The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 22, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

27 minutes ago, b3. said:

The one thing about Gillis, was that he was an intelligent man who surrounded himself with intelligent people. And this was evident in his media appearances, and I truly believe he was ahead of his time. He was pushing the limits, had a clear plan, and had the old boys club panicking. Those 2009-2011 years were amazing to be a fan, lots of heartbreak but damn we were good.

Now with Jim, he has pushed every intelligent person away, and has a crooked proven failure as his AGM. He constantly makes himself look so unintelligent and unprepared in every media appearance he makes, because he has no plan, he makes mistake after mistake. And the most frustrating part is that this failure of a GM has an a mile long leash. The fans deserve so much better...

Well said about Gillis.  In fact, that cohesiveness between Gillis, Gilman, and Henning is one of the biggest things we lack today with Benning and company.  It seems that every season, a member of the front office departs the team under "amicable" terms.  Gilman, Linden, Brackett, and there might yet be more to come.

I often wonder if this much turnover in such a short period of time deters qualified people from wanting to work with us.  It would certainly explain why Benning is still here, despite being one of our worst GMs in history.  It would also explain why Dean Lombardi (not somebody that I personally want but nevertheless, a winning resume) has apparently turned us down multiple times.

In any event, cleaning house is the bare minimum FA can do for this team.

Edited by Alain Vigneault
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

if horvat petey out for a few weeks how far do we plummet in standings  i say we fall to 7-8th worst    get rid of sutter edler pearson and benn play the kids   ask efler if he will resign after kraken draft    this yrs a write  off 

Quote Mr.Green- "It isn't about who's not in the lineup, it's about who is"..... 

Still amazes me year after year were so injury prone.

3 minutes ago, Cluminati* said:

I’ll still be cheering them on regardless of what happens in the next couple of weeks. And I will not compare them to anyone else.
They’re banged up, played the most games and still working hard to put on a show for us during these Covid times.

Show some support...Go Canucks Go!!

if i was in the stands, i'd be starting waves and chants. but we cant do that, and the likelihood we make the playoffs with 40% of our lineup injured is 0% even if we were 100% healthy it would be next to impossible (by my estimation we would need 30 points and need montreal/winnepeg to play 500 hockey or edmonton sub 500 hockey) . so lets hope benning is reasonable and tries to pickup a couple picks to restock the cupboards.

38 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Yeah, it's quite unfortunate to see how much we've fallen for the sake of being seen as a "stable" organization around the league.  I was a big fan of Gillis during his time here and rightfully so - he brought us the most success we've seen in this team's history.  But in spite of this, I was ecstatic the day he was fired because it signified we were an organization that was willing to make changes and not accept mediocrity.  Whether his separation was coming or not due to off ice factors, it was hardly irrelevant.  A poor performance was met with consequences and the team was accountable for their poor season.  The same with Nonis.  4 seasons as GM, albeit one a lockout, but two missed playoffs and he was gone.

These days, us fans have to accept a conveyor belt of excuses for why things are the way they are.  And not just from ownership and management, but other fans which is even more bizarre.  It's so frustrating when the "positives" this management brings are always the lowest hanging of fruits.  It's funny you bring up Edmonton and Chiarelli.  Could you imagine if Oilers fans defended Chiarelli's drafting of McDavid (BPA) in the same way some here defend picking Hughes and Pettersson (also BPAs)?  Or if they defended the Lucic signing and Eberle trade tree with a "hindsight is 20/20" like many do here with Benning's moves?  

Sometimes, I think the fans here know deep down that Benning is a major problem for this team but they're so disappointed, dejected, and hopeless from all the negativity and league-wide laughter that have stemmed from his moves as GM that they have chosen to act like anti-Benning and non supporters of his management are the problem instead.  For the sake of this fanbase, I hope that ruthless side of FA comes out and he cleans house at the end of the season.

This is where “Fire Travis Green” comes from. You’ll notice that most people who love Benning unconditionally absolutely hate Travis Green. Then there are some at an even higher tier that like Travis Green cause Benning does, then pass the blame to Brown and Baumer. 

Travis Green isn’t the problem. If he was, we aren’t deep enough to even tell. For example: Let’s say Benn throws a muffin across the Dzone to clear it out and the pass gets picked off and ends up in the net. You’ll see comments like “that’s Baumer’s defence” 

No

That’s not Baumer’s defence that’s Jim Benning’s defence. How is coaching in any way responsible for a play like that? 

Another beauty is “ all we do is dump and chase” Green is an idiot. 

No

We don’t have the players who can enter the zone and cycle the puck. EP does it with his line mates you’ll see it in the fully healthy top 6 but the rest of the team simply doesn’t have the talent or creativity to play a puck possession style. We dump and chase cause that’s all guys like Virtanen and Sutter can handle. They’re straight line players. 

We suck on the power play. Shoooot. Well, we are missing the most fundamental piece of a power play. We have no point shot. Why would a PK spread out to cover the point when they can just box in the middle and cover all the lanes?

We have no identity. Even with drafting, what is Benning trying to draft here? What brand are we building? The only thing I ever hear him say is he is building a fast team. Ok, so he is building a fast team but we are going to cry about Travis green playing a dump and chase style? Honestly, the chemistry, the style, the brand is all messed up. It’s a mess. We have players that just don’t complement each other. It’s like Travis Green is the the father of all these kids he is trying to pre arrange marriages for and none of them really fit or have any chemistry together. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Thing is, which contenders are looking for a Sutter, Pearson, Benn, or Roussel? Those guys are downgrades on any top ten team right now. 

They dont have value.. at those cap hits? No way... 

Better players at lower cap hits will be available...

35 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

if horvat petey out for a few weeks how far do we plummet in standings  i say we fall to 7-8th worst    get rid of sutter edler pearson and benn play the kids   ask efler if he will resign after kraken draft    this yrs a write  off 

this does fell like the game when the air was let out of the balloon

the team looked tired last game, but after Bo got hurt, no one looked like they wanted to play any more