The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 24, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Other than the game getting away from them, I thought the depleted line up actually looked really good 5 on 5.  Lots of pace on all four lines, and most of the passes/break outs were really well executed.  I think the line up showed just how important it is to have a line up that can skate well.  Thought Vesey/Miller/Virtanen looked really good as well.

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Angry Goose said:

Other than the game getting away from them, I thought the depleted line up actually looked really good 5 on 5.  Lots of pace on all four lines, and most of the passes/break outs were really well executed.  I think the line up showed just how important it is to have a line up that can skate well.  Thought Vesey/Miller/Virtanen looked really good as well.

Yeah I like the size and speed of that line. From the initial eye test, it feels like they spent more time in the ozone than the opposing lines. 

I feel like one of them needs to be a better playmaker to start seeing more goals but so far so good. Hopefully they build chemistry. 

• Cheers 1

Also wanted to add Graovac looks pretty decent. Size and speed with some skill. 

I don't know why but I was not liking him in the lineup but he's shown he deserves a shot. Dunno why we have Rousel when guys like Graovac do the same job or better for less than half the price. 

Rousel is a no go for me. 

Peel's situation exposed a clear bias in games and we know that Rousel 

A) Gets called on weak penalties

B Doesn't draw a call when he should

C) Is at best a mediocre player

Not his fault entirely but that to me suggests he's a liability to the team . 

There should be a recourse for players to sue the NHL Becuase the way they are reffing him is implicitly going to affect his future earnings. 

• Cheers 1

In the great words of Botch. “We need an Army”. It’s not easy rebuilding in a Canadian market but the mistake that Jim has made is that we are not ready to compete. We needed to draft one more top 6 player and most likely another top pairing Dman and top 4 D. Problem is we just don’t have the horses. Jim now sees that we are two years away from competing but I don’t think it will be him that rides this ship. 

Bright spot is we have all of our draft pick capital for this draft but hopefully we still have the scouts and management that have helped bring in the Petterson’s, Hughes and Boesers. We have our picks to be thankful to finish this rebuild. We aren’t done, that should be clear. Let OJ and the kids like Lind have a shot to see some games. I want to see the future players of tomorrow for this team not the mistakes of the past that are killing our cap. That is all.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Really? If you use points percentage to account for games in hand, it looks like a pretty clear top 4 to me.

1 - Toronto - .656

2 - Winnipeg - .636

3 - Edmonton - .618

4 - Montreal - .597

————————————

5 - Calgary - .485

6 - Vancouver - .473

Points percentage assumes Montreal is able to keep winning at the pace they had been which will be a tall ask with how many games they need to play in a narrowing window of time. Especially without the services of Armia and Kotkaniemi.

Although I wouldn’t put it past the league to throw out competitive fairness and let armia and Kotkaniemi return to the lineup sooner after this delay than making them sit out as long as Benn and JT had to when the Canucks had to play games without them immediately. 

17 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

In the great words of Botch. “We need an Army”. It’s not easy rebuilding in a Canadian market but the mistake that Jim has made is that we are not ready to compete. We needed to draft one more top 6 player and most likely another top pairing Dman and top 4 D. Problem is we just don’t have the horses. Jim now sees that we are two years away from competing but I don’t think it will be him that rides this ship. 

My words not JBs, but when he talks about being a real threat in the playoffs I thinks he's referring more so about development time for the young core, not necessarily building more depth (which obviously always needs to happen though).

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, drdeath said:

Points percentage assumes Montreal is able to keep winning at the pace they had been which will be a tall ask with how many games they need to play in a narrowing window of time. Especially without the services of Armia and Kotkaniemi.

Although I wouldn’t put it past the league to throw out competitive fairness and let armia and Kotkaniemi return to the lineup sooner after this delay than making them sit out as long as Benn and JT had to when the Canucks had to play games without them immediately. 

If Montreal maintains 500 hockey we will have to go 14-5 or they crap the bed and go 10-15, we need to go 12-7 and then we still have Calgary to worry about

its possible but the odds are going to be tough to get r done man

4 hours ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Every time I see the Canucks get a Too many men penalty I think if this image...."Too much man" one of the best, always brings a smile to my face.

Its a shame the penalties today brought tears to my eyes!!!!

I think they updateed that to "Too much person" yeasterday

My take away from the game was not the 3 bars and posts they hit nor the fact that they were fairly competitive. What stays with me is the + 2 minute shift that all 5 players had in the 3rd. Got caught and it cost a goal. Extended shifts are becoming more common and spreading to more players than just Hughes and Miller. IMHO this is a cancer that can really hurt a team. It doesn’t appear that coaching has a serious problem with it. 

Hopefully JB can accept this losing season and start playing prospects and move some vets out by April 12th. Truly focus on 2 years out. Build a game plan that roles 4 lines the respect the roles of all the dressed players. Playing a 2nd year pro 25 minutes a night is not doing him any favours. What pressure do they want on him?

