Saw this article:

https://thehockeywriters.com/kings-blockbuster-defense-trade-options-2020-21/

Therefore...

To Vancouver:

Dahlin

To Buffalo:

Hughes

Gaudette

Dahlin is struggling big time... Buy low.

Id drive Hughes and Gaudette to the airport myself. 

Someone mentioned it below - this team needs more Swedes on it. 

13 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

If Buffalo wants Hughes, they are sending us Dahlin and a 1st to even start the discussion.

Right now, Hughes is pretty far ahead of Dahlin in every state of the game.

Your living in fantasy world.  No one with half a brain is trading Dahlin for Hughes straight up.  

8 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Your living in fantasy world.  No one with half a brain is trading Dahlin for Hughes straight up.  

At this point, everything points to Hughes being the best D out of that draft. Dahlin hasn't done much to prove that his draft position was justified.

You have to work based on actual performance, not just what a player was supposed to be.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

At this point, everything points to Hughes being the best D out of that draft. Dahlin hasn't done much to prove that his draft position was justified.

You have to work based on actual performance, not just what a player was supposed to be.

LEBOWSKI.jpg.f1084623ed0472d620840eec9c3d60e7.jpg

19 hours ago, HKSR said:

Saw this article:

https://thehockeywriters.com/kings-blockbuster-defense-trade-options-2020-21/

Therefore...

To Vancouver:

Dahlin

To Buffalo:

Hughes

Gaudette

Dahlin is struggling big time... Buy low.

I'm not sure how you get a Dahlin for Hughes trade out of that article.

The article concerns a perceived LA Kings weakness in a lack of a good young offensive defense man. Apparently LA is overloaded with good young center prospects.

They mention Vilardi and Byfield. Out of that article wouldn't it make more sense to extrapolate something there.

Somebody earlier mentioned how Hughes might be tradeable with Rathbone coming up.

On the other hand I wonder what Rathbone could get you from LA. You could get Madden back for sure but I wonder what else.

Could Rathbone and... get you Vilardi or Byfield?

Edited by John_Guest

9 hours ago, stuman491 said:

Perhaps I am reading too much into what you said, but are saying you would prefer to have Scott Stevens as your Number 1 D as opposed to Paul Coffey? 

without gretzky,kurri and lemieux,jagr yzerman,federov scott stevens was a +400 in his career compared to coffey's +300. but i didn't watch those players.

I would chose shea weber over erik Karlsson though. 

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

buffalo scored about 0.65 less goals than it's  competition over the past 2 seasons compared to vancouvers 0.08. 

also vancouvers goalies over the past two seasons is a tier above Buffalo's

that says more about quinn hughes -27 then Dahlin's-35 over those two seasons.

you can't just look at points alone 

It's a really interesting proposal. I'd like our team to have more size, especially on the blueline. Also would assume that any player on Buff would like to get outa' there. Such a bad squad, that performance/stats of all their youth must be unpredictably skewed.

Buff: Dahlin, Risto, Tage Thompson

Van: Hughes, Gaudette(or Jake), Nate Schmidt

We'd certainly get younger. The cap(AAV) pretty much is a wash. Only Schmidt could perhaps squelch this with his 10-t, NTC.

Sabs could promote this as an influx of USA talent.

New blueline:

Dahlin - Tryamkin

Juolevi - Ristolainen

Rathbone - Myers

Brisebois - Hamonic

^Lots of youth, size & mobility. Half of these guys, home-grown picks. Nice blend

I would keep Hughes.

We know what we have in Hughes. a phenomenal offensive Dman that could likely sit in the top 5 scoring Dmen over the next 10 years. 

He's a smart player and will continue to improve his Defensive game over the years. 

Dahlin has declined each year offensively and this year could due to the nightmare environment Buffalo players are under,  but he could also turn into a Tyler Myers type player and be a good D man but not Norris material.

Because the jury's out still on Dahlin, Hughes is more of a guaranty and proven product therefore why take the risk when Hughes could be winning Norris trophies for Buffalo

also Gauds added make this a pass IMO

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

buffalo scored about 0.65 less goals than it's  competition over the past 2 seasons compared to vancouvers 0.08. 

also vancouvers goalies over the past two seasons is a tier above Buffalo's

that says more about quinn hughes -27 then Dahlin's-35 over those two seasons.

you can't just look at points alone 

I'm not looking at points alone. Other than the start of the season, when I don't think they had Hughes with the best partner, he's generally pretty effective defensively. He's good at using body position and checks effectively, but he is definitely better with someone who plays like Tanev.

He's been a much more effective D since they paired him with Hamonic.

On 3/23/2021 at 11:01 PM, Petey_BOI said:

without gretzky,kurri and lemieux,jagr yzerman,federov scott stevens was a +400 in his career compared to coffey's +300. but i didn't watch those players.

I would chose shea weber over erik Karlsson though. 

