The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

46 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I believe Olli has 12 games left to meet the exposure requirement.  If they can get away with not having to protect him, they could possibly pick up a good player from another team that will lose said player to Seattle for nothing.  Looks like the Blues will be in that position with too many good dmen.

I agree with much of what you have said, but I don't think the time is right to move Motte into the top 6.  The team doesn't have a problem scoring; they have a problem defending the net.  The bottom 6 is just not good enough and without Motte's skills, they would be far worse.

The hope for the playoffs is slipping away quickly and once all hopes die, we will likely see Green experimenting with the lineup.

JB has to improve the bottom 6 in the off season if the team is to be more successful.  I would love to see a defensive 3C that has an offensive upside (Laughton).  I don't think Podz jumps right into the top six, but wherever he goes; Motte should also go.

Motte  Laughton  Podz  would be an incredibly dynamic third line.

Juolevi is exposed regardless of the number of games he plays.  He’s already got more than 2 pro-seasons and is no longer exempt.

The games is an exposure requirement and don’t define exemption.  Every team has to leave exposed at least 2 Fs and 1 D who have reached those number of games and who are under contract through 2021/22.  Juolevi can’t be that D without the games and an extension bur he is still exposed.

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Not sure I agree on the bottom one. I guess if the linesman drops the puck before Miller is set then yes it’s a problem. Otherwise I’m left wondering what the heck Miller is doing so far back. He’s got to move in and claim his space and force the linesman to move them both back a little. Pretty hard to tell from a still to know for sure though.

I've noticed that Miller does a lot forehand draws, so he's set up to basically shoot the puck back to the right point, or to the right side boards.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ugh.   Apollo i'm sorry you didn't get to watch him play, if you did you wouldn't be making those statements.   Also as far as actual goalies go, they had excellent ones back then too - don't be fooled by their size, it made it harder for sure equipment wise but the shooters also all used wooden sticks which was a bit of an equalizer ... and guys like Al Mac and Ifrate could blast them as hard using those as Weber with his today ...

I think you've got it wrong in today's game too.   With no red line?   No interference?  No hitting?   WG would be just as good today shooting against today's goalie's with those elements also taken into consideration.   Simply put WG was the most dominating player in the history of all pro sports.   His WHA team moved to the NHL... a league that proved with a court order that could match or exceed what the NHL could do ... at 17.   

If you just want to even out save percentages ... Ok.  If his career the average was around .900 and today it's .910....what's the actual difference?  Minuscule.   If you want to go at .880 to .915 what's it then?  Still not much ... even if you reduced WGs points by 1-5% most of his records would still stand and it would barely touch it.

Another way to look at it is WG last peak year was 93...sure he won one more Art Ross in 94, but he wasn't the same then.  In his 30's back was so sore he almost retired twice etc.    Then finished his career in his mid 30's in the dead puck era and still outproduced virtually every star who carried on to play in the 2000's which is an era i know you do know.

In today's game,  in a mediocre team, 18-33 year old Gretzky would eat this league alive.   Stastny, Hawerchuk, Yzerman et al couldn't touch him in the 80's ... he was outscoring the next best by 100 points at one point lol.    Simply put he was incredible.   Have a tape of his 50 best goals.   And that wasn't even his specialty.   Aside from an incredible shot for an EP sized guy... he thought the game better then anyone before or since - and invented moves never used but now are common place.   Mario was also an incredible player, but even he didn't match up.   Orr is probably the only other player that can.   EP IF he got better then his first 15 games and scored 180-200 points ... then yes he'd match up for one year anyways. 

Edit:  Will add this too.  Ovi is this generations Bossy - a pure shooter.  He could catch WG for sure.   That said there are two things that will be safe forever for WG.   He didn't feast on the PP, the majority of his goals came 5 x 5.   And check out how many shorty's he had.   He was so good at hockey, that going up against him on the PP wasn't really an advantage lol.  Cant remember exactly how many he had but think it's around 73-76.   Crazy. 

We used to wish we could waive the penalty.... WG killed us so often shorthanded.

38 minutes ago, mll said:

Juolevi is exposed regardless of the number of games he plays.  He’s already got more than 2 pro-seasons and is no longer exempt.

