Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So What Do We Need To Make The Dance?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

Sounds like you want Richard Simmons behind the bench.
 

If a coach needs to motivate his players, it’s not the coach that needs to go, it’s the players. 

 

Here is some food for thought. 
what’s the difference Between Babcock coaching the Redwings and Babcock coaching the leafs? It’s the players bud.
- Our core is in their early 20’s, they need to figure it out and will. 

- We have a non existent bottom 6 that’s a mix of players that don’t complement each other. 

- We have 1 top pairing d man.

- We don’t have a shutdown pairing

- We have a player picked up on wavers in our top 6 and power play for god sake. 

- We don’t have a hard shot on the blue line. 
- Our franchise player is injured

- we have had a top heavy schedule with little time to practice. 
 

the coach gets wayyyy too much criticism considering the tools he has to work with. The fact that we got 7/8 points on this road trip isn’t due to bad coaching. 
 

I’ll never understand the coaching blame. Look at the team poor WD had and we ran him out of town. Seriously, the man did all he could do his ghetto lineup that got him fired. Travis is in the same boat. We are an emerging core. Stability is what we need. 
 

These players literally have 1 job in life. They get millions of dollars to play a game and yet never get held accountable. They know how to advance the puck without turning it over, they know how to get out of their zone. Execution is on them. 

Good points and I agree wholeheartedly with the entire list of other problems you've listed (some of which I've also mentioned in some of my recent post) -   BUT  - I still insist that TG is NOT the coach to take us to the promised land.  Neither are the special teams coaches.   They all must GO and will.   I'll be very disappointed if the MGMT / Owners don't make changes after this year.    

  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Man, there's a Heckuva'lotta' "well..ummm, if THIS happens, ahhh, maybe's..."

 

Need Apollo to chime in here!  We're up against...

 

- haters(posin as fairweather schmoes), at assorted sites & donut shops

- League sched casino-dealers

- Bought & paid reffs

- lackey, wh*ring media(with Ron Ma**** smirks on their sneaky faces)

 

Put'cher $$$$ where your mouths(& heart) might be! Tell me we WILL (or won't)

 

We're the lil' engine that could, chugging up that ol' hill of corruption.

 

Yeah, unlikely..but who BELIEVES?!

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Good points and I agree wholeheartedly with the entire list of other problems you've listed (some of which I've also mentioned in some of my recent post) -   BUT  - I still insist that TG is NOT the coach to take us to the promised land.  Neither are the special teams coaches.   They all must GO and will.   I'll be very disappointed if the MGMT / Owners don't make changes after this year.    

Agree to disagree. I think the biggest mistake in a rebuild is a revolving door of coaches. Look at Buffalo, the Oilers. 

Another point I’d like to add. Why are players given the patience to develop but the coaching staff isn’t? We have a young NHL coaching staff developing with the core. That’s a good thing.
 

I don’t Blame Baumer for giveaways in our own zone. 
I don’t blame Brown for having no slapper on the PP and really only one player that can carry the puck in. 
I don’t blame Green for not motivating millionaires who are millionaires because they are self motivated.

I think the coaching staff is doing a great job developing our core and I’d love to have them back. 

  • Like 2
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Convincing John said:

Agree to disagree. I think the biggest mistake in a rebuild is a revolving door of coaches. Look at Buffalo, the Oilers. 

Another point I’d like to add. Why are players given the patience to develop but the coaching staff isn’t? We have a young NHL coaching staff developing with the core. That’s a good thing.
 

I don’t Blame Baumer for giveaways in our own zone. 
I don’t blame Brown for having no slapper on the PP and really only one player that can carry the puck in. 
I don’t blame Green for not motivating millionaires who are millionaires because they are self motivated.

I think the coaching staff is doing a great job developing our core and I’d love to have them back. 

coz the coaching staff haven't grown at all? have the coaching staff made changes since they were first hired? doesn't look like it to me.. it's the same game plan every game 0 adjustment 0 changes made since he's been here. even simple things call a time out when ur team needs one.. nah must save it for the last min of the 3rd period that they'll never use 99% of the time. when something doesn't work? well keep trying the same thing until it works.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say we need a minor miracle to make the dance.  However, I'm really impressed with how the Canucks have improved their defensive game over the last 15 games or so.  That bodes well for next year but I don't think we have much of a chance to make the playoffs with where we are in the standings and with the games in hand that Calgary and Montreal have.  Nevertheless, Go Canucks!

