The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks claim Travis Boyd off waivers

18 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I expect the Canucks to sell a couple of pieces at the deadline.

I won't be shocked if some combo of Virtanen, Sutter, and Pearson is shipped out for picks and prospects. I expect the Canucks to be low key sellers... they won't sell huge pieces (obviously) but they'll probably listen to all offers to sell.

Canucks need cheaper depth and Boyd fits that bill to a tee.

I agree. At least I hope that it would go this way. While of course anything could happen if we make the playoffs. I think next year is more realistic and we could definitely do some damage (in a good way) next season. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I keep seeing mention of this pickup in relation to Sutter and Beagle. Don't think it has anything to do with them personally. Both Boyd and Vesey are wingers in the NHL.

Only way we potentially move Sutter is if Beagle is back before the TDL. We need at least ONE, matchup centre in lineup.

We also have current winger injuries and guys we could potentially be looking at moving out (Pearson, Virtanen, Gaudette, Roussel). Picking up these waiver guys had more to do with those two things than Beagle or Sutter IMO.

Yeah he's just cheap filler (Boyd).  If he sticks, that's a bonus but it's only a temporary solution.  Zero risk move by Benning. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I keep seeing mention of this pickup in relation to Sutter and Beagle. Don't think it has anything to do with them personally. Both Boyd and Vesey are wingers in the NHL.

Only way we potentially move Sutter is if Beagle is back before the TDL. We need at least ONE, matchup centre in lineup.

We also have current winger injuries and guys we could potentially be looking at moving out (Pearson, Virtanen, Gaudette, Roussel). Picking up these waiver guys had more to do with those two things than Beagle or Sutter IMO.

Yup this is free winger depth for now due to injuries and maybe roster spots if we see Jake or AG moved next week. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Even if it does start with a first round pick,

I go in on Ekholm and his proof of play vs something unknown or unproven .

This team is at a step where we can skip a beat at the draft..  and tighten up a depth in its D core .  It’s needed.

Benning says their timeline to truly contend is in 2 years.  Ekholm is a UFA after next season and turns 31 in May.  Nashville willing to move him because he’s going to be worth quite a bit on the open market.  Canucks will still have Myers and Schmidt at 6M + Hughes.  Doesn’t feel like a D they should target given age and possible contract demands.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yup this is free winger depth for now due to injuries and maybe roster spots if we see Jake or AG moved next week. 

Or trying to see if they could be options for next season.  Canucks will probably need a few cheap contracts and prospects might not all be ready.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Vesey Gaudette Virtanen

Boyd Hawryluk Motte

much better than

Gaudette Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Motte 

Defensively, no. And brutal face offs. Can't say i agree with you, i guess we will see if coaching staff feels the same as you.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Defensively, no. And brutal face offs. Can't say i agree with you, i guess we will see if coaching staff feels the same as you.

Lol what. You think Roussel and Beagle provide more value than Boyd and Hawryluk? Guess we'll agree to disagree. Roussel brings 0 value besides taking bad penalties at the wrong time.

The only downgrade will be Sutter but gotta take the assets for him. 

• RoughGame 1

36 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I like this approach, perhaps it’s solidifying a 4th line or better for next season in the process of moving someone on who needs a crease start, or rings something needed to this club in another move.

Boyd wouldn’t look bad with Vesey and Motte,

he is a thinker, creates time and space..

heads up player.

Boyd looks real good. Looks like he’s good at parking himself in front of the net as well. That’s always a good thing.

He looks like he’s got skill and a bit of an energized bunny...

This could be real good.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Lol what. You think Roussel and Beagle provide more value than Boyd and Hawryluk? Guess we'll agree to disagree. Roussel brings 0 value besides taking bad penalties at the wrong time.

The only downgrade will be Sutter but gotta take the assets for him. 

lol, sorry i should have been more clear, Both Sutter and Beagle gone from the bottom 6, PK, and face offs? hmmmmmmmm. For the teams sake next year lets hope we find NHL caliber replacements for those 2 if you get your wish.

I Have no info on either Boyd or Hawryluk playing center? do you?

More value? if being much less expensive means more value than you are correct. More valuable to me is who the Coaching staff has on the ice to win games.

I have no problem what so ever with Roussel let go or traded.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, mll said:

Benning says their timeline to truly contend is in 2 years.  Ekholm is a UFA after next season and turns 31 in May.  Nashville willing to move him because he’s going to be worth quite a bit on the open market.  Canucks will still have Myers and Schmidt at 6M + Hughes.  Doesn’t feel like a D they should target given age and possible contract demands.  

So we “phase” out another D man in a year or 2,.  Or move Ekholm again.

It helps to make us stronger in the”present”.

I don’t see any harm in 2 years of strength in creating the “present”..   or worrying about 2 years from now from a position of that same strength.

This is a way of supporting  rotation of good players by way of attrition ,. 
something this team has historically failed to do by hanging on to players too long,

or signing contracts that prohibit that flexibility.

just my point of veiw Mil,

always appreciate your perspective.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

So we “phase” out another D man in a year or 2,.  Or move Ekholm again.

It helps to make us stronger in the”present”.

I don’t see any harm in 2 years of strength in creating the “present”..   or worrying about 2 years from now from a position of that same strength.

This is a way of supporting  rotation of good players by way of attrition ,. 
something this team has historically failed to do by hanging on to players too long,

or signing contracts that prohibit that flexibility.

just my point of veiw Mil,

always appreciate your perspective.

“Hanging on to players too long”

This is key right there.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm thinking the fact he's a righty will be the difference. With Beagle out and a possible Sutter move we need a righty. Any records of his faceoff percentage?