that blueline.

I really think their 'window' is much earlier than ours - probably the present.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well without Tim Thomas Canucks would have won a cup. I don't see why the Canucks should feel bad that they have a good goalie that can steal games, the goalie is still part of the team.

This is too much logic right now.

• Cheers 1