  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2021 at 7:51 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

C'mon folks, call it. We got 21 left to play, Almost even for home & away(1 more).

 

We're 16-16 & 3 for 35 pts in 35 gp.

 

Q1- What total will it take to make it?

 

Q2- What record does Van require, to punch their ticket?

 

Q3- What position will Van wind up in?

 

Glass half full or empty?..well, put your $ where the mouth is.

wait patiently for 2023 when JB has a more experienced young core, and more experienced depth from players on the farm, and Podz here... 

it's not just making it to the post season, it actually winning it so making the final tweaks are easy from here on in, seriously, the worst GM now or in the history of the NHL couldn't screw this up, even a assistant GM could do it.

 Are some too blind to see this fact? it's way past "some" but hey people can have nothing better to do than critique something that isn't quite finished all they like but it doesn't change it. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not about making it to the dance, it's about development and gaining experience.  We all know that we do have all piece that needs some more time to dominate the league with some real depth.  What we saw in the playoffs last year is that we have a long way to go.  We forgot that the Canucks did not play well before the season was cancelled.   We were overwhelmed in the playoffs and it took a hot goaltender to carry us through the series with timely goals and we weren't a world-beater in the series.   I could foreseen us making the playoffs once things go back to normal with full 82-games schedule and border opens up again and we are at least 2 years away, according to GMJB.  

  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Canucks odds of making the playoffs after tonight's blowout against Winnipeg are down to 6.2%.  In other words; Not a chance in hell!  The Montreal games on the weekend that we needed to win outright (BUT DID NOT)  "Sealed The Deal" !

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2021 at 11:55 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Replace all the coaches except Ian Clark. 

And no to Gallant. 

I was prepared to see the team take a step back this year. But I didn't expect this level of inconsistency. 

 

On 3/21/2021 at 1:54 AM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Too many points.

 

On 3/21/2021 at 2:34 AM, rychicken said:

we need one or two teams to forfeit the balance of the season by mid April

 

On 3/21/2021 at 1:27 PM, tas said:

an identity. 

 

On 3/21/2021 at 3:40 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

We just need one thing, a new coach.

 

On 3/21/2021 at 6:01 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree - one of the reasons we lost All our games (but 2) in the month of February and had an almost as bad January is the lack of preparation, readiness and motivation instilled into the players and that all rest on Greens shoulders.   He and his AHL calibre coaching staff must be put on a barge and pushed out to sea - at seasons end.   

P.S.: I'm pretty sure it will happen this year too!   Everyone is Fed up with Travis' losing mentality.

 

On 3/21/2021 at 6:06 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

While I'd love nothing more than to see the canucks pull-off a miracle.  The odds for us of making the playoffs are just 13.9% and with less than 20 games to go - we're pretty well cooked!  

We needed to OR win those two games against the Canadians over the weekend and we failed.  That sealed the deal for this year - for the most part.  Hopefully next year when we have entirely NEW NHL experienced Coaching staff and some of the OLD/Deadwood is gone (freeing up $20M to resign the young guns and get some fresh blood in here) we'll be in better shape.  The year after that when we shed the last $22M of cr^p off the books we'll be in even better shape - UNLESS - JB goes on one of his infamous "brain fart escapades" and hands out another half dozen NTC's and LT contracts to Old/Slow unmotivated Senior citizens.   (Never know with that guy !!!)

 

On 3/21/2021 at 6:46 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

Good points and I agree wholeheartedly with the entire list of other problems you've listed (some of which I've also mentioned in some of my recent post) -   BUT  - I still insist that TG is NOT the coach to take us to the promised land.  Neither are the special teams coaches.   They all must GO and will.   I'll be very disappointed if the MGMT / Owners don't make changes after this year.    

 

On 3/21/2021 at 11:15 PM, Ronaldoescobar said:

An absolute miracle.

 

On 3/22/2021 at 1:58 PM, wai_lai416 said:

coz the coaching staff haven't grown at all? have the coaching staff made changes since they were first hired? doesn't look like it to me.. it's the same game plan every game 0 adjustment 0 changes made since he's been here. even simple things call a time out when ur team needs one.. nah must save it for the last min of the 3rd period that they'll never use 99% of the time. when something doesn't work? well keep trying the same thing until it works.

 

 

NO.

 

 

  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Me_ said:

 

  On 3/20/2021 at 8:55 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Replace all the coaches except Ian Clark. 

And no to Gallant. 

I was prepared to see the team take a step back this year. But I didn't expect this level of inconsistency. 

 

  On 3/20/2021 at 10:54 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Too many points.

 

  On 3/20/2021 at 11:34 PM, rychicken said:

we need one or two teams to forfeit the balance of the season by mid April

 

  On 3/21/2021 at 10:27 AM, tas said:

an identity. 

 

  On 3/21/2021 at 12:40 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

We just need one thing, a new coach.

 

  On 3/21/2021 at 3:01 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree - one of the reasons we lost All our games (but 2) in the month of February and had an almost as bad January is the lack of preparation, readiness and motivation instilled into the players and that all rest on Greens shoulders.   He and his AHL calibre coaching staff must be put on a barge and pushed out to sea - at seasons end.   

P.S.: I'm pretty sure it will happen this year too!   Everyone is Fed up with Travis' losing mentality.

 

  On 3/21/2021 at 3:06 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

While I'd love nothing more than to see the canucks pull-off a miracle.  The odds for us of making the playoffs are just 13.9% and with less than 20 games to go - we're pretty well cooked!  

We needed to OR win those two games against the Canadians over the weekend and we failed.  That sealed the deal for this year - for the most part.  Hopefully next year when we have entirely NEW NHL experienced Coaching staff and some of the OLD/Deadwood is gone (freeing up $20M to resign the young guns and get some fresh blood in here) we'll be in better shape.  The year after that when we shed the last $22M of cr^p off the books we'll be in even better shape - UNLESS - JB goes on one of his infamous "brain fart escapades" and hands out another half dozen NTC's and LT contracts to Old/Slow unmotivated Senior citizens.   (Never know with that guy !!!)

 

  On 3/21/2021 at 3:46 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

Good points and I agree wholeheartedly with the entire list of other problems you've listed (some of which I've also mentioned in some of my recent post) -   BUT  - I still insist that TG is NOT the coach to take us to the promised land.  Neither are the special teams coaches.   They all must GO and will.   I'll be very disappointed if the MGMT / Owners don't make changes after this year.    

 

  On 3/21/2021 at 8:15 PM, Ronaldoescobar said:

An absolute miracle.

 

  On 3/22/2021 at 10:58 AM, wai_lai416 said:

coz the coaching staff haven't grown at all? have the coaching staff made changes since they were first hired? doesn't look like it to me.. it's the same game plan every game 0 adjustment 0 changes made since he's been here. even simple things call a time out when ur team needs one.. nah must save it for the last min of the 3rd period that they'll never use 99% of the time. when something doesn't work? well keep trying the same thing until it works.

6 hours ago, Me_ said:

NO.

 

If I buy you a sandwich & Pop at Timmy's will you change your mind?   (I'll throw in a doughnut !!!)

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

charlton heston old hollywood GIF

 

On 3/21/2021 at 8:15 PM, Ronaldoescobar said:

An absolute miracle.

OK.....here's the miracle.

 

 

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I think we've got all the pieces:

 

1 - our top line is one of the most dynamic in the league, they just need to be consistent and Miller and Petey took too long to get ready. They also have great PP potential as we've seen last year.

 

2 - one of the best 2nd line wingers in the NHL.

 

3 - decent PK, usually hovering around top-10.

 

4 - at the moment a very average secondary and tertiary group of scorers but last year they had great numbers (Gaudette, Virtanen, Motte). JB has gone and snagged Vesey and Boyd who instantly add some more decent depth scoring when it looked like we were drying up.

 

5 - Demko took a few games to get into a groove but has been one of the best goalies in the month and oozes potential to be a Vezina-calibre goalie.

 

6 - Hughes is one of the best puck moving defencemen in the league and when he's paired with a safe defenceman like Tanev or Hamonic (instead of Benn), we don't leak in as many goals.

 

7 - our top-4 defencemen are at least average, Schmidt was a former top-2 defencemen on 2 deep contending teams and Myers is playing in his prime. 

 

Admittedly for me, our weaknesses are depth forwards at times, inconsistent star players and rubbish coaching, but we've got the players and pieces in the right spots - we just need to use them better.

 

I would say can the coach and bring in a proper NHL coach (eg. See what Quinneville is doing in Florida, we're a year or two behind their young stars) because that could easily fix our deployment and execution issues, but I think management just want to fight on through. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...