The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

1) Coach has not been renewed yet.

2) There has been not only a bad start but lots of inconsistency. 

Shouldn't everything be looked at? Especially if the team struggles at the end. 

It's not like the team has gone 20-10-5. 

Yes, nothing is written yet. 

A good manager would have contingency plans. Even if it's just turfing the assistants. 

I’m pretty sure Benning’s covered.

Critiquing is fine. But you’re talking as if it’s been done already.

It’s actually delusional; not reality. The coach is still Green. 

Aquilini gave his vote of confidence to Benning and Benning gave his vote of confidence to Green.

So then it’s just b!tching for the sake of b!tching isn’t it...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Someone mentioned, trying to grab Rod Brind'Amour as head coach when his contract lapses. Rod I think is just the kind of coach we need. He will make sure players are both mentally and physically ready for games. I'd be curious to see how Gaudette and Virtanen would be under his watch. If after 1/4 of the season Rod says move them. I'd believe what he says. I think he'll get the players working more as a unit, and we'd see better results. Hopefully it won't be as ugly as say trying to get Pat Quinn from Los Angeles. 

But he seems to be just what the doctor ordered. 

Carolina will re-sign Brind'Amour just like Arizona will with Tochett and Van will with Green because they're all good coaches.  

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, apollo said:

Yup he really does have the same form. 

I don't think it's fair to Petey or anyone from this Era to be compared to Wayne. None of these guys have the pleasure of shooting on goalies who really don't have much of a chance with terrible gear 

Wayne was way ahead of his time but I doubt he gets remotely close to his old stats in current league. Does he get 1000 less Assists because the guys he passes to can no longer score on terribly weak shots? 

When u wrist the Puck with the with no power and you score 500 goals like that cuz the goalie barely covers 10% of the net with their brutal gear 

Long story short I think Wayne is the most overrated athlete of all time probably 

Overrated eh... if scoring was that easy why didn't a SINGLE other player come remotely close to his point totals in his career? 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Carolina will re-sign Brind'Amour just like Arizona will with Tochett and Van will with Green because they're all good coaches.  

That's also possible. But especially with Arizona, you never know what going to happen with that team. 

I wouldn't throw it past Arizona that they hire Gritty as a coach. 

8 hours ago, apollo said:

Yup he really does have the same form. 

I don't think it's fair to Petey or anyone from this Era to be compared to Wayne. None of these guys have the pleasure of shooting on goalies who really don't have much of a chance with terrible gear 

Wayne was way ahead of his time but I doubt he gets remotely close to his old stats in current league. Does he get 1000 less Assists because the guys he passes to can no longer score on terribly weak shots? 

When u wrist the Puck with the with no power and you score 500 goals like that cuz the goalie barely covers 10% of the net with their brutal gear 

Long story short I think Wayne is the most overrated athlete of all time probably 

You let Clubber Lang beat you! :P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Fair enough but he’s been really bad. I jus feel a 2million dollar goalie would have been a better option.

Man i wish any poster making claims about who's making what in the NHL disclosed  their salary for scrutiny.     Pretty much the entire public sector doesn't count - if you work for the government, your likely feel both entitled to what you make, and quite possibly are completely irrelevant at the same time.  

Private industry i respect a lot more, as the tendency is to pay based on production but it's also a bit of a minefield.   As far as the NHL goes - there is a proven system that works that goes somewhat like the private sector too.   1 - prove that you belong.   That's your ELC or first contract.   2.   Make a case for yourself that you belong long term, that's your second contract.   3.  Like pretty much any government worker, or employee that's put his time in the private sector, enjoy the spoils, that's your UFA contract.   Holtby for sure has earned 4 plus million for two years.   Won a cup, as  Vezina, tied Luongo for second most wins in a season etc.   Like virtually any UFA you could find a better value per dollar, same with second contracts.   That's how the system works and it isn't broken (well at least for now).

Coming from the construction industry i know all about being paid based on production.   And also understand the value of experience even if you can't do what you used too.   And have zero issues about a couple million here and there when it comes to hockey when it comes to guys who've put their time in.  Holtby earned his deal.   Paid his dues in full.   Yes get it's a cap system.   Part of that comes with proven guys getting paid for past production - you can bet Holtby didn't make top dollar when he was the best or one of the best in the world right?  

