The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 22, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, b3. said:

The season ticket holders should be able to take 6 million slap shots at JB for that Eriksson contract.

True story......a couple years ago in Las Vegas, they had these people on the streets who were carrying signs “kick me in the balls for $20”.  I am assuming they were wearing some kind of cup lol.  But what struck me wasn’t that individuals had to resort to this to make money but rather what kind of person would want to this to another individual?

35 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Toronto is a top team with depth.

Canucks are a subpar team with zero depth and cap issues due to bonehead management. 

Kind of sad that after 7-8 years of Benning, Toronto's castaways are needed just to ice a team.

we won more playoff series that leafs have  soo not sure they are that good and next yr our cap is much better and  podkolzin will be lighting it up

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

we won more playoff series that leafs have  soo not sure they are that good and next yr our cap is much better and  podkolzin will be lighting it up

Comparing the ‘Nucks to the Leafs is a new low.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, b3. said:

Yup.

Graovac is nothing more than a fringe 4th line player at the NHL level. This organization has wasted so much time on these type of players over the years.

^Got to have some of these around.

The AHL has regulars who are still chasing the dream, or content with their roles there, like Baumgartner was.

Europe & the KHL steal vets & better fringe players, but it takes a real winning franchise & contender to hold onto a quality bottom roster & feeder league depth the best.

VanCity has had the hardest of travel schedules, but its’ also a great international draw for family lifestyle, quality of life & relative community safety. I’m just worried that in troubled times, our best American players may elect to bolt stateside going closer to home, unless the team is actually challenging for a SCup before pending free agency lures them elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, b3. said:

I always use to enjoy making fun of Edmonton for hiring the other half of the Bruins dumb and dumber (Chiarelli), but at least their ownership eventually realized he was incompetent. But this organization has looked like the "dumber" for keeping  this absolute imbecile management team lead by Jimbo himself.

Jim should be on the front page of "How Not to GM for Dummies, foreward by Garth Snow & Mike Milbury).

Yeah, it's quite unfortunate to see how much we've fallen for the sake of being seen as a "stable" organization around the league.  I was a big fan of Gillis during his time here and rightfully so - he brought us the most success we've seen in this team's history.  But in spite of this, I was ecstatic the day he was fired because it signified we were an organization that was willing to make changes and not accept mediocrity.  Whether his separation was coming or not due to off ice factors, it was hardly irrelevant.  A poor performance was met with consequences and the team was accountable for their poor season.  The same with Nonis.  4 seasons as GM, albeit one a lockout, but two missed playoffs and he was gone.

These days, us fans have to accept a conveyor belt of excuses for why things are the way they are.  And not just from ownership and management, but other fans which is even more bizarre.  It's so frustrating when the "positives" this management brings are always the lowest hanging of fruits.  It's funny you bring up Edmonton and Chiarelli.  Could you imagine if Oilers fans defended Chiarelli's drafting of McDavid (BPA) in the same way some here defend picking Hughes and Pettersson (also BPAs)?  Or if they defended the Lucic signing and Eberle trade tree with a "hindsight is 20/20" like many do here with Benning's moves?  

Sometimes, I think the fans here know deep down that Benning is a major problem for this team but they're so disappointed, dejected, and hopeless from all the negativity and league-wide laughter that have stemmed from his moves as GM that they have chosen to act like anti-Benning and non supporters of his management are the problem instead.  For the sake of this fanbase, I hope that ruthless side of FA comes out and he cleans house at the end of the season.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

What a brutal year of free agency. So many issues stem from that guy. Forget the Beagles and Sutters here for a second. 6 million in cap space would have been huge for us.. the guys a joke and hasn’t been able to play for 3 years. How do you literally score 30 goals, sign a deal and just pack it in. 

It’s been awful pretending likes ok with that guy. Nice they finally said enough is enough this year. Never want to watch a game with that guy on the ice ever again.

Thats coming from a very reasonable fan that’s defended a lot of other signings that half the fans don’t approve of either 

Eriksson will not retire. We cannot even bribe him with an asst. coaching or player development assignment. 

Best scenario, is for an insider to pull-off a ‘Tonya Harding’ (with him not playing) and have him finish his career on LTIR, like so many other vets, /or a buy-out (which won’t happen either, in these cash strapped/more monitored times). 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, viking mama said:

He will not retire. We cannot even bribe him with coaching team assignment or some other organizational gig. 

Best scenario, is for an insider to pull-off a ‘Tonya Harding’ (with him not playing) and have him finish his career on LTIR, like so many other vets, /or a buy-out (which won’t happen either, in these cash strapped/more monitored times). 

Oh I know he’s just going to sit there and collect his cheque. I gave up on the idea of him retiring last year. I don’t want to see us move assets either. He’s already cost us there. He can sit in the pressbox till the end of his career. Only one more year.

2 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Yeah, it's quite unfortunate to see how much we've fallen for the sake of being seen as a "stable" organization around the league.  I was a big fan of Gillis during his time here and rightfully so - he brought us the most success we've seen in this team's history.  But in spite of this, I was ecstatic the day he was fired because it signified we were an organization that was willing to make changes and not accept mediocrity.  Whether his separation was coming or not due to off ice factors, it was hardly irrelevant.  A poor performance was met with consequences and the team was accountable for their poor season.  The same with Nonis.  4 seasons as GM, albeit one a lockout, but two missed playoffs and he was gone.

These days, us fans have to accept a conveyor belt of excuses for why things are the way they are.  And not just from ownership and management, but other fans which is even more bizarre.  It's so frustrating when the "positives" this management brings are always the lowest hanging of fruits.  It's funny you bring up Edmonton and Chiarelli.  Could you imagine if Oilers fans defended Chiarelli's drafting of McDavid (BPA) in the same way some here defend picking Hughes and Pettersson (also BPAs)?  Or if they defended the Lucic signing and Eberle trade tree with a "hindsight is 20/20" like many do here with Benning's moves?  

Sometimes, I think the fans here know deep down that Benning is a major problem for this team but they're so disappointed, dejected, and hopeless from all the negativity and league-wide laughter that have stemmed from his moves as GM that they have chosen to act like anti-Benning and non supporters of his management are the problem instead.  For the sake of this fanbase, I hope that ruthless side of FA comes out and he cleans house at the end of the season.

The one thing about Gillis, was that he was an intelligent man who surrounded himself with intelligent people. And this was evident in his media appearances, and I truly believe he was ahead of his time. He was pushing the limits, had a clear plan, and had the old boys club panicking. Those 2009-2011 years were amazing to be a fan, lots of heartbreak but damn we were good.

Now with Jim, he has pushed every intelligent person away, and has a crooked proven failure as his AGM. He constantly makes himself look so unintelligent and unprepared in every media appearance he makes, because he has no plan, he makes mistake after mistake. And the most frustrating part is that this failure of a GM has an a mile long leash. The fans deserve so much better...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, b3. said:

The one thing about Gillis, was that he was an intelligent man who surrounded himself with intelligent people. And this was evident in his media appearances, and I truly believe he was ahead of his time. He was pushing the limits, had a clear plan, and had the old boys club panicking. Those 2009-2011 years were amazing to be a fan, lots of heartbreak but damn we were good.

Now with Jim, he has pushed every intelligent person away, and has a crooked proven failure as his AGM. He constantly makes himself look so unintelligent and unprepared in every media appearance he makes, because he has no plan, he makes mistake after mistake. And the most frustrating part is that this failure of a GM has an a mile long leash. The fans deserve so much better...

Why does he have this leash? It makes no sense. The worst part is that there seems to be no ending to it. He will just continue to be here. Until he is gone it's going to be hard to see real change and where smart moves will be made.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

8 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Comparing the ‘Nucks to the Leafs is a new low.

Lol, not sure were the Laffs comparisons are coming from but there seems to be alot of them today; I guess, if Deadmonton was on top of the North they would be the gold standard instead - these trolls are just not very creative...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Why does he have this leash? It makes no sense. The worst part is that there seems to be no ending to it. He will just continue to be here. Until he is gone it's going to be hard to see real change and where smart moves will be made.

Perhaps best to ask Aquaman cause he should know both Gillis & JB alot more than us.  Imo, Gillis benefitted alot from the previous regimes and JB got stuck fixing what Gillis left him.  Ofcourse, with hindsight JB could had done better and the same can be said  about Gillis - since both were first time GM's.

Preferably, I hope Aquaman hires a team president first, that is able to work with JB on signings, trades and etc, so JB can focus on what he does best: drafting & developement.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

53 minutes ago, b3. said:

The season ticket holders should be able to take 6 million slap shots at JB for that Eriksson contract.

I'm pretty sure we are the only team left with their mistake contract of 2016. (Lucic, Brouwer, Ladd etc).

Okposo 

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, b3. said:

Such sad and feels at times hopeless times . Like we are doomed for perpetual mediocrity.