The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 24, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

8 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

One thing you have to be aware of when using the X player has played X NHL games is adjusting for the strength of the team. 

As an example, Gaudette and Virtanen probably have extremely careers had they been drafted to a powerhouse team and probably don’t amass similar games played totals. 

This has been one of the worst teams in the league since 2015 - so bad players have played more than they would on a good team. 

But yes, Montreals drafting has been poor.

This is true and you make some good points. On a very good team Gaudette may have not even made the team. Or would be in and out of the lineup. 

That wouldn’t be Montreal’s excuse though. No matter how you look at that team their drafting has been horrendous. Bergevin literally traded away his best draft pick to a team that just won the Cup and where that player is now part of their core for the next decade.  All just to get another French player who’s one dimensional. If Benning had made that same trade he would need secret service protection. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Ok so the games against the Jets were bad.Size with speed and skill usually gives most teams difficulty. Same with the Habs games this season. I knew we would struggle against Winnipeg as we always do, Montreal and especially Toffoli ate us up as well. I expected us to be even up with Calgary and Edmonton and hoped we would be at least even with the Laffs. Having watched every single season of this soap opera, I see a lot of things I don't like with the current roster and coaching staff that remind me of other poor eras of the Canucks.

Current Roster- a lot of veteran castoffs, throwaways signed to big contracts, expectations not met. There's more than enough blame there to go around from Benning to the players themselves. Eriksson, Sutter, Roussel, Myers,  Just no value to their contracts. How many contracts expire this season to allow for other signings to address our weaknesses?

Sadly one of the tell tale signs of mismanagement, is when a team constantly outworks its opponents, out shoots them, and still loses the game. That's a sign the talent level is not where it needs to be to be competitive. No game breakers. Its even more evident when your goaltender has to be lights out every night or you cant compete. Its not exactly a cup winning formula.Its like watching the 80s Canucks before Linden got here.

Defensively we are a tire fire. Hughes has been good at one end of the rink but other teams have figured out how to attack him in our zone and pressure him into turnovers. Eventually he will figure this out. He has a lot of time to adjust. Myers and Schmidt have been big disappointments. Myers gets caught out way too often on long shifts and he is a liability when tired. Edler is done. He has no goals this season, does not play on the power play and has lost his physical edge. Love what he has done for us but like Daniel and Henrik its time to move on. Schmidt i thought would be a better fit here but maybe the Knights knew what they were doing when they let him go? Hamonic and Benn are borderline NHL players at this point and their expectations were low to begin with. Its time to play the kids and live with what happens. Juolevi, Rathbone, Chatfield. play them unless they are hurt so we can see what we have. Its not going to get much worse.

Offensively Hoglander has been a surprise to me but he definitely had the advantage of playing a lot before the season started. Petey being hurt has not helped. Boeser has been good, nice to see him turn it around, Miller, Horvat, Pearson have had ups and downs on a team that cannot afford inconsistency to be competitive. The top 6 right now of Petterson, Miller, Boeser, Horvat, Hoglander, Pearson wont get it done as is. They are good parts, but a true superstar is needed to take this team over the top.

Virtanen reminds me of how frustrating Neely was as a Canuck. Had Neely stayed in Vancouver he would never have gotten to where he did. Virtanen is Jim Sandlak if he stays here.He needs a fresh start on a team that can develop what he has and keep him motivated.

Gaudette if he was a breakfast cereal would be made by "POST". No player in recent memory gets the grade A chances he gets without any finish. If he scored on a third of his breakaways he would have 12-15 goals this season.

if we are going to have a bottom 6 that plays as poor as we have the only older player i would keep is Motte. Macewan, Graovac, Michaelis, Hawryluk could easily supplant most of the veterans like Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson,Roussell and Vesey or Boyd are not an upgrade at all. Beagle has been a good role model at times but doesnt contribute enough on the ice to warrant a new contract. Sutter id let walk if no one will give us a draft pick for him at the deadline. He will  probably become the next Bonino. Go to a contender that wins the cup but he wont be the driver on any team.

