The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Buffalo Blockbuster

I would have said no to this deal a year ago but with Rathbone in the pipeline I wouldn't have a problem switching Hughes for Dahlin.  He's Swedish and would fit right in with the rest of the boys and he's a big body who is better defensively than Hughes.  If that deal were on the table I'd definitely think about it.  I mean Dahlin is a #1 overall pick and a great talent.  It's not like we are trading Hughes for Pouliot.  Hughes has disappointed me in terms of his defensive play.  Coming out of college he seemed to be more physical.  Without Tanev this year his defensive flaws are more apparent.  Dahlin may not be as dynamic as Hughes but he wouldn't need to be sheltered defensively either.

Tough call.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would have said no to this deal a year ago but with Rathbone in the pipeline I wouldn't have a problem switching Hughes for Dahlin.  He's Swedish and would fit right in with the rest of the boys and he's a big body who is better defensively than Hughes.  If that deal were on the table I'd definitely think about it.  I mean Dahlin is a #1 overall pick and a great talent.  It's not like we are trading Hughes for Pouliot.  Hughes has disappointed me in terms of his defensive play.  Coming out of college he seemed to be more physical.  Without Tanev this year his defensive flaws are more apparent.  Dahlin may not be as dynamic as Hughes but he wouldn't need to be sheltered defensively either.

Tough call.  

Well, Dahlin is a minus 28 right now........11 points

Hughes is a minus 14..........28 points

Is it the player, is it the team, or a little of both?

So do you feel like shaking the dice there big boy? Do ya?

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, Dahlin is a minus 28 right now........11 points

Hughes is a minus 14..........28 points

Is it the player, is it the team, or a little of both?

So do you feel like shaking the dice there big boy? Do ya?

You think Dahlin is that bad?  I think his team sucks and he has no support.  Dahlin is a superstar. And he’s actually younger than Hughes. 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You think Dahlin is that bad?  I think his team sucks and he has no support.  Dahlin is a superstar. And he’s actually younger than Hughes. 

No, I do not think he is that bad, in any way

But!

If we are trading Hughes, you had better get equal back, or you will suffer from the "Neely" syndrome........for ever, and ever and ever, and ever, and...............ever!

Let alone throwing in Gaudette

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

No, I do not think he is that bad, in any way

But!

If we are trading Hughes, you had better get equal back, or you will suffer from the "Neely" syndrome........for ever, and ever and ever, and ever, and...............ever!

Let alone throwing in Gaudette

Dahlin is not Hughes’s equal?  Really?  He’s a future Norris trophy winner.  Take your Canuck blinders off.  Dahlin is a superstar.  He’s not Barry Pederson!!!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I don't think many of you realize what kind of defenceman Dahlin is.  He will be a Norris winner without a doubt.  He can play in all situations... Hughes is dynamic, but he's a one dimensional defenceman without size.

If I'm going to war in the playoffs, I want Dahlin.

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dahlin is not Hughes’s equal?  Really?  He’s a future Norris trophy winner.  Take your Canuck blinders off.  Dahlin is a superstar.  He’s not Barry Pederson!!!

Noooooo, Dahlin is not a super star yet. There is no proof he will ever be one, other than his pedigree

Yes, number 1 OA is a great start, but so was Patrik Stefen, Rick DiPietro, Alexander Daigle,  and Nail Yukupov

and that is just the complete failures, not the guys that just became solid NHLers, but not stars.

I mean, sure he is an NHL player, and yes he is younger than Hughes, but does he get to the top of the heap?

I don't know about that............It is sort of like saying Hughes will learn Defense......will he?

Neither is any better than what they are now...............I am a show me guy!

Personally..........Dahlin has a chance to be a Hedman clone...............but he isn't there by a long shot, yet!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, HKSR said:

I don't think many of you realize what kind of defenceman Dahlin is.  He will be a Norris winner without a doubt.  He can play in all situations... Hughes is dynamic, but he's a one dimensional defenceman without size.

If I'm going to war in the playoffs, I want Dahlin.

Dahlin is obviously going to be the more complete defenceman, Hughes I imagine is always going to be a target, because of his size, and may have a shortened career because of it.

I'm not that high on Hughes, Because i'm in the belief that strong 2 way play is the key to success. I mean look at Vegas, every one of thier players plays great 2 way play, despite not having any true superstars and they are one of the top teams in the league.

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Noooooo, Dahlin is not a super star yet. There is no proof he will ever be one, other than his pedigree

Yes, number 1 OA is a great start, but so was Patrik Stefen, Rick DiPietro, Alexander Daigle,  and Nail Yukupov

and that is just the complete failures, not the guys that just became solid NHLers, but not stars.

I mean, sure he is an NHL player, and yes he is younger than Hughes, but does he get to the top of the heap?

I don't know about that............It is sort of like saying Hughes will learn Defense......will he?

Neither is any better than what they are now...............I am a show me guy!

Personally..........Dahlin has a chance to be a Hedman clone...............but he isn't there by a long shot, yet!

That’s the whole point.  He could be Hedman 2.0. You wouldn’t trade Hughes for Victor Hedman?

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s the whole point.  He could be Hedman 2.0. You wouldn’t trade Hughes for Victor Hedman?

1st off..........Dahlin has not reached that level and may never reach Hedman level

You are talking about a projected level not an obtained level.............big difference

AAAAAnd, all I am saying is you had better be sure you are right before making that trade.............

Who is better at this moment?..............no contest...........Hughes is................who is going to be? I have not the foggiest

And yes, I would trade Hughes down the road, but I want to see what Rathbone is before doing it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1