The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Buffalo Blockbuster

Hell no! the Oilers thought the same thing when they traded Hall for Adam Larsson.    Yes, it's still really early to call if Dahlin will be a Larsson or Hedman, it's probably a 50/50.  But still risk is too great between Stud and Dud, for the reward, that I would have to pass.  

We know what we got in Hughes, jury still out on Dahlin.   

I'm also saying this while I was a huge Dahlin fan early on and always wondered about the defensive limitation on Hughes and I still wouldn't do that trade now.

• Like 1

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

1st off..........Dahlin has not reached that level and may never reach Hedman level

You are talking about a projected level not an obtained level.............big difference

AAAAAnd, all I am saying is you had better be sure you are right before making that trade.............

Who is better at this moment?..............no contest...........Hughes is................who is going to be? I have not the foggiest

And yes, I would trade Hughes down the road, but I want to see what Rathbone is before doing it

I agree about Rathbone.  If he’s the real deal then it’s a no brainer really...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Trading Hughes is “buying low”...?

/thread

Dahlin will be a #1defenceman both ends of the ice but paying Hughes isn't buying low.

Pay Podkolzin + 2022 1st + Gaudette? That might be considered buying low of a potential franchise player. 

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Saw this article:

https://thehockeywriters.com/kings-blockbuster-defense-trade-options-2020-21/

Therefore...

To Vancouver:

Dahlin

To Buffalo:

Hughes

Gaudette

Dahlin is struggling big time... Buy low.

If Buffalo wants Hughes, they are sending us Dahlin and a 1st to even start the discussion.

Right now, Hughes is pretty far ahead of Dahlin in every state of the game.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Why would you trade the most exciting D-man we've ever had? 

This goes back to the Ehrhoff thing.

No one questions his power play and offensive talent.

The question was, was he a great defender? 

I always felt he was a throwback player, more like a Rover than a defenceman. 

Personally I think Huggybear is a better defenceman than Ehrhoff. 

He's just struggling because teams now look to neutralize him, because they now how much of a threat he is. 

He's only 21. He's going to fill out a little bit more, and be stronger. Which is going to make him more dangerous and effective. 

Dahlin is worth the #1 pick he was chosen at. Buffalo is a complete mess. His +/- reflects that. 

I don't think any team would say no to either player. Bottom line if Hughes had Dahlin's frame he'd be taken at 1st overall. 

If there's a problem with Hughes, I think he tries too much, tries to force plays. That's how much of a competitor he is. 

With experience he's going to just get better. 

Both players project differently. It's more of a question of where's the ceiling for both of them? 

No one imagined the Sedin's to be the top forwards in the league. We hoped for that. And was pleasantly surprised. 

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Noooooo, Dahlin is not a super star yet. There is no proof he will ever be one, other than his pedigree

Yes, number 1 OA is a great start, but so was Patrik Stefen, Rick DiPietro, Alexander Daigle,  and Nail Yukupov

and that is just the complete failures, not the guys that just became solid NHLers, but not stars.

I mean, sure he is an NHL player, and yes he is younger than Hughes, but does he get to the top of the heap?

I don't know about that............It is sort of like saying Hughes will learn Defense......will he?

Neither is any better than what they are now...............I am a show me guy!

Personally..........Dahlin has a chance to be a Hedman clone...............but he isn't there by a long shot, yet!

The reason why Dahlin was drafted higher is because theres a lesser likelyhood hes going to be a bust. Quinn can skate better, but smaller and has a muffin for a shot, but Dahlin has the size, the shot, puckhanding and can skate pretty good. Dahlin has the higher upside if he ever puts it together which he hasnt YET but right now, Quinn is the better player. Dahlin still can be a star in the league though, but its debatable if he's going to be better than Quinn Hughes. Keep in mind though, Hedman took awhile to get to where he is now, arguably a top 3 - top 5 dman so theres still hope. Dahlin was just more "can't miss" than Quinn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This goes back to the Ehrhoff thing.

No one questions his power play and offensive talent.

The question was, was he a great defender? 

I always felt he was a throwback player, more like a Rover than a defenceman. 

Personally I think Huggybear is a better defenceman than Ehrhoff

He's just struggling because teams now look to neutralize him, because they now how much of a threat he is. 

He's only 21. He's going to fill out a little bit more, and be stronger. Which is going to make him more dangerous and effective. 

Dahlin is worth the #1 pick he was chosen at. Buffalo is a complete mess. His +/- reflects that. 

I don't think any team would say no to either player. Bottom line if Hughes had Dahlin's frame he'd be taken at 1st overall. 

