The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 22, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I’ve always felt that Benning will be to the next GM what Nonis was to Gillis. It was really Nonis/Burke that built the bones of the 2010-11 team, Gillis just polished it all off. I think that’s what we’ll see here with this current group. 

I agree. Benning's drafting has been excellent. He's been able to build up pieces of what should be a good team in the near future.

But from what I've seen, I don't think he'll be able to put the pieces together and build a winner.

Finally a pretty decent game by the Canucks. Crossbars and posts can do you in. I thought they were breaking out most of the time, well. Scrambly at times in the d-zone but markedly better than the road trip. Demko mostly screened on the ones that found the net. I prefer more TOI to the 3rd and 4th lines. Again there is not enough upside to have Hughes playing 2 minute shifts. I don't care if it pays off now and then. Long term it will cause a problem on this team. The fact that he is doing so tells me this is not a serious playoff team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

The play was on going Bree the ref didn’t blow the whistle

the play had stopped and Horvat was hobbling off the ice, they were setting up for face off , the jets had enough time to help Horvat!

6 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Sorry if it came off that way.  Just trying to save you the anxiety of attaching assumptions to people's posts.   Every poster has a different bag of $&!# they carry around and different expectations for their life and this team.  Impossible for anyone to know the reasons for why someone posts what they do.  

No problems. I enjoy reading the

many comments here, but sometimes it gets a bit over the top. I don’t really feel any anxiety about it though ;)

Cheers

5 minutes ago, bree2 said:

ok, thanks , for some reason, i thought the play had stopped, sorry to all who tried to tell me. but it was not great of the trainer watching Bo fall in the hallway, why didn't he help?

I think he went down to crawl to keep the weight off his leg

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

No problems. I enjoy reading the

many comments here, but sometimes it gets a bit over the top. I don’t really feel any anxiety about it though ;)

Cheers

I have been very guilty of negative posting, though I think of it as "critical thinking".  Others may not see it that way and I often envy  those who tend to see things in a more positive light. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

That conference final was their peak though. Their defence is a shadow of the 2018 team. I would be surprised if the current Jets ever make it past the 2nd round.

That wasn't entirely under his control though. Trouba demanded out, and Byfuglien had an injury that led to his falling out with the team, and the NHL in general. Had he known the latter, he could have addressed it in free agency.

Time has proven he did pretty well in the Trouba trade. Pionk has been solid, and Heinola looks promising.

12 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Spot on.  At the end of the day, Green can only work with what he's given and that falls on the GM.

At most, Green can put players into positions to succeed but he can't make them any better than their talent permits of them.  The same goes for other coaches.  Of course, some coaches are better than others at this but our issues are hardly based on around deployment.

I'm fairly indifferent to Green staying or going (apparently, that makes me a "massive Green supporter" according to some here) but sacking him/Baumgartner/Brown, especially this late in the season, is futile.  No coach is taking 5 good forwards & 4 NHL-level defencemen and making the playoffs.  It's a miracle we are around or at 0.500% with this team after how badly it got gutted over the off-season.

AV that's a good post.   

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL Edler is so valuable to the team. I was joking about injuring McDavid but I think Edler is still a solid top 4 and I would take him back next year in a heartbeat

Well to be perfectly honest, if we can re-sign him on one year deals at 3M I'd have to think about it but we all know that once we're back to 82 games he'll NEVER make it thru a whole season uninjured.  He's also getting very slow, still regularly makes dumb plays like last nights first goal and is at the end of his shelf life.   No matter, he should still be sold as a rental player before TD if we can get something for him.   

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL Edler is so valuable to the team. I was joking about injuring McDavid but I think Edler is still a solid top 4 and I would take him back next year in a heartbeat

Edler is valuable at what ? 
-screening our own goalie games in games out ? 

-making bads pinching? 

-keep shooting on shinpads?

-getting outraced by wingers ?

-mishandling the puck at the blue line ? 

He throwed here and there some hits if the opposite guy runs into him. That's it.
Right now Hamonic, Myers and Schmidt are ours go-to-guys in def, while Hugues is a free electron who does his wonderfull stuff in Ozone, but complely lost in the D part. Edler didn't enter the top 4.

At the end of the year, the corrects moves are to let Edler and Benn fly, and free up space for Tryamkin, Juolevi and Rathbone ; with the Hamonic's extension. 

• Haha 2