Fair enough.  I just think that finding a top end point producing defenseman is tougher than finding a defensively responsible stay at home defenseman. If you have the chance to have a defenseman that has the ability to change the flow of a game on his own you keep him.  In their prime, Karlsson, Doughty and Subban all had the ability to take over and control a game. We have that in Hughes.  We would be dumb to trade that away when right now he is one of the top point producing defenseman in the league.  

• Cheers 2

On 3/23/2021 at 4:39 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes isn't winning any Norris Trophy until he learns how to play defense...

I never said he was winning a Norris Trophy.  I merely stated he would be higher in the voting than Dahlin.  It would be not be great asset management to trade away the better player right now for potential that may never be realized. 

5 hours ago, stuman491 said:

I never said he was winning a Norris Trophy.  I merely stated he would be higher in the voting than Dahlin.  It would be not be great asset management to trade away the better player right now for potential that may never be realized. 

Dahlin is a complete defencman. Victor Hedman light. I could see him winning multiple Norris trophies. He’s only 20 and playing on the worst team in the league. Wait until he’s 25. He will be unstoppable. 

Hughes is a phenom in the offensive zone but a huge liability in the defensive zone. Am I am a big Hughes fan. He really needs to work on his defensive game or else he runs the risk of being a very one dimensional defencman. 

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, stuman491 said:

Fair enough.  I just think that finding a top end point producing defenseman is tougher than finding a defensively responsible stay at home defenseman. If you have the chance to have a defenseman that has the ability to change the flow of a game on his own you keep him.  In their prime, Karlsson, Doughty and Subban all had the ability to take over and control a game. We have that in Hughes.  We would be dumb to trade that away when right now he is one of the top point producing defenseman in the league.  

Dahlin is no slouch, he has the third most offensive potential behind hughes and Makar, It took Hedman until he was 23 before he figured it out. zdeno chara was 27, it takes more time for a bigger player to develop.

Last season, only 30 games ago, there wouldn't even be a discussion abouth this trade. you would take Dahlin and run away laughing. But i think it's more or less his circumstaces of playing against excellent competition. The mass mutual east is the strongest division in the league and sports the 3 best defensive teams.

• Vintage 1

On 3/22/2021 at 10:37 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

You think Dahlin is that bad?  I think his team sucks and he has no support.  Dahlin is a superstar. And he’s actually younger than Hughes. 

Hmm.. Eichel,Hall, Reinhart, Skinner etc... he should have more points ... well all of them should 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stuman491 said:

Lol.   All those posters willing to give up the farm on the "next Lidstrom"...it's way too early to predict who's going to have the better career, and one day we might look back and think what if we did that trade...

• Like 1

I do that deal, but not sure Buffalo does.

My Buffalo blockbuster is:

Miller

Virtanen

for

Ristolainen

Buffalo’s 2021 1st unprotected

They get a linemate for Eichel, and ease their expansion protection issue on D.

They give up a player who has wanted out of there and been trade bait for a long time up until this year.  They also give up a potential 1st overall, but they need to be better now, not a couple years from now.  There is no consensus #1 this year so it may be easier to let go of than most years

Edited by Provost
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dahlin is a complete defencman. Victor Hedman light. I could see him winning multiple Norris trophies. He’s only 20 and playing on the worst team in the league. Wait until he’s 25. He will be unstoppable. 

Hughes is a phenom in the offensive zone but a huge liability in the defensive zone. Am I am a big Hughes fan. He really needs to work on his defensive game or else he runs the risk of being a very one dimensional defencman. 

Hughes is also playing on one of the worst teams in the league yet he is out producing Dahlin by a country mile.  I am not arguing that Hughes is a perfect defensemen. All I am saying is as it stands right now, Hughes is better than Dahlin.  If we make the trade Buffalo adds, not us.  Betting on potential could end up being a really bad decision for us.

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

Dahlin is no slouch, he has the third most offensive potential behind hughes and Makar, It took Hedman until he was 23 before he figured it out. zdeno chara was 27, it takes more time for a bigger player to develop.

Last season, only 30 games ago, there wouldn't even be a discussion abouth this trade. you would take Dahlin and run away laughing. But i think it's more or less his circumstaces of playing against excellent competition. The mass mutual east is the strongest division in the league and sports the 3 best defensive teams.

Offensive potential is not something you should trade actual offense for.  Yes Hedman and Chara took a few years to figure it out, but there are hundreds of examples of players who never did figure it out.  You have to look at it from both sides.  I agree that Dahlin has a bigger upside, however since he has failed to show it yet, Hughes is currently the better player and Buffalo should add if we are making that trade.  It's not like the players around Dahlin are terrible.  He just isn't making them better.  The Canucks are not a great team, yet Hughes manages (with the exception of the first 15 games this year) to have a positive impact on the Canucks. Hughes career Corsi, goals per 60, goals against per 60 are all better than Dahlin. Even if you take this year as an outlier because of competition, Hughes is still better.  

• Vintage 1