Coaching staff- again i have not been one of those calling for Greens head as I think he has done an ok job. The playoffs last season were fun but we played against two teams that were slow and older in St Louis and Minny. Our team looked younger, faster and fresher than both of those teams. This season outside of Calgary who do we look faster than?

I have defended Green and his staff at times as a developmental coach, well suited for the younger players learning how to be NHL pros. One of the problems i have seen is the team not being ready to play. Our first periods have not been great. We give up the first goal of the game way too often.

Watching the team play defense in its own end is horrifying. They all collapse to the net and do not even attempt to try to retrieve the puck in the corners thus allowing the opposition more pressure and opportunity in our zone. One of the most amazing things about the Sedin era was not how many times they had the puck but how many times they got the puck back. In the other zone and ours.We also allow players to stand over our goalie a lot. Look at the goal Scheiffle scored last night. Wheeler walks around everyone to get the chance that Demko stopped however Scheiffle is allowed to stand around to score on the rebound. Sorry if that not the best example but its the most recent.

Baumgartner and Brown need to go for sure and Green probably is right behind them out the door. The system seems broken and its time for a change. This feels like a team that has lost or ignored the voice.

Benning -will surely get the chance to draft one more time and find a new coach who will take this team to a better spot or he will find himself out of a job as well.Its not that he has been horrible. He inherited a really bad situation and has done a good job of rebuilding to this point. Those who expected him to walk on water have been brought back to earth with the reality that in the salary cap world you have to build through the draft. With where we have drafted i think he has done a good job. Not a great job, but a good job. The Miller trade was a steal. the Free agent signings have for the most part been a bust. Someone mentioned Lombardi on this board. he might be the right guy to take the reins and move the core forward. We still need some size with skill up front. Maybe Jim can find a Defenseman that can clear the net, and a forward that can drive the net. We sorely are lacking in both of those.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

My words not JBs, but when he talks about being a real threat in the playoffs I thinks he's referring more so about development time for the young core, not necessarily building more depth (which obviously always needs to happen though).

I agree

We have the key core pieces that are young. Give this group another couple of years to develop and they'll be taking up most of the cap space. 

Pettersson, Boeser Horvat Demko Hughes

Up AND Coming : Hoglander, Pod

Secondary 

Miller, Virtanen, Gaudette, Myers, Schmidt  (perhaps Tryamkin) 

Maybes: Rathbone, Lind, Gadjovich 

Ofcourse we need to keep drafting well  to have younger cheap talent filling in. 

The main issue right now is that our young core should be what puts a contending team over the top for a Stanley cup but when JB took over, we were a horrible team. 

Our window is when our young guys hit their prime and complimented by future draft picks and guys like Lind and Rathbone stepping up. 

We might make one splash and get a Pietrangelo type player when the time comes but that time is not now

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

Is Ollie injured cuz I fail to understand why he can’t slot in

from what someone on here has said , it has something to do  with Juolevi only allowed to play a certain amount of games, to protect him from Seattle 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, bree2 said:

from what someone on here has said , it has something to do  with Juolevi only allowed to play a certain amount of games, to protect him from Seattle 

Juolevi is no longer exempt regardless of the number of games he plays.  

Every team has to leave exposed 2 Fs and 1 D under contract for next season and who have played 27 games this season or 54 over the past 2 seasons.  Juolevi can’t be used to meet that requirement but it doesn’t make him exempt if he doesn’t reach the 27 games.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Not correct.

Juolevi needs to be protected regardless of how many games he plays from now on (unless we want to expose him, of course).

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Not correct.

Juolevi needs to be protected regardless of how many games he plays from now on (unless we want to expose him, of course).

I think every one just feels better pretending that OJ is sitting cause of expansion draft 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I think every one just feels better pretending that OJ is sitting cause of expansion draft 

i am just going off what someone else said, yet nobody has proven yet what is not correct or correct!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bree2 said:

i am just going off what someone else said, yet nobody has proven yet what is not correct or correct!

