The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I don't think they will protect Myers at the ED. I dont think they have to.?

I do, he's a big, RHD who moves well, and plays with an edge, he can move the puck and has offensive upside. He is exactly the kind of player you need in the playoffs. Plus he's been awesome on the PK.

Edited by canuckleheads fan
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Of those two I'd rather see JV gone. Gauds is at least consistent with his compete level, and I get the feeling that he might have a breakout season soon. Jake plays one good game and then he is invisible in the next.

I fully agree, Gauds play of late has given him the edge in my eyes. Jake had that one great game a week or so ago, and then regressed to his lazy, circle skating self. Last night he looked good at times, but he loses way too many board battles for a big guy.

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Hope everyone noticed what Kelly Hrudey said during the game:

Chris Tanev is the best defenseman on Calgary's team... including Giordano.

Lot of people in Calgary, including him, are waking up to what a steal it was signing him for $4.5 million a year.

And Canucks fans who watch Hughes get caught up ice again for the 20th time and have to scramble to get back, might want to look back and remember how easy Tanev used to make it look, when he smoothly glided into place to cover for the young, gifted, but sometimes a little too optimistic Hughes.  B)

Hamonic tries hard and is worth the money they spent in signing him, but he is no Tanev.

and Canuck fans remember , even last season, all to clearly all the years Tanev was injured, even lat season he got injured right before the shut down to covid.   sorry but Calgary are just trying to make out Tanev is the best

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Benn will likely be traded at TDL.  He's a UFA, so he can be re-siged in the off season.

Hamonic is a UFA and can be re-signed in the off season.

Protect Schmidt, Myers and Juolevi

Maybe Gaud or Jake could be packaged with a (2nd) to unload LE contract?

But who do they expose? If Benn is gone, then they have to expose either Schmidt or Myers. They have to expose at least one Dman who is under contract next year and has played at least 27 games this season or 54 games between last season and this season. Of course Eddie is a UFA an Huggy is exempt. If they don't sign and expose Benn, then they have to expose Myers or Schmidt.

5 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

But who do they expose? If Benn is gone, then they have to expose either Schmidt or Myers. They have to expose at least one Dman who is under contract next year and has played at least 27 games this season or 54 games between last season and this season. Of course Eddie is a UFA an Huggy is exempt. If they don't sign and expose Benn, then they have to expose Myers or Schmidt.

...or perhaps trade a late round pick for someone such as M Benning from Nashville. He meets the exposure requirements, is signed for $1m next season only so could be waived without any cap footprint if we wish, not a bad depth RHD if we get into injury trouble. MB didn't work out in Nashville so don't think they need/want to keep him. They also have Borowiecki that meets their exposure requirements, so don't need to keep MB for that reason...

55 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

...or perhaps trade a late round pick for someone such as M Benning from Nashville. He meets the exposure requirements, is signed for $1m next season only so could be waived without any cap footprint if we wish, not a bad depth RHD if we get into injury trouble. MB didn't work out in Nashville so don't think they need/want to keep him. They also have Borowiecki that meets their exposure requirements, so don't need to keep MB for that reason...

Fair point, it will be interesting to see if JB can pull off a trade.

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Also as good as Tanev is defensively if he’s your best D man that signals somethings wrong.

Looks like Gio’s best days are behind him.

Tanev's a damn good defensive defenseman, no doubt about it. But when either him or 'Eddie the Eagle' were injured, it always became very apparent who the more important piece to the puzzle was - Edler. That in itself speaks volumes. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

You clearly don’t understand the psyche of a professional athlete then.

Its not about hurting feelings, it’s about keeping your players motivated and playing hard for something. Cause here’s something you missed in your little rant. You let the players continually play for nothing and throw in the towel at the first sign of adversity and before you know it you’re the Buffalo Sabres.

Nothing to do with inferiority and all about understanding how you build a winning team. Here’s a hint, it’s not adding an extra third round pick at the deadline. ;)

So you are saying that there is one psyche for all pro athletes and that the same psyche excsists in  Goldy and Gretzky and every player left behind after a fire sale request a trade?

Right.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Also as good as Tanev is defensively if he’s your best D man that signals somethings wrong.

Looks like Gio’s best days are behind him.

He has never been anywhere near a number one, I agree. Great man, good player , but not elite by any stretch . A very good complimentary second pairing d man if paired with the right player. He never was a star, and never will be obviously. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

He has never been anywhere near a number one, I agree. Great man, good player , but not elite by any stretch . A very good complimentary second pairing d man if paired with the right player. He never was a star, and never will be obviously. 

But he was a hero, just for one day 

photo-via-canucks.png

• Sad 2