The games is an exposure requirement and don’t define exemption.  Every team has to leave exposed at least 2 Fs and 1 D who have reached those numbers and who are under contract through 2021/22.  Juolevi can’t be that D without the games and an extension, but he is still exposed.

I wonder if the staff is trying to hide Olli from the draft, so they don't have to protect him. Maybe they know what they have in him but want him to get a full training camp and pre-season. Also, Benn has seen a terrific resurgence since replacing Olli, so I understand why TG is riding him. If that's the case, I hope they plan to sign and protect Hamonick because he's been a revelation and quality RHD is hard to find. Ever since hearing that TG prefers Dmen to play their natural side, I've been watching carefully how difficult it is play your weak side. Having to take the puck on your backhand on a puck up the boards at the opponent's blue line is so much more difficult and often shuts down so many more options as opposed to being able to take it on your forehand.  As good as Schmidt is at switching from backhand to forehand, it still stops the quick shot or pass on a  puck up the boards.

For the ED,  I used to think they would protect Myers, Schmidt, and Olli and sign and expose Benn, but now maybe they'll protect Myers, Schmidt, and Hamonic, sign and expose Benn and not protect Olli. Since Olli has had injury problems and has yet to play an entire, healthy season, taking him would be a risk for Seattle. I suspect Seattle takes one of our young, draft-eligible forwards, like Jake or Gauds, if we don't protect them or Holtby. Sorry Myers haters, I don't think he's going anywhere, and I'm happy about that.

Edited by canuckleheads fan

4 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I wonder if the staff is trying to hide Olli from the draft, so they don't have to protect him. Maybe they know what they have in him but want him to get a full training camp and pre-season. Also, Benn has seen a terrific resurgence since replacing Olli, so I understand why TG is riding him. If that's the case, I hope they plan to sign and protect Hamonick because he's been a revelation and quality RHD is hard to find. Ever since hearing that TG prefers Dmen to play their natural side, I've been watching carefully how difficult it is play your weak side. Having to take the puck on your backhand on a puck up the boards at the opponent's blue line is so much more difficult and often shuts down so many more options as opposed to being able to take it on your forehand.  As good as Schmidt is at switching from backhand to forehand, it still stops the quick shot or pass on a  puck up the boards.

For the ED,  I used to think they would protect Myers, Schmidt, and Olli and sign and expose Benn, but now maybe they'll protect Myers, Schmidt, and Hamonic, sign and expose Benn and not protect Olli. Since Olli has had injury problems and has yet to play an entire, healthy season, taking him would be a risk for Seattle. I suspect Seattle takes one of our young, draft-eligible forwards, like Jake or Gauds, if we don't protect them or Holtby. Sorry Myers haters, I don't think he's going anywhere, and I'm happy about that.

Won't take Holtby... other better goalies will be available..... e.g. Alan/Price in Montreal

8 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

That's why I think they'll take either Jake or Gauds, whichever we don't protect.

Of those two I'd rather see JV gone. Gauds is at least consistent with his compete level, and I get the feeling that he might have a breakout season soon. Jake plays one good game and then he is invisible in the next.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I don't think they will protect Myers at the ED. I dont think they have to.?

Edited by Honky Cat

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Well without Tim Thomas Canucks would have won a cup. I don't see why the Canucks should feel bad that they have a good goalie that can steal games, the goalie is still part of the team.

Luongo got two shutouts in the Finals.  Teams switch goalies and I suspect the results might be the same.

1 hour ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Benn will likely be traded at TDL.  He's a UFA, so he can be re-siged in the off season.

Hamonic is a UFA and can be re-signed in the off season.

Protect Schmidt, Myers and Juolevi

Maybe Gaud or Jake could be packaged with a (2nd) to unload LE contract?

18 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

He sat out for so long and gives up 4goals. He shoulda been able to steal this game for us but he still garbage...

Trash Throw Away GIF by MOODMAN

That's a bad take.  I do agree that Holtby is due to win a game on his own, but last  night wasn't his fault.  Things could be so much worse if Demko hasn't taken over as our number one, that wasn't a for sure entering this season and wow have i read a book or so worth of complaints about that (not signing Markstrom the first 15 or so games).  

