The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

58 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I literally feel sorry for him. Just sitting there patiently with his new mask. Could actually make a baby yoda Bernie Sanders meme of that. 

FTFY.
Would be good if he finds his form and can at least become a solid backup who gives us a chance of winning.

29 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The Canucks went into Toronto two weeks ago....

Toronto had 38 pts at the time.

Vancouver had 22.

In 7 games the Canucks have cut that deficit by 10 pts.

I've heard it's near impossible to make ground on teams - but the reality is that it's now a 40-34 pt gap.

More accurately it remains a 6 loss deficit/difference with the 3 Leaf games in hand - but a pretty good illustration of how quickly things can change - (and there remains 4 head to head matchups). 

Five games remaining against Edmonton.

Only one more vs Montreal - who have been this team's kryptonite - but not that consistent vs the rest of the division...

And 4 more opportunities vs Calgary.

All the games are key but it’s the Calgary ones which are critical. We don’t want to make the points up on those above only to see the flames take 4th. 

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The Canucks went into Toronto two weeks ago....

Toronto had 38 pts at the time.

Vancouver had 22.

In 7 games the Canucks have cut that deficit by 10 pts.

I've heard it's near impossible to make ground on teams - but the reality is that it's now a 40-34 pt gap.

More accurately it remains a 6 loss deficit/difference with the 3 Leaf games in hand - but a pretty good illustration of how quickly things can change - (and there remains 4 head to head matchups). 

Five games remaining against Edmonton.

Only one more vs Montreal - who have been this team's kryptonite - but not that consistent vs the rest of the division...

And 4 more opportunities vs Calgary.

BUT the canucks can't keep winning like this. were 0/5 on the PP In the last 3 games, Miller tries to hard, and the canucks are not a puck possesion team. Just this last game Myer's fell down after taking a slapper to the shins, Quinn had a offensive giveaway when he was pressured by 2 defenders, we had a bad game on the dot and we gave up a goal on the PK. all the times the other team scored it was because green didn't call a timeout. Timeouts called only benefit the team who calls them, and think of the pyscholgy behind it. think of the other team knowing we are getting a timeout, I bet they're so scared how extra prepared we would be over them.

Fire Green, fire everyone. we didn't deserve to win more games in the past 10 games then 29 other teams, and it can't keep going on if we ontinue to play like this

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

All the games are key but it’s the Calgary ones which are critical. We don’t want to make the points up on those above only to see the flames take 4th. 

so lose the games vs the playoff teams and beat the teams out of the playoffs then is better?

• RoughGame 2

Nervous about this one/any game that Demko isn't starting nowadays. 4th line came up big for us, we need Boeser to break out a bit and steal this next game because the defence looked sluggish and now we've got a much worse goalie in net.

Our team defence has been average the last few games but Demko has bailed us out, it's these games with a rubbish backup where we really need to gel together to help out our goalie once in a while, otherwise Montreal put up 5 goals against us again. Winning 2 in a row against the same team is very tricky but the Canucks have a bit of swagger now.

6-5 Canucks in a wild one. Boeser hat trick, Schmidt, Vesey and Myers with the others.

50 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

so lose the games vs the playoff teams and beat the teams out of the playoffs then is better?

Stop being obtuse - where did I say lose the games against the playoff teams is better 

• Thanks 1

Thought we played well overall against MTL to earn the win, but small unenforced errors can lead to costly results.

I hope we continue to weed out those bad mistakes, this team is rounding out into form. Need to limit those self-inflicting wounds, stay disciplined, and keep moving their feet. 

Also super uncharacteristically we got hammered in the faceoff dot. MTL 66% as we were at 34%. Bo in the last five games has been very up and down in his faceoff proficiency, but then again without Jay Beagle, we have been using him more. Need to win more faceoffs to start with possession.

• Hydration 1
2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If we win this game, I wouldn’t be surprised if we go on a run like the 2019 Blues.

Not a cup win, but sort of like what happened to them during the second half of the regular season in 2018-19 and in the playoffs backed by an emerging #1 goalie.

FTFY.

8 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Thought we played well overall against MTL to earn the win, but small unenforced errors can lead to costly results.

I hope we continue to weed out those bad mistakes, this team is rounding out into form. Need to limit those self-inflicting wounds, stay disciplined, and keep moving their feet. 

Also super uncharacteristically we got hammered in the faceoff dot. MTL 66% as we were at 34%. Bo in the last five games has been very up and down in his faceoff proficiency, but then again without Jay Beagle, we have been using him more. Need to win more faceoffs to start with possession.

That was as bad a night as I can remember for faceoffs in awhile. Definitely need to clean that up while we wait for Beagle.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
47 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Stop being obtuse - where did I say lose the games against the playoff teams is better 

you said they were more critical. i'm just trying to understand what you mean. are we more likely to get into the playoffs if we win all our games vs calgary but lose all our games vs edmonton?

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

FTFY.
Would be good if he finds his form and can at least become a solid backup who gives us a chance of winning.

I’m still optimistic that Holtby will turn it around, eventually. The adjustments he’s making with Clark take time. And the team in front of our goalies has not made it easy on them, especially through the first half of the season. From everything I’ve heard, Holtby has been working really hard from day one and is fully committed to implementing Clark’s coaching. Of course, it’s taking longer than anyone would have hoped, but I still feel like there’s a decent chance that eventually the switch will flip, and the technical adjustments will finally become second nature, and seamlessly integrated into Holtby’s game. Hopefully that happens soon, because adding a solid Holtby, to backup God-level Demko, would be such a bonus to our stretch drive and playoff aspirations.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

R U SERIOUS? he just scored game-winning goals in 2 of the last 3 games on plays where he took charge. 

SHe's right, even JT said it. The guy is a stud but when things aren't going well he sometimes tries too hard and it sometimes ends up a giveaway. No biggie, the guys fricken awesome.

• Hydration 1
2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think I'd go with Demko tomorrow.  Ride the hot hand.  He did not look burnt out tonight at all.  3 more games and he gets a week off.  Ride him until we are firmly in a playoff spot.  Holtby will have his turn.  If Holtby sh*ts the bed tomorrow we could ruin weeks of momentum and fall 3 points back of Montreal.  Tomorrow's game should be treated like a playoff game.  You don't take your starter out in the playoffs and play your backup.

He's played 9 straight and we need him sharp for the Jets. Demko has played well against the Jets and I think a sweep is a real possibility. Plus Holtby has had 3 weeks to work with Ian, who said he felt he's been able to get him past the flaw he noticed. Just a gut feeling but I'm sure Holtby is itching to show he's better than he's been. Plus a much improved D should help.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS