The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So What Do We Need To Make The Dance?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

12 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Guessing it'll take 63 pts to get foot in the door.

Thus, we need 14 W's & 28 pts.

Well, sayin' we go 14 - 5 - 2 to waltz into 3rd place of the Div.

& my half full tumbler of Scotch? Down the hatch! Compai!

We have 21 games left. I think winning 2/3 of those games is a reasonable expectation given our strong March...without Petey. That makes 14 wins and 28 pts for a total of 63 pts. So I agree with you on that! But we will need Demmer to keep up his stellar play. And we also need a couple of dance teams ahead of us to stub their toes.

• Vintage 2

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

need EP and/or Beagle back.

great run they're on - but really difficult to sustain something like this the rest of the season with overlapping center injuries.

need to gut it out until they get that gamechanging EP back and the backbone of Beagle's.

if that happens, all bets are off!!

From a wins/losses perspective - they need to dominate Calgary head to head - and they need to otherwise sustain - and if another team has a stretch like the Leafs past few weeks - where they've come crashing into the pack - and the Canucks gained 10 pts in 7 games on them....if any of Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal (I'm leaving Winnipeg out lol) - run into the wild inconsistency we've seen from most teams at times this season - it could get really interesting.

But from within - they need Demko to continue to be himself, they need to stay healthy on the blueline - or at least nothing more significant that a depth loss - (I think they could still win with OJ in the lineup, but a couple injuries there and it's probably curtains - and they need a center or two back.

I think MTL has a less favourable schedule than we do, in part because they don't get the gift of playing us. If they aren't gifted any more loser points going forward its not going to be easy for them.

We face Ottawa and Calgary 4 more times each, and we're within reach of taking Calgary now. We probably have to take 3/4 of each series but thats possible. 

• Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think MTL has a less favourable schedule than we do, in part because they don't get the gift of playing us. If they aren't gifted any more loser points going forward its not going to be easy for them.

We face Ottawa and Calgary 4 more times each, and we're within reach of taking Calgary now. We probably have to take 3/4 of each series but thats possible. 

CAL for sure is a team we can catch and pass.   MTL... well it's MTL and they are tough to analyze.   Great D and goaltending as long as Petry, Weber and one of Price or Allen don't go down....Vegas like depth on wing... their center postion for sure is their biggest issue though, and no game breaking forward star like talent.    Their record for sure is propped up in loser points plus how well they've played us.    Could see both them and EDM taking a nose dive if a key injury or two occur.   Take our Weber or take out McDavid or Drasialtl and they could be in trouble. 

Edit: On paper CAL should be a top two - three for sure team but are not.   Announcers gush over this being the most exciting division to watch play...it's for sure a tough one.   We've managed to far exceed what we managed to do against these teams last year so there is still hope for sure 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

C'mon folks, call it. We got 21 left to play, Almost even for home & away(1 more).

We're 16-16 & 3 for 35 pts in 35 gp.

Q1- What total will it take to make it?

Q2- What record does Van require, to punch their ticket?

Q3- What position will Van wind up in?

Glass half full or empty?..well, put your $ where the mouth is.

I would say we need at least 65 points to get into the playoffs.  We have to hope that other teams win their other games outright and don't end up being 3 point games.  That is killing us right now.  

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

^THIS^...we have a losing record right now against EVERY team in our division except Ottawa (we're 5-0). So no matter how much we step it up we will also need help from the teams above us. No more head to heads against MTL so sweeping them can't help us. If all we do is beat up on Ottawa and Calgary then we will finish a comfortable 5th. We will need to beat up WPG (3 GR) / EDM (4 GR) / TML (3 GR)...take 2/3 off WPG + 3/4 off EDM & 2/3 off TML AND Les Habs need to stumble a bit in their remaining games...THEN just MAYBE we might have a shot to squeak into the playoffs in 4th place...

That's A LOT of MAYBE's for sure...we will need help.

5 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

We have 21 games left. I think winning 2/3 of those games is a reasonable expectation given our strong March...without Petey. That makes 14 wins and 28 pts for a total of 63 pts. So I agree with you on that! But we will need Demmer to keep up his stellar play. And we also need a couple of dance teams ahead of us to stub their toes.

It's like that big fatty, Meatloaf sang:

Now doon't be saaad, cos' 14 outa' 21 ain't

baaaaaaaaaddddd

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

CAL for sure is a team we can catch and pass.   MTL... well it's MTL and they are tough to analyze.   Great D and goaltending as long as Petry, Weber and one of Price or Allen don't go down....Vegas like depth on wing... their center postion for sure is their biggest issue though, and no game breaking forward star like talent.    Their record for sure is propped up in loser points plus how well they've played us.    Could see both them and EDM taking a nose dive if a key injury or two occur.   Take our Weber or take out McDavid or Drasialtl and they could be in trouble. 