Holtby still deserves to be in this league, sure he's way overpaid for what he's done.   Not like he's had a big welcoming party either, IF Demko goes down, and he's given a chance, you just never do know.   He's proven himself enough.    

Edit:   Holtby has a pedigree which counts.   I'm glad we have him despite the performances infront of him.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Yeah Demko has been the star of the show so far... 

Whether they make it or not, the most important thing is the team to try... They will learn lots from this regardless of the outcome, as long as they compete... So far without playing to the top of their ability, they have managed to put a nice little run together... 

Think they've earned the right to get at least 3 point out of the Montreal swing... Disappointed with the refereeing in the first game, and I don't often use that as an excuse, but it was really poor... yesterday we got a point, which may have been more than we deserved. 3 point are better than 2 so... we ought to be pleased at the end of the day... 

It all worked out fairly can't complain about it too much.   This year was set up as a transition year from the start.  A lot of talent left the team, a lot of new talent brought in too.   The team needs to learn to win without goaltending and they have made some groundwork on that front which is encouraging.   And the core is getting better (Demko and BB this year), and new guys are making an impact (Hogs and OJ).    It should all work out.  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's a bad take.  I do agree that Holtby is due to win a game on his own, but last  night wasn't his fault.  Things could be so much worse if Demko hasn't taken over as our number one, that wasn't a for sure entering this season and wow have i read a book or so worth of complaints about that (not signing Markstrom the first 15 or so games).  

Holtby still deserves to be in this league, sure he's way overpaid for what he's done.   Not like he's had a big welcoming party either, IF Demko goes down, and he's given a chance, you just never do know.   He's proven himself enough.    

Edit:   Holtby has a pedigree which counts.   I'm glad we have him despite the performances infront of him.  

Fair enough but he’s been really bad. I jus feel a 2million dollar goalie would have been a better option.

7 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Fair enough but he’s been really bad. I jus feel a 2million dollar goalie would have been a better option.

Unfortunately it's a bad habit JB has; he overpays for people.

A quick look at Holtby's stats would tell you that he peaked from 2014/15 to 2016/17 during which time he had 21 shutouts.

In his last year in Washington he had no shutouts, his save percentage was below 9.00 and he allowed over 3 goals per game. For most managers that would have set the alarm bells ringing.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

You bet ... for me he's one of the players on the team that plays a vital role - hate to say this - but kind of like Hyman in TO - with the exception Motter hasn't been given a pile of minutes with a player like Mathews.    Vessey played in the bottom six too in TO, why not swap them out next game just to see how it goes?    For me at least, i see more then just an aggressive energy guy, and like i said earlier get he's so valuable in the bottom six and as a pk'er, i do get TG decision to go with the new guy and gauge him.   Vessey also has speed.    Maybe he will work out, maybe he's just a depth guy to keep the motor running, but i also get why some other posters have questioned that decision, gifted second line and first unit PP minutes.   Have to wonder what Motte can do with the same.   Manages to score goals at a very high pace with sometimes Sutter sometimes Beagle, not exactly gifted set up guys.    Pearson is out for a month and it's only been two games so time to make a switch or maybe keeps things the same depending on how it works out.

Edit:  On Pearson.  Sucks he's injured, to me he's the low hanging TDL trade bait OR a guy we could use if we manage to get out of where we are, depth is important come playoff time.    JB saying he wants to see about keeping him is ok - as long as the price is right.   Not sure if it isn't just lip service though, Bear and Spooner won't be enough cap savings to pay EP, QHs and Demko, so pretty much expect a guy like Vessey or Motte to replace him, for at least next season anyways.   And on Bear...why not get him here and give him some games? 

I could see Vesey taking Pears spot at a much cheaper rate.... not sure how I feel about that at the moment, I need to see more out of Vesey first. If Pearson was willing to take under 3 mil AAV then maybe thats the right approach, Vesey isn't exactly young either.

Ah Spooner, we hardly knew you buddy. 

• Haha 1

TEAM LOOKED TIRED YESTERDAY

especially Hoggy 

too bad we never bring in fresh blood pre-emptively

Grao for a game might give some jump rather than waiting for the wheels to fall off

I remember in the off-season folks saying the compressed schedule would force Green to insert players

I guess he proved those fans wrong

• Cheers 2