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Someone mentioned, trying to grab Rod Brind'Amour as head coach when his contract lapses. Rod I think is just the kind of coach we need. He will make sure players are both mentally and physically ready for games. I'd be curious to see how Gaudette and Virtanen would be under his watch. If after 1/4 of the season Rod says move them. I'd believe what he says. I think he'll get the players working more as a unit, and we'd see better results. Hopefully it won't be as ugly as say trying to get Pat Quinn from Los Angeles. 

But he seems to be just what the doctor ordered. 

That was me. I read somewhere his contract was expiring at the end of this year, and thought, he'd be someone I could get onboard with. 

Edit: Btw, I am not insinuating that it's even an remote possiblity. If the opportunity was there, yeah, I'd go for it.

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Some Canucks fans give up way too easy.

The team just went on an unbelievable run in March and you think management is going to be sellers? You realize what a poor message that is to the players?

All because fans demand an extra third round pick that might not amount to anything in 5 years? 

Yeah, tells them you guys $&!# the bed in the beginning of the season. Do it again next season and you will be traded. 

• RoughGame 3

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Grubauer one of best goalies in league this season. Hes the hottest goalie in the NHL lately... playing even better than Demko..  

I think total 2 goals allowed last 5 games.. 

And the team is scoring goals at will. Back to back 5+ goals scored..

Demko has been the better goalie when taking into account environment.

Demko has been a top-5 goalie in saves above expected which accounts for the quality of scoring chances he has faced per the advanced tracking company CSA.

Since 1 March Demko had faced 317 shots in 9 games - nearly 100 shots more than Grubauer while playing 1 game less (220 in 10 games for Grubauer).

Natural Stat Trick has the Canucks with an expected goal for percentage of only 41% at 5v5 since 1 March without last game where Holtby started - only Chicago and Detroit did worse per their model.  Avalanche is 1st with an expected goal for percentage of 66%.

Wild’s coach Evason just said their analytics show that no team possesses the puck more in the offensive zone than Colorado - it limits the time they have to spend defending.

Vancouver’s 41% in expected goals for percentage is actually less than their numbers up to 28 February where they were at 49% per Natural Stat Trick’s model at 5v5.  CSA shows that Demko has considerably upped his game since the start of the season. 

Edited by mll
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Some Canucks fans give up way too easy.

The team just went on an unbelievable run in March and you think management is going to be sellers? You realize what a poor message that is to the players?

All because fans demand an extra third round pick that might not amount to anything in 5 years? 

I think this "message to the players/ How you treat your new free agents/ Sedins deserved another run"  stuff gets way too much milage around here.

there is a large portion of this fan base that have such an inferiority complex that they always worry about his kind of stuff.

All it really says is,' Come to Vancouver and we will roll out the red carpet and bend over a chair for you"

of all the bad deals signed in 2016 only Ericksson and Okposo are still with their teams, Ladd is still hanging around Bridgeport

Buffalo and Vancouver cannot figure out how to get out of those deals and they suck.Buffalo has added Skinner, which  is a worse deal and they suck worse than us.

If all the teams that ditched, traded or waived a bad signing never got another free agent, there would be no one signings anywhere.

But the faithful around here keep bleating on about "message to the players"

The players and the coaches and Management dug this hole

No one should be secure that their feelings won't be hurt at this point

• RoughGame 2

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

I think this "message to the players/ How you treat your new free agents/ Sedins deserved another run"  stuff gets way too much milage around here.

there is a large portion of this fan base that have such an inferiority complex that they always worry about his kind of stuff.

All it really says is,' Come to Vancouver and we will roll out the red carpet and bend over a chair for you"

of all the bad deals signed in 2016 only Ericksson and Okposo are still with their teams, Ladd is still hanging around Bridgeport

Buffalo and Vancouver cannot figure out how to get out of those deals and they suck.Buffalo has added Skinner, which  is a worse deal and they suck worse than us.

If all the teams that ditched, traded or waived a bad signing never got another free agent, there would be no one signings anywhere.

But the faithful around here keep bleating on about "message to the players"

The players and the coaches and Management dug this hole

No one should be secure that their feelings won't be hurt at this point

Same could be said about the Country Club rhetoric since the Gillis/AV days. Both sides are guilty. 

What a scum Ron MacLean is....

Anyone catch that last nasty little comment from him at the end of the game?

"...and Montreal puts a dagger into Canucks heart"....

So much relish and venom in his voice... he really hates Vancouver and couldn't restrain himself from gloating.

This is a guy who likes to point to himself as embodying the soul of Canadian hockey with love for the game across the country.

When actually he is a slimy weasel who only lives to suck up to his favourites... those in the so-called center of universe who give him his big contracts.

What a puke.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1