The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 24, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Would not be against it. I'm curious though, why hasn't he been scooped up by another team, if he's such a hot commodity? 

For sure. I wonder, maybe JB has had preliminary talks with him and the groundwork has been done. Gallant coaches an up tempo style and has the passion I never see with Green. Not saying Green isn't passionate about his job but in my opinion a coach needs to show emotion once in awhile. It's an emotional game and players love and need a coach who wears it on his sleeve. Just my two cents. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, xereau said:

Canucks vs Florida 2016, there was a semi lame 'bench brawl' at the end of a game.

Gallant beaked off to the Sedins that they should kill themselves like Rick Rypien.

Gallant will never ever coach in Vancouver.

Whoa. Really? Wasn't that Shawn Thornton? 

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. There is no reason not to play Juolevi. It's actually stupid not to. His play warrants being in the lineup, and it's not like the team is going anywhere with the defense they have. Green is making a huge error here....no surprise. At least Juolevi isn't being adversely affected by Baumgartner's stupidity. 

One thing I do wonder though. Does OJ have a bonus structure. Maybe there’s a cap thing involved

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

It’s really a head shaker. I believe Hamonic has been a great fit. But Benn and Chatfield don’t have a future here. Where as OJ does. If we are going to replace Edler, it’s in this teams best interest to manage and develop OJ so that when Elder retires, we aren’t spending cap in free agency to plug a hole on defense when we have groomed OJ to handle Edlers minutes eventually. I hope coaching/management realize there is no hope for the playoffs so playing vets is not a priority. Play the bloody kids so we can focus on blending them into the lineup next year full time. I HATE PLAYING PRETEND! Don’t you Devron?

You don't just throw in every young player onto a team. You're still trying to win games and dress the best team. Playing the crap out of OJ and gifting him minutes doesn't necessarily develop him better than earning it. He's currently next up and he's getting a whole year with the big team so it's not all a waste. I hope we trade Benn at the deadline, and play OJ to finish out the year. I think that would be an excellent opportunity and a solid year for him.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, xereau said:

Canucks vs Florida 2016, there was a semi lame 'bench brawl' at the end of a game.

Gallant beaked off to the Sedins that they should kill themselves like Rick Rypien.

The comment was made by a panthers player. Not Gallant.  Gallant got a game suspension  for getting invoked in the scuffle 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Largely cap management, particularly with our recent slate of injuries and the corresponding waiver claims made. IIRC, to recall OJ, his cap hit would include any potential bonuses as well. 

Secondarily, as good as OJ was, and he certainly has a higher ceiling and is probably a better puck mover than Benn even now, he's also an inexperienced rookie who was bound to make the sort of mistakes and issues with consistency those guys have.

Benn, for his part, has largely played well and brings a certain level of veteran consistency/stability. Something this team DESPERATELY needed to get them out of the early season funk they were in.

I've been pumping OJ's tires for years, I want to see him play too. But context and circumstance has put a wrench in things thus far. Hopefully, assuming we've all come to the conclusion we're likely sellers, we see Benn moved for a mid pick towards the TDL and more minutes for OJ to keep developing for next year.

Fair enough. Good points. I feel that based on his solid play, which was as good or better than Benn, Juolevi will be a fixture on the roster for years to come, and that ridonkulous label of "draft bust" that people have given him, can be fired into the sun.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, mll said:

Even if Green wanted to play him, he’s not available.  Benning demoted him to the taxi squad and they don’t have the cap space to call him back up unless they waive someone or put someone else on LTIR.  They already will have to move cap to activate Pettersson after the waiver claims.

Thanks for clarifying ,was wondering why he hasn’t had another look,thought he was pretty decent in the games he has played.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Largely cap management, particularly with our recent slate of injuries and the corresponding waiver claims made. IIRC, to recall OJ, his cap hit would include any potential bonuses as well. 

Secondarily, as good as OJ was, and he certainly has a higher ceiling and is probably a better puck mover than Benn even now, he's also an inexperienced rookie who was bound to make the sort of mistakes and issues with consistency those guys have.

Benn, for his part, has largely played well and brings a certain level of veteran consistency/stability. Something this team DESPERATELY needed to get them out of the early season funk they were in.

I've been pumping OJ's tires for years, I want to see him play too. But context and circumstance has put a wrench in things thus far. Hopefully, assuming we've all come to the conclusion we're likely sellers, we see Benn moved for a mid pick towards the TDL and more minutes for OJ to keep developing for next year.

Agree.

I'm not holding my breath for a Benn trade though.  I hope I'm wrong because it would be nice to get something from an expiring asset, but I don't see management wanting to get closer to a scenario where Juolevi, Chatfield and Rafferty play in the same game.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. Good points. I feel that based on his solid play, which was as good or better than Benn, Juolevi will be a fixture on the roster for years to come, and that ridonkulous label of "draft bust" that people have given him, can be fired into the sun.

I didn't mind what I saw so far from Juolevi but he has a long way to go before he avoids that title.

Also depends on your definition; is he a not a bust as long as he's a regular NHLer, or would he have to perform to the level we would expect out of a 5th overall pick (#2D)?

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Serious? 

What a POS if true. I hope it's not true though.

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Agree.

I'm not holding my breath for a Benn trade though.  I hope I'm wrong because it would be nice to get something from an expiring asset, but I don't see management wanting to get closer to a scenario where Juolevi, Chatfield and Rafferty play in the same game.

Seems like a dumb reason to not trade Benn.

So yeah, I agree with you, that's probably what management will do. :canucks: