The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So What Do We Need To Make The Dance?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

On 3/22/2021 at 10:24 PM, coolboarder said:

It is not about making it to the dance, it's about development and gaining experience.  We all know that we do have all piece that needs some more time to dominate the league with some real depth.  What we saw in the playoffs last year is that we have a long way to go.  We forgot that the Canucks did not play well before the season was cancelled.   We were overwhelmed in the playoffs and it took a hot goaltender to carry us through the series with timely goals and we weren't a world-beater in the series.   I could foreseen us making the playoffs once things go back to normal with full 82-games schedule and border opens up again and we are at least 2 years away, according to GMJB.  

ummm I hope I'm not mistaken was him counting this season as one and then one more. Seems to make sense as LE and Luongo are off the books by then 

On 3/22/2021 at 9:09 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hellish jinx-thread :^(

Y'know if Bo won't be well

It's simply time to SELL

Sutter going down was the breaking point imo.   Curtains. 

They needed EP and/or Beagle back - instead they lost yet another center.

No hope of hiding Gaudette's line - add an AHL replacment center to the mix - with Miller and Horvat having to be all situations, all the time. 

Horvat was insult to injury - thankfully he seems ok.  Nevertheless - not going to beat many teams in these circumstances, Demko on fire or not.

It's may be a fool's hope, but what we need to pull off a successful run to the playoffs is a talented group of guys who can actually play with some form of consistent grit and urgency.

Unfortunately, digging yourself into a hole with extremely inconsistent play and relying on those higher in the standings to falter and/or play spoiler isn't a recipe for such success. At this point, the only positive thing we can salvage from the season is Demko's play and perhaps another very high 1st round draft pick.

• Cheers 1

This year is looking like a wash. It’s a truncated season anyways, so as a fan, I don’t see it as a huge loss. Maybe it’s just me, but I’d rather the Canucks first Cup not occur in an asterisk year where they celebrate in a most empty arena. 

There are some great players on the team but as others have said, the consistency of play with this team is not there at all. Some games they look dominant and all world, then some games, they look like they’d have a hard time winning in the AHL. It’s frustrating for sure, but I’m just a fan. I can’t imagine how some of the players feel about it. 

I’m hoping for some significant changes to occur this off-season to help address the issues that still plague this team. Wait and see at this point, but it would be wise to make some trades with a eye towards the future. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Right now it looks like our best hope of making the playoffs is to overtake Montreal. We're two points behind but they have 6 games in hand, which looks unsurmountable. But with their games suspended at the moment due to covid issues, they will have a crazy number of games to play ... something like 25 games in 43 days. They could run out of gas by the final weeks of their schedule. Of course, to take advantage the Nucks will have to get back to their winning ways. This long break should help to reenergize them to do that.

I think it's gonna go down to the wire between the Nucks and the Habs for the last playoff spot.

Edited by yes we can nucks

37 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

Right now it looks like our best hope of making the playoffs is to overtake Montreal. We're two points behind but they have 6 games in hand, which looks unsurmountable. But with their games suspended at the moment due to covid issues, they will have a crazy number of games to play ... something like 25 games in 43 days. They could run out of gas by the final weeks of their schedule. Of course, to take advantage the Nucks will have to get back to their winning ways. This long break should help to reenergize them to do that.

I think it's gonna go down to the wire between the Nucks and the Habs for the last playoff spot.

Habs have points in every single game vs the Canucks. Their only losses against came in OT/Shootout. We’ve only have gotten points in 4/9 games vs them. 

Habs also tend to don’t lose much in regulation. 4-2-4 in their last 10. More OT/shootout losses than regulation losses. 

Habs will be rested before their rough stretch since they’re sitting out for COVID right now and for the next week. 

Overall things don’t look too pretty. Them doing so well in the season series(6-0-3)  vs us could likely play a significant factor. 

We need a new coaching staff and GM.

that’s just for starters. 

And not about this season this season was over in the offseason when contrary to another line of BS spewed from JB we did take a step backwards. 
once again the goaltender is the sole reason we aren’t dead last As per the last 4 season. 

Statistically speaking its very unlikely the Canucks will make the playoffs. Even if they do, they are not going to get far as constructed. 

Really they should be looking to accumulate picks by trading pending UFA guys now. Then they might have enough picks to add in to get rid of a few terrible contracts in the offseason.

If Benning resigns any of the pending UFA or lets them walk for nothing, its really a step back for the team.

I would be ok with them using the rest of this season to get a look at the young players. And really would not be sad to see a new GM and coaching staff as soon astheseason ends.

Not sure what the fuss is about. The season started terrible, petey got injured and Demko went bananas and played some great games for us. Now we are back at the bottom with many more games played then our oponents which has more points. And now its like the injuries keeps piling up. If Demko turns instant vezina constantly throughout the season and the other teams plays worse then they have doesnt really seem like all that likely. Its almost as if this season wasnt meant to be anything other then a Tank one. I hate it but we cant change it. Our team hurt a lot due to our losses on the D and didnt have time to repair/prepare the difference is my theory. Now we are playing like a middle team but we are in the bottom due to our start.