If there's a problem with Hughes, I think he tries too much, tries to force plays. That's how much of a competitor he is. 

With experience he's going to just get better. 

Both players project differently. It's more of a question of where's the ceiling for both of them? 

No one imagined the Sedin's to be the top forwards in the league. We hoped for that. And was pleasantly surprised. 

Agree to disagree but I don't think the Hughes we have RIGHT NOW is better than the Erhoff we had in 2011. In totality of their careers, Quinn will probably have the better career, but if you were to compare him to Erhoff in 2011, I'd take Erhoff. The Hoff became an absolute superstar here, just the right timing where he was in his peak and he landed on a team where it was just the right scheme. Erhoff was one of the main cogs of that 2011 team

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dahlin is not Hughes’s equal?  Really?  He’s a future Norris trophy winner.  Take your Canuck blinders off.  Dahlin is a superstar.  He’s not Barry Pederson!!!

Hughes is closer to winning a Norris trophy right now that Dahlin. If that trade happens this year Buffalo is throwing something in. Not us.  Hughes is one of top point producing D men in the league.  Why would you trade that away for someone that was supposed to be better.  I am sure the Oilers could tell you that not all first overall picks are the best in that draft class.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

Dahlin is obviously going to be the more complete defenceman, Hughes I imagine is always going to be a target, because of his size, and may have a shortened career because of it.

I'm not that high on Hughes, Because i'm in the belief that strong 2 way play is the key to success. I mean look at Vegas, every one of thier players plays great 2 way play, despite not having any true superstars and they are one of the top teams in the league.

Perhaps I am reading too much into what you said, but are saying you would prefer to have Scott Stevens as your Number 1 D as opposed to Paul Coffey? 

2 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Agree to disagree but I don't think the Hughes we have RIGHT NOW is better than the Erhoff we had in 2011. In totality of their careers, Quinn will probably have the better career, but if you were to compare him to Erhoff in 2011, I'd take Erhoff. The Hoff became an absolute superstar here, just the right timing where he was in his peak and he landed on a team where it was just the right scheme. Erhoff was one of the main cogs of that 2011 team

Ehrhoff was great here, but was also on a much better team with a much better supporting cast and he still scored less points than Hughes had in his rookie season.  Hughes is the better than Ehrhoff.  Hughes will be the best Cancuks D man to ever play for us.  Although the bar is not that high in Vancouver for defensemen. 

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s the whole point.  He could be Hedman 2.0. You wouldn’t trade Hughes for Victor Hedman?

And Jake Virtanten could be Cam Neely 2.0.  Who wouldn't want to trade for that?  Oh wait...

1 hour ago, Crimson said:

And Jake Virtanten could be Cam Neely 2.0.  Who wouldn't want to trade for that?  Oh wait...

Cam Neely was a legit light heavyweight fighter.  Jake right now would have trouble fighting Jenny Craig. And Neely put up 72 points at the age of 21.  Jake put up 20 points in a season at that age.  I don’t see the comparison.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

1st off..........Dahlin has not reached that level and may never reach Hedman level

You are talking about a projected level not an obtained level.............big difference

AAAAAnd, all I am saying is you had better be sure you are right before making that trade.............

Who is better at this moment?..............no contest...........Hughes is................who is going to be? I have not the foggiest

And yes, I would trade Hughes down the road, but I want to see what Rathbone is before doing it

the comp for Quinn is something closer to Karlsson, not Hedman imo.

I don't understand why Buffalo would do this deal tho. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stuman491 said:

Hughes is closer to winning a Norris trophy right now that Dahlin. If that trade happens this year Buffalo is throwing something in. Not us.  Hughes is one of top point producing D men in the league.  Why would you trade that away for someone that was supposed to be better.  I am sure the Oilers could tell you that not all first overall picks are the best in that draft class.

Hughes isn't winning any Norris Trophy until he learns how to play defense...

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Crimson said:

The only thing Virtanen has in common with Cam Neely is his jockstrap and the fact that both were born out in the Valley...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

If Buffalo agrees to a Hughes for Dahlin trade, J.B. should take the deal.

I think Hughes is the most exciting D the team has had, and likely the best offensive D the team has ever had, but I'd take Dahlin in a one for one.

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes isn't winning any Norris Trophy until he learns how to play defense...

Exactly... even with all those points, nobody is talking about him and the Norris.  There's a reason for that, and if you take you Canuck homer glasses off, you'll see why.  Heck, even just last night, big bad Nik Ehlers overpowered Hughes to drive the net...