• Thanks 1

It's hard to win games in this league at any point. But with all the injuries this season is toast now. Hopefully we start selling some pieces now. I'm not even mad about the game, do we actually think Horvat is playing at even 75 % right now? The guy has heart but it would have been an even worse game if he wasn't in it. 

I haven't been a fan of Green for a while now. He's an OK coach, but I just don't think he has the chops to take us all the way. I understand he doesn't want to stomp on his team while they are down, but sometimes you gotta get mad. Show some effing passion...not just, eh, good team, good goalie, etc, etc. Show some damn fire.

This is the main reason I want him gone. And with Brind'Amour not signed in Carolina, I wonder if we could convince him to come home and try to get our young club to the next level. He loves BC, and brought the cup home to Campbell River when he won it in Carolina, and also calls BC his home. I just feel he will be a better fit for our young team. I mean look at what he's done with those young kids in Carolina! I honestly don't see him leaving considering how well he's done there, but I find it interesting he's still not signed. Pipe dream pretty much, but he's a coach i'd love for this team. Him or Gallant i'd be happy with.

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My take away from the game was not the 3 bars and posts they hit nor the fact that they were fairly competitive. What stays with me is the + 2 minute shift that all 5 players had in the 3rd. Got caught and it cost a goal. Extended shifts are becoming more common and spreading to more players than just Hughes and Miller. IMHO this is a cancer that can really hurt a team. It doesn’t appear that coaching has a serious problem with it. 

Hopefully JB can accept this losing season and start playing prospects and move some vets out by April 12th. Truly focus on 2 years out. Build a game plan that roles 4 lines the respect the roles of all the dressed players. Playing a 2nd year pro 25 minutes a night is not doing him any favours. What pressure do they want on him?

Game day roster and deployment are on the coaches not JB.

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

It's hard to win games in this league at any point. But with all the injuries this season is toast now. Hopefully we start selling some pieces now. I'm not even mad about the game, do we actually think Horvat is playing at even 75 % right now? The guy has heart but it would have been an even worse game if he wasn't in it. 

I haven't been a fan of Green for a while now. He's an OK coach, but I just don't think he has the chops to take us all the way. I understand he doesn't want to stomp on his team while they are down, but sometimes you gotta get mad. Show some effing passion...not just, eh, good team, good goalie, etc, etc. Show some damn fire.

This is the main reason I want him gone. And with Brind'Amour not signed in Carolina, I wonder if we could convince him to come home and try to get our young club to the next level. He loves BC, and brought the cup home to Campbell River when he won it in Carolina, and also calls BC his home. I just feel he will be a better fit for our young team. I mean look at what he's done with those young kids in Carolina! I honestly don't see him leaving considering how well he's done there, but I find it interesting he's still not signed. Pipe dream pretty much, but he's a coach i'd love for this team. Him or Gallant i'd be happy with.

Imo, Gallants main strategy is to keep rolling four lines despite of the talent in his roster, which prevents gaffes from the high minute eaters and low minute plugs; playing four lines just leads to a more engaged line up.

• Cheers 1

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, Gallants main strategy is to keep rolling four lines despite of the talent in his roster, which prevents gaffes from the high minute eaters and low minute plugs; playing four lines just leads to a more engaged line up.

Good point, Greens hesitation to play our 4th line causes our top 3 lines to get gassed every night it seems. 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

"Play the kids if you like receiving paychecks".

Yeah The staff had been playing a vet line up (mainly in the d core) for awhile now and it is mainly been Demkos’ performance that had been getting the win, I wonder if anyone from that group sits for an unproven rookie ??

Edited by ShawnAntoski

19 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Bright spot is we have all of our draft pick capital for this draft but hopefully we still have the scouts and management that have helped bring in the Peterson’s, Hughes and Boesers. We have our picks to be thankful to finish this rebuild. We aren’t done, that should be clear. Let OJ and the kids like Lind have a shot to see some games. I want to see the future players of tomorrow for this team not the mistakes of the past that are killing our cap. That is all.

This draft is kinda scary. I think we are going to see some big time busts in the first round, and some huge surprises in the later rounds. Even from the casual fan perspective. It’s really hard to take in how talented a player is until you see them live. We have 2 major holes to fill that can only be filled through the draft. #1 hole on this team is a 1st pairing, hard, right shot d-man. There are like a handful of those guys in the entire league. We won’t acquire that kind of talent. We need to draft it. Most D men don’t become game managing playoff studs until they’re 25. If we haven’t even drafted that guy yet. We are a very long way from being complete in the back end.  The second hole is another premium centre. A guy that can play wing or centre or even a guy so good that he pushed Horvat into a top notch 2bC or 3C. The teams who are deep in the middle win Stanley cups, that’s even more apparent then having a deep D-core. Just those 2 pieces send us back more than 2 years. Sorry Jim but your timeline is still too ambitious.