The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

For me it's Demko next 3 games until the break, then send him to a spa for a week for r & r

If Holtby is rusty, playing him for1 game then another 12 days off (assuming Demko plays the 2 vs Winnipeg) won't "unrust" him.  We have to ride the hot hand as every point is crucial, but none more than the 2 tonight

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
13 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

The fact is it is a sprint, this is not an 82 game season 

The fact is there is still 20ish games remaining. We need demko for the majority. Not ride till he dies in a week. These guys play at the highest level. They need breaks every now and then. 

I thought someone who played at such an elite level like yourself would understand that. 

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, stawns said:

They'll need a top cman in that case.  I think it's clear Petey might not have the size or face off skills to be a 1C

45% isn't great, but Petey can still develop a lot more strength, he's just 22. With a couple more strength training offseason's and his hand eye abilities he can get over 50%.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Demko's played 23 games this season....that's not a whole lot if you consider what a "normal" season would look like.  Sure, this one's compressed but he's young...I don't think you can "fear" playing him because the fear is if you don't, no one will be playing soon/post season.  

He's earned the right to at least decide.  They should weigh in how he's feeling (because we're not privy to that), etc.

I'm ok either way...but my confidence definitely lies with TD.  I'm worried if he's not in net tonight.  This is where he shines...under intense pressure.  His mental game has him dialled right in.

its not the 23 games, its the amount of work on the knees in a 24 hour period that concerns me. 

• Vintage 1

And in the short term Graovac is available, in the taxi squad.  I can't find the reference but I remember after 6 Moose games he was something like 21 for 27 in the dot

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no he doesn't 'need' to. 

Cowgary might need to start Makry back to back, and we've seen what that can do. If they overwork Marky tonight and lose him for significant time they're toast. Same for us here. 

Hot hand with a day of rest is one thing, but we don't need to overwork an athlete when we have a very capable backup who's had a &^@# ton of practice time and is likely very motivated. 

Add to that, the reffing performance we're likely to see and Price. Nah, we need to think a bit beyond tonight. 

Hoping that Demko playing or not is a call between Demko, Clarke and Green. I have been pretty negative on the team’s d-side play for a few games now. Last night their zone exits were spot on most of the night. Demko stops a break away at the end but generally he had a far easier game. 

I agree that Demko cannot be overplayed and ideally Holtby goes in. The play today, travel and play again on Monday. They do have a week off. coming soon. I suspect that gets worked into the calculation. 

Has Gaudette turned the corner? What a great goal. Hogz is really consistent. Cannot remember which d-man but he pin Che’s with 2 minutes left in the game??? 

• Hydration 2
11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

45% isn't great, but Petey can still develop a lot more strength, he's just 22. With a couple more strength training offseason's and his hand eye abilities he can get over 50%.

It's certainly possible, but it's just as possible he isn't able to handle 1C duties and become a 1LW too.  Nothing wrong with that.

I don't see any option but Demko tonight. They need to gain ground on the Habs and Demko is key to that. They have two against the Keys and then a rest period.  Holtby likely gets one of those and after the rest they probably ride demko until they're in or out.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

I think Demko gives us the better chance of winning this game

I think the decision to play or not should be left to him and the goalie coach

It is net to lose after all

And on the flip side of the coin I know Holtby needs to play some games as well

Decisions - decisions

• Hydration 2
47 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

The fact is it is a sprint, this is not an 82 game season 

ummm, nope it's 56 games. I don't know what sports you've played but a 56 game hockey schedule is not a sprint

I'll except 1500m but nothing less

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

ummm, nope it's 56 games. I don't know what sports you've played but a 56 game hockey schedule is not a sprint

I'll except 1500m but nothing less

These are top performance athletes in the prime of their fitness.  

2 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Get em Holtz! I have confidence in both our goalies.

I'm ok with this too.  Having a solid "tandem" rather than a competitive starter/back up situation might lend itself better to an overall team mentality.

Demko's setting the bar very high and now it's up to Holtby to carry the baton and not lose ground.  I, too, like him and have confidence in him...just not Bubble Demko confidence (yet).  There's still time to develop more of that for me...(didn't see that the decision had been made...fully accept it).  

• Vintage 1

Watta MASSIVE game for holtby’s confidence and for the fans confidence in him

It was the right, logical move

holtby has a great save percentage  in MTL 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1
Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I'm ok with this too.  Having a solid "tandem" rather than a competitive starter/back up situation might lend itself better to an overall team mentality.

Demko's setting the bar very high and now it's up to Holtby to carry the baton and not lose ground.  I, too, like him and have confidence in him...just not Bubble Demko confidence (yet).  There's still time to develop more of that for me...(didn't see that the decision had been made...fully accept it).  

Very few, if any, games lost this year have been due to goaltending.

The team play has been trending in the right direction, less mistakes and better defense as of late, still needs lots of work though.

Its up to the team as a whole, if Holtby plays solid he will give us a shot and that's all he can do, the rest is up to the team in front.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 20, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS