The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Leo Komarov

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd trade Roussel for Komarov, would even throw in a 5th round pick...

If we can swap money around that seems like a decent idea.  No way we should take him if there isn’t equal money going out.

Otherwise, not much point.

I still think Pearson would be a fit there so if we swapped Roussel and Pearson for Komarov and a decent pick/prospect I would do that deal.

We get Komarov’s PKing and utility as a guy who can play all three forward positions.  Not too shabby an idea to have a fellow Russian or two next year to transition Podkolzin and Tryamkin easier.  A bit of Russian mafia to go with the Swedish mafia.

Young players could certainly learn something from Komarov’s style of play.

I suspect the Islanders want to make deals to free up money for a run at Hall though, so may not want our type of deal.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Dude's making 3m and is signed through next season, pass. We've got enough cap navigating to do this offseason and he's 34 years old. 

I agree with this.

Love Komarov's hustle (still averaging over 2 hits per game, despite struggling this year), but the Canucks shouldn't take on his $ for next year, he's overpaid at this point.

• Cheers 1

Trading Roussel away for this guys is a good trade, IMO. Sure, Komarov is a few years older, but him and Roussel's contracts expire at the same time. There's no risk for either side really. It gives both players a chance to flourish elsewhere. No one's likely going to claim either, if put on waivers anyway, even though I did previously say "claim him" :lol::P

Roussel doesn't take faceoffs, but is still sandpaper for a team. Komarov can take faceoffs and can be put on the wing. I think it's a win-win for both sides.

Edited by Dazzle

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Trading Roussel away for this guys is a good trade, IMO. Sure, Komarov is a few years older, but him and Roussel's contracts expire at the same time. There's no risk for either side really. It gives both players a chance to flourish elsewhere. No one's likely going to claim either, if put on waivers anyway, even though I did previously say "claim him" :lol::P

Roussel doesn't take faceoffs, but is still sandpaper for a team. Komarov can take faceoffs and can be put on the wing. I think it's a win-win for both sides.

How does NYI benefit..? Wouldn't either team just rather have Komarov?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

How does NYI benefit..? Wouldn't either team just rather have Komarov?

Well, Komarov doesn't really have a spot on NYI's roster, obviously. He's also 34 years old at 3M. The cap hit wouldn't be very attractive to a team ordinarily. On the other hand, Roussel is 2-3 years younger, making the same amount. The lengths of their contracts are also identical, thus Roussel might be more serviceable.

It could be a trade that works out for both teams. Canucks need a centre who can take draws and kill penalties. NYI could use a physical winger who can kill the PK for their bottom 6. They're both really similar players, since they're both agitators. Both are pretty good skaters too. Meanwhile, the Canucks don't really have to care about the age of Komarov. If he's a bust, you can buy him out. It's a low risk trade for both teams.

Edited by Dazzle

17 hours ago, Provost said:

If we can swap money around that seems like a decent idea.  No way we should take him if there isn’t equal money going out.

Otherwise, not much point.

I still think Pearson would be a fit there so if we swapped Roussel and Pearson for Komarov and a decent pick/prospect I would do that deal.

We get Komarov’s PKing and utility as a guy who can play all three forward positions.  Not too shabby an idea to have a fellow Russian or two next year to transition Podkolzin and Tryamkin easier.  A bit of Russian mafia to go with the Swedish mafia.

Young players could certainly learn something from Komarov’s style of play.

I suspect the Islanders want to make deals to free up money for a run at Hall though, so may not want our type of deal.

Isn’t he a Finn ?

11 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Well, Komarov doesn't really have a spot on NYI's roster, obviously. He's also 34 years old at 3M. The cap hit wouldn't be very attractive to a team ordinarily. On the other hand, Roussel is 2-3 years younger, making the same amount. The lengths of their contracts are also identical, thus Roussel might be more serviceable.

It could be a trade that works out for both teams. Canucks need a centre who can take draws and kill penalties. NYI could use a physical winger who can kill the PK for their bottom 6. They're both really similar players, since they're both agitators. Both are pretty good skaters too. Meanwhile, the Canucks don't really have to care about the age of Komarov. If he's a bust, you can buy him out. It's a low risk trade for both teams.

Lol, I don't think the age difference is enough to make Roussel attractive. He's playing like he won't get another contract in the NHL, it's not like he's a developing player. Komarov has played wing lots in his career, moving him for someone who can't play center very well just gives them a less versatile player. I don't see why the NYI would care more about the age comparison than the Canucks, they're first in their division, if either team wants to go on a deep playoff run it's more realistic that NYI would, and Komarov is the better player of the two.