The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks claim Travis Boyd off waivers

2 hours ago, mll said:

Or trying to see if they could be options for next season.  Canucks will probably need a few cheap contracts and prospects might not all be ready.  

yup, its a nice preview of potential role players for next year. If they work out and can be extended at their current deals that would be ideal. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Nothing is for free my friend..

Maybe Leafs will take our depth and screw us in a cpl years when we hoping for a deep playoff run.. 

Until then we laugh at them.

Leafs mgmt must be choked right now..  

hey if we're that deep, sweet. 

Now if Vesey and Boyd combine on a couple of game winning goals, maybe Dubie will want revenge 

16 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Yeah as much as dislike the leaf nation we don’t want to be douche canoes I’m happy that all teams allowed the vet have his last dance.

Obviously..  

No team would do something dumb like that.. Just something to laugh about after we took 2 of their depth players while they're trying to get ready for hopefully a deep run..

I've spent a lot of time in Toronto. I cheer for the Leafs as well as all Canadian teams.

I'd love to see a Canadian team win the Cup this year. 

Jets and Leafs both have a chance. Jets are looking good right now too. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Obviously..  

No team would do something dumb like that.. Just something to laugh about after we took 2 of their depth players while they're trying to get ready for hopefully a deep run..

I've spent a lot of time in Toronto. I cheer for the Leafs as well as all Canadian teams.

I'd love to see a Canadian team win the Cup this year. 

Jets and Leafs both have a chance. Jets are looking good right now too. 

I was once a fan of all Canadian teams but social media caused me to dislike a few of our teams mostly the haters from their fan base.

29 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I doubt that, they are clearing cap space however they can now to have every penny more available to them come the TDL

No

Im a big Capitals and OV fan. Watch a lot of Caps hockey. I've watched a lot of Boyd of over the last 3 seasons.. 

They would much rather have Boyd as a solid depth player rather than save 150k cap space.  

They're choked he didn't clear. A solid 4th liner depth guy at 700k.

Played with the Caps and won a Cup in 17/18.. his rookie year.. 

He only played 1 playoff game on the Caps Cup run but also played with them the following 2 seasons. .. He's been around a winning team and winning culture.

He's a much better player since then, he would definetely help the Leafs..

Good piece for a team hoping to go deep. 

No team trying to make a deep run wants to lose Vesey and Boyd at 900k and 700k respectively, both on expiring contracts. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I was once a fan of all Canadian teams but social media caused me to dislike a few of our teams mostly the haters from their fan base.

Ya I dont pay attention to those people. We have our fare share in our fan base. 

Edited by WHL rocks

4 hours ago, apollo said:

Im thinking and hoping its precursor to someone being shipped out to open cap? maybe one of Rous or Beagle? Jim would look like a genuis if he pulls that off and uses Boyd at 700k cap hit instead...

Then maybe people will stop calling the whambulance over his cap management :P

Yeah, haters will hate no matter what JB does.   Lol - whambulance !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

My thoughts exactly..

perhaps make a move for the D man Eklohm in Nashville?

That would really tick off Leaf fans if we got Ekholm. Fans are pushing hard on their boards thinking they’re likely to get him.

So that’s two good reasons...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

The ask starts with a 1st round pick.  Doesn’t feel like a likely move.

I feel like they'd want OJ or Rathebone back vs this years 1st since the draft is a weird one, not really keen on that. I think we can get Edler back on a cheaper 1 year deal too. 

28 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya I dont pay attention to those people. We have our fare share in our fan base. 

I won’t deny that we have some idiots but I’ve gone back n forth with a few that I tried to set straight they barely knew much about our team which leaves me to believe that they’re pretending to be Canuck fans just to get more Canuck haters onboard.

54 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

what are you on about now? we 100% wouldnt have claimed these players without injuries. where is the 

The tweet was pointless.

We have three injuries. Neither of them are the reason we’re forced to claim waiver players.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Lol nah.  I just don't see a reason to hate the Leafs or take shots at them.  Then again, I'm not from BC (though I'd love to visit one day) and maybe I don't quite get the hate.  Do 4PM starts on a weekend really irk a whole province?  Kinda lame if you ask me but to each their own.

In any event, Shanahan started the same time as Linden/Benning.  In that time, more playoff appearances than us, about the same (if not slightly better or worse) drafting, and a lot of positive moves during that time.  Most of the blunders (made by Lou Lamoriello) were dealt with quickly by Dubas and many of the moves Dubas has made are ones that we should try to emulate (locking up his core, free-agent signings, trades), IMO.

Right now, all we have to show far is one playoff round win more than the Leafs have in a similar time frame.  That's impressive but hardly a reason to turn our noses up at them and some of the good things they've done that we should also try to do.

You (perhaps) conveniently forgot that the Laffs drafted Marner (4th) and Matthews (1st) during your timeline whereas JB has never drafted higher than fifth but I get it - you don’t like JB or just trolling cause all you do is nitpick his mistakes and non of what he has done well which is draft: Ep, QH, Demko and etc.   

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I feel like they'd want OJ or Rathebone back vs this years 1st since the draft is a weird one, not really keen on that. I think we can get Edler back on a cheaper 1 year deal too. 

A 1st + Rathbone/OJ +  a roster player would be the ask.. 

Not getting Ekholm for OJ.

We won't be making any trades like that anyways. Those types of trades are for teams making a run at the Cup. 

19 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

A 1st + Rathbone/OJ +  a roster player would be the ask.. 

Not getting Ekholm for OJ.

We won't be making any trades like that anyways. Those types of trades are for teams making a run at the Cup. 

In this COVID era, trading assets for expensive aging talent is no longer a good move - imo; JB should just stay with drafting & development cause there is already a succession plan with his prospects coming in to replace his expensive mistakes (hindsight).

Plus, all/most of his Big ticket signing (so far) has mostly been expensive mistakes, perhaps a sign for him to stick with drafting & development but all the pundits and etc.. calling for moves would have nothing to talk about and then complain about when the move(s) don’t work out - hard please unhappy people or in most cases, impossible if someone is just trolling.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1