It’s correct. Games don’t matter for OJ. There’s clarity in the Who are you Keeping thread

Edited by Devron44

22 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It’s really a head shaker. I believe Hamonic has been a great fit. But Benn and Chatfield don’t have a future here. Where as OJ does. If we are going to replace Edler, it’s in this teams best interest to manage and develop OJ so that when Elder retires, we aren’t spending cap in free agency to plug a hole on defense when we have groomed OJ to handle Edlers minutes eventually. I hope coaching/management realize there is no hope for the playoffs so playing vets is not a priority. Play the bloody kids so we can focus on blending them into the lineup next year full time. I HATE PLAYING PRETEND! Don’t you Devron?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

It’s really a head shaker. I believe Hamonic has been a great fit. But Benn and Chatfield don’t have a future here. Where as OJ does. If we are going to replace Edler, it’s in this teams best interest to manage and develop OJ so that when Elder retires, we aren’t spending cap in free agency to plug a hole on defense when we have groomed OJ to handle Edlers minutes eventually. I hope coaching/management realize there is no hope for the playoffs so playing vets is not a priority. Play the bloody kids so we can focus on blending them into the lineup next year full time. I HATE PLAYING PRETEND! Don’t you Devron?

I’m ok with playing pretend. I mean crazier things have happened. Benn has played well enough but does he really move the needle anymore with OJ in the lineup in place of him?

I though OJ brought out the best in Myers when they were playing together. Yeah I’m not going to complain about post game interviews and crap like that but for me OJ not playing is a legit complaint. I really liked his game and Benn is either gone or just signed for exposure. OJ needs to develop into a Top 4 Dman for us to be successful going forward 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

He hasn't been groomed though to even handle just 3rd pairing minutes much less top four minutes (Edler).  Though I agree, play OJ now rather than later.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I’m ok with playing pretend. I mean crazier things have happened. Benn has played well enough but does he really move the needle anymore with OJ in the lineup in place of him?

I though OJ brought out the best in Myers when they were playing together. Yeah I’m not going to complain about post game interviews and crap like that but for me OJ not playing is a legit complaint. I really liked his game and Benn is either gone or just signed for exposure. OJ needs to develop into a Top 4 Dman for us to be successful going forward 

Agreed. There is no reason not to play Juolevi. It's actually stupid not to. His play warrants being in the lineup, and it's not like the team is going anywhere with the defense they have. Green is making a huge error here....no surprise. At least Juolevi isn't being adversely affected by Baumgartner's stupidity. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. There is no reason not to play Juolevi. It's actually stupid not to. His play warrants being in the lineup, and it's not like the team is going anywhere with the defense they have. Green is making a huge error here....no surprise. At least Juolevi isn't being adversely affected by Baumgartner's stupidity. 

Even if Green wanted to play him, he’s not available.  Benning demoted him to the taxi squad and they don’t have the cap space to call him back up unless they waive someone or put someone else on LTIR.  They already will have to move cap to activate Pettersson after the waiver claims.

• Thanks 3

Just now, mll said:

Even if Green wanted to play him, he’s not available.  Benning demoted him to the taxi squad and they don’t have the cap space to call him back up unless they waive someone or put someone else on LTIR.  They already will have to move cap to activate Pettersson after the waiver claims.

LE's feeling were hurt.  Put him on LTIR.:P

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Why was Olli a taxi squad casualty? He was doing extremely well in the lineup and would have only benefited from more games. Do you think that Benning makes the decision to demoted without consulting Green?

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why was Olli a taxi squad casualty? He was doing extremely well in the lineup and would have only benefited from more games. Do you think that Benning makes the decision to demoted without consulting Green?

I'm assuming that's a joint decision.  Final decision is probably on Benning but I'm sure if Green really wanted Juolevi on the main squad, he'd be here.

• Cheers 2