The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 24, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Pretty simple concept here that people are shockingly having trouble understanding.

Better @ hockey + cheap cap = better asset

It's about as simple as that.

So far people have typed up a lot of long posts yet nobody has still been able to explain why Myers is awful statistically?

I saw some WAR garbage on another thread, but they lost all credibility in my mind years ago when they declared Steen the best player in the NHL.  

• Hydration 1
10 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

What bothers me though, and your guilty of this too, is when people forget about the context for his moves.  

It's not forgetting. It's willfully ignoring to suit a narrative.

• Hydration 3
9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Detroit is a worse team then us. If he's getting scratched, on a worse team, it's not exactly supporting your loopy assessment.

Looks like Stecher got a longer look by the Dead Wings as for a while they were going with a 7 defenseman/11 forward roster.  But that's just based on a quick look by me (as I don't follow that team).

35 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I love that when people don't agree with people they are considered dense, only see grey and not black and white, which is not true. The biggest problem with this team is a lack of depth. We weren't deep enough with Pettersson, Sutter, Pearson in the lineup and without them we are even worse. The bottom six statistically is bad. It's why they are not doing well this year. It's just facts. So who does that fall on? Well I'm sorry but Benning hasn't really changed the bottom six the past couple of years. My thoughts are based on Benning's history. I hope he does find a way to get some assets back for players that are not likely returning. I don't understand why people are so thrilled with a team that is less than mediocre right now? They aren't even .500. Yet, people are upset if you you criticize them. We aren't real fans because real fans stick by their teams and say nothing negative. Benning has done great at the draft. He has made some good trades. He also has mishandled the bottom six in terms of term and money spent. He has a lot of the same players that do the same thing. He also has failed multiple times at acquiring assets for players becoming ufas. Maybe the depth is coming  but right now. We don't have the depth to plug in our lineup for the bottom six. I could easily say everyone who is critical of people who criticize the team are not true fans because they ignore the terrible things Benning has done and accept being less than mediocre. It goes both ways. We might potentially lose Ian Clark with this wait and see approach. It's very scary stuff going on here. There are a lot of great things about this team but how is he going to insulate the core right now with no money to spend to bring in other players? It's not getting better next year.  We have to sign Hughes and Pettersson. I think the money we save on not bringing Sutter and Pearson back is going to those two so I don't see where the money comes from to find other players to insulate the core.

You are mostly focusing on the roster and ignoring the usage of the players which falls on the staff....

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

So that’s why Benning got rid of two really good RD in Tanev and Stecher?

If Stecher is "really good" why'd he signs for less the 2 in Detroit?   Tanev yes, but  Schmidt makes up for that.    Younger, less injury prone and at least stats wise, matches up.   Also Hamonic has settled QHs down at 30% of the cost. 

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
1 minute ago, aGENT said:

It's not forgetting. It's willfully ignoring to suit a narrative.

And to be fair, it's still something you can disagree with.  Perhaps inefficient contracts are never a good idea no matter the circumstances but I don't think anyone can reasonable say a flat COVID cap was predictable.  

• Hydration 2
1 minute ago, IBatch said:

If Stecher is "really good" why'd he signs for less the 2 in Detroit?   Tanev yes, but  Schmidt makes up for that.    Younger, less injury prone and at least stats wise, matches up.   Also Hamonic has settled QHs down at 30% of the cost. 

Stecher also panicked into signing with Detroit. That’s what covid did to a lot of us. 

Hamonic has been a very nice surprise for me 

• Hydration 3
6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Stecher also panicked into signing with Detroit. That’s what covid did to a lot of us. 

Another great surprise is Hoglander sitting at 5th in team scoring, and 6th in team points. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Detroit is a worse team then us. If he's getting scratched, on a worse team, it's not exactly supporting your loopy assessment.

I don't profess to know the inner workings of their organization when it comes to their plan for how they are going to play and deploy their D-men.

What I do know is that Stecher is better than Myers things like expected goals for, scoring chance for%, etc.

I've also seen both play quite a bit, as have you and everyone here.

IMO, from my eye-test, I haven't seen anything in Myers that suggests he's too much better than Stecher (from an overall impact POV), and especially not 3x cap-hit better.

Again, our eye-tests may see differently but the stats support one side over the other. I'll let you guess which one.

e/ You can also take a poll on Wings reddit or HF to see what they've thought of Stecher this year.

Same goes for Tanev and Flames fans.

Edited by kanucks25
14 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

:bored:

11 minutes ago, bree2 said:

:picard:

Is it like a board ritual that when you lose an argument you just respond with a meaningless emoji?

I've been here for over a dozen years, never heard of it. Strange.

:towel:Go Canucks.

• Vintage 1
4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Every coach in the league would play one over the other. I’ll let you guess which one.

There was a lineup of GMs wanting to sign one while the other was found in the clearance bin. I’ll let you guess which one.

I'd pick Myers over Stecher too.

Just not at 6M vs 1.7M

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Me too.  Replaced Stetcher for sure.   

7 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I'd pick Myers over Stecher too.

Just not at 6M vs 1.7M

Guess we could of got Guddy back at 4.5.... or traded for Trouba instead, lost assets and then signed for 8 x 8.    Or traded for EK and lost our shirts.  Hamonic for sure is a value signing but took some time to gain traction, that's Stetcher's replacement really.   Myers plays the PK, more then any other d on either side in the top fifty in scoring, gets 20-30 seconds of second unit time per power play, and is in the top 15ish in scoring for RHDs, or top 25-30 league wide.   Pretty much just earns his paycheques but i guess that's not enough for some people. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2
1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Guess we could of got Guddy back at 4.5.... or traded for Trouba instead, lost assets and then signed for 8 x 8.    Or traded for EK and lost our shirts.  

What kinds of arguments are these lol?

Myers is good because there are other trash players/contracts in the league?

Same as all the people who keep defending management by claiming "at least we aren't Buffalo".

Have some standards and expectations.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Covid is the reason and Covid is the reason why some fans here give Benning a free card. 
So you know the impact of Covid. Why don’t you understand that regarding Stecher?

53 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Stecher getting scratched in Detroit but somehow he is better than Myers. :lol:

Markstrom getting pulled from games in Calgary while Demko is looking like a Vezina trophy candidate. 

Same posters calling for Benning’s head are the same ones that wanted to keep Markstrom over Demko and keep Stecher around.

The life of being a Canucks fan on CDC...

To be