The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 22, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

31 minutes ago, c00kies said:

It's my birthday today!!!!

Last time we played the Jets on my birthday we got shutout for the 3rd straight game lol.

Hoping for a much better fate (I live in Winnipeg, it sucks losing to the Jets).

Happy birthday! Losing to the Jets and having to live in Winnipeg...nasty combo.  Hope the  Nucks can pull out a win for you.  

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, c00kies said:

It's my birthday today!!!!

Last time we played the Jets on my birthday we got shutout for the 3rd straight game lol.

Hoping for a much better fate (I live in Winnipeg, it sucks losing to the Jets).

Hippie Bath Day! Might I suggest you skip this game and enjoy a nice stroll outdoors, dinner out or a movie? 

(hehehe, you know, based on the last time's results)

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

Toronto has arguably the biggest fanbase of the Canadian teams: and that fanbase can be replicated in many of the southern 'iffy' markets on the turn of a dime. Vancouver has 675 thousand people and lots of them watch hockey, and BC has 5 million and lots of us watch hockey. Phoenix has 4.5 million people and Arizona has 7.5. Not many watch hockey though, but it doesn't take too many % points when the city has 4.5 million instead of 675 thousand to turn around the revenue in a hurry. 

I think it is good to grow the sport into new markets in North America, but what may be even better would be the tier system that the Premiership has in soccer in ENgland for example. There are like the NHl/AHL/ECHL system like a hundred clubs and what the NHL could do is have 32 in teh NHL, another 32 in the AHL and another 32 in the ECHL and just like the premiership or WJH system: the last place team this year bumps ddown to the 2nd tier and their winner bumps up. 

Instant "anti tanking" right there. 

But its too wild a change and the owners would never vote to have a chance to drop to the AHL in a bad year. Too bad, as that format has made even Bolton worth billions.

EDIT: as an aside, contracts could be done as strait % of revenue, you pay your Matthewses 12% or what not and your boydses 1% or what not and then it doesn't matter where you end up in the teir system, your income determines your salary expenditures: but your stars will demand a trade when you tank and drop a tier, that is for sure, just like in the Premiership. 

Another spitball idea is for the NHL to pony up and buy professional womens teams and recreate them into a duplicate WOmens league of the NHL: when the canucks are on the road playing Calgary, literally the Lady Canucks are at home hosting Calgary's Women. Do this for 32 NHL teams and you double the local games available for fans, giving women a bigger stage, and revenue will flow from that. The relative strength of the mens league would then bouy the womens a little, while also lending credence to it. Identical paralell leagues mandated under the NHL and literally each NHL club must have a womens team, makes it easy to implement and get something off the ground, again using %'s for salary instead of hard cash amounts. 

Some really interesting ideas.

4 hours ago, Bo fan said:

Watched part of the Ed vs Jets game - boring - kind of expect the same tonight .  Jets block up the neutral zone  - hate that type of game.  Maybe our speed will get us through.

Another big game - win in regulation

GCG

Our big guys can break that zone, Myers, Bo, Mac, I think Vesey can too.

Smits also. I think Hughes and Hogs can break the trap too with their speed and stickhandling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canucksince99 said:

Lind is in Van? I wonder if he stays for a while and once healed slots into the taxi squad and lineup 

Might as well if he’s already gone through quarantine.

Depends what happens before the trade deadline though. At this point I’m betting they’d give Lind a shot at center over Gaudette.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Might as well if he’s already gone through quarantine.

Depends what happens before the trade deadline though. At this point I’m betting they’d give Lind a shot at center over Gaudette.

Team's officially said on multiple occassions that Kole's being/been groomed in the AHL for Beagle's spot.

It would seem that time's here.

Assuming they want a good look at him before they ship Beagle to a cup favorite.

• Cheers 1

REFEREES

Graham Skilliter #24
GS24.jpg
Chris Schlenker #3
CS03.jpg
Games ’20-21 27 27
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 63 / 0 64 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 492 / 0 202 / 0
First NHL Game 1/28/13 10/24/16
Birthplace La Ronge, SK Medicine Hat, AB

LINESMEN

Steve Barton #59
SB59.jpg
Kiel Murchison #79
KM79.jpg
Games ’20-21 28 29
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 63 / 18 64 / 17
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1296 / 107 568 / 34
First NHL Game 11/1/00 1/21/13
Birthplace Vankleek Hill, ON Cloverdale, BC
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

REFEREES

Graham Skilliter #24
GS24.jpg
Chris Schlenker #3
CS03.jpg
Games ’20-21 27 27

LINESMEN

Steve Barton #59
SB59.jpg
Kiel Murchison #79
KM79.jpg
Games ’20-21 28 29
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 63 / 18 64 / 17
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1296 / 107 568 / 34
First NHL Game 11/1/00 1/21/13
Birthplace Vankleek Hill, ON Cloverdale, BC

Wow maybe just maybe we don’t have to try and beat the refs as well as the other team tonight?

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

REFEREES

Graham Skilliter #24
GS24.jpg
Chris Schlenker #3
CS03.jpg
Games ’20-21 27 27

LINESMEN