Edit: On paper CAL should be a top two - three for sure team but are not.   Announcers gush over this being the most exciting division to watch play...it's for sure a tough one.   We've managed to far exceed what we managed to do against these teams last year so there is still hope for sure 

I know its not supposed to be an excuse but the reffing in the MTL games was some of the worst I've seen in a while. 3 non calls in a row last night :picard: e.g.

I'd just love to crush Cowgary out of the playoffs. That along with Demko having a better year than Marky is something real to build on if we end up out of the hunt.

I do think MTL is primed for a fall but if the older bodies on that team stay healthy then they probably still beat us by a few games when its all said and done. 

Interestingly, if this was a regular year we'd be 16th in the league right now, so while it looks bad in our wonky division we're probably a wildcard team in a normal year. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Vintage 1

More ya think about this disgusting league & their antics, the more I appreciate Van hangin' in there.

Seemed every game we played(early sched vs Leafs & slabs) they were rested, & our guys were runnin' on fumes. It's already patently clear Battman/BOG aren't too chummy with our franchise(is it our owners? Don't know?)

Ya think the league would LIKE the Fleas & Habs(ca$h cows) in the final-4?!?! Yaaa think???

There's no justification for the early sched-slam our boys faced. They would never have done this to the 2 $acred cow, darlings. Just gotta' pray an unlikely Van-run upsets their rotten apple-cart.

& if the Habs slither in with coward pts?..****'em! Don't care. One last run for their aging, overpaid & rickety vets. Their youth got Nothing on our young talent!

Another thing you'll see. Media will dub it 2 vet teams, "defensive chess". Just watch, all the Flea/Slab tilts will produce 3 pts to benefit both. They scheduled them 2 LOTS at the end, it would appear.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

2 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

We just need one thing, a new coach.

I agree - one of the reasons we lost All our games (but 2) in the month of February and had an almost as bad January is the lack of preparation, readiness and motivation instilled into the players and that all rest on Greens shoulders.   He and his AHL calibre coaching staff must be put on a barge and pushed out to sea - at seasons end.   

P.S.: I'm pretty sure it will happen this year too!   Everyone is Fed up with Travis' losing mentality.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tampa's goalie Vasiekski won his 12th game in a row yesterday, so we can let Demko go on a similar run. Which is doable, at his pace. 

While I'd love nothing more than to see the canucks pull-off a miracle.  The odds for us of making the playoffs are just 13.9% and with less than 20 games to go - we're pretty well cooked!  

We needed to OR win those two games against the Canadians over the weekend and we failed.  That sealed the deal for this year - for the most part.  Hopefully next year when we have entirely NEW NHL experienced Coaching staff and some of the OLD/Deadwood is gone (freeing up $20M to resign the young guns and get some fresh blood in here) we'll be in better shape.  The year after that when we shed the last $22M of cr^p off the books we'll be in even better shape - UNLESS - JB goes on one of his infamous "brain fart escapades" and hands out another half dozen NTC's and LT contracts to Old/Slow unmotivated Senior citizens.   (Never know with that guy !!!)

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree - one of the reasons we lost All our games (but 2) in the month of February and had an almost as bad January is the lack of preparation, readiness and motivation instilled into the players and that all rest on Greens shoulders.   He and his AHL calibre coaching staff must be put on a barge and pushed out to sea - at seasons end.   

P.S.: I'm pretty sure it will happen this year too!   Everyone is Fed up with Travis' losing mentality.

Sounds like you want Richard Simmons behind the bench.

If a coach needs to motivate his players, it’s not the coach that needs to go, it’s the players. 

Here is some food for thought. 
what’s the difference Between Babcock coaching the Redwings and Babcock coaching the leafs? It’s the players bud.
- Our core is in their early 20’s, they need to figure it out and will. 

- We have a non existent bottom 6 that’s a mix of players that don’t complement each other. 

- We have 1 top pairing d man.

- We don’t have a shutdown pairing

- We have a player picked up on wavers in our top 6 and power play for god sake. 

- We don’t have a hard shot on the blue line. 
- Our franchise player is injured

- we have had a top heavy schedule with little time to practice. 

the coach gets wayyyy too much criticism considering the tools he has to work with. The fact that we got 7/8 points on this road trip isn’t due to bad coaching. 

I’ll never understand the coaching blame. Look at the team poor WD had and we ran him out of town. Seriously, the man did all he could do his ghetto lineup that got him fired. Travis is in the same boat. We are an emerging core. Stability is what we need. 

These players literally have 1 job in life. They get millions of dollars to play a game and yet never get held accountable. They know how to advance the puck without turning it over, they know how to get out of their zone. Execution is on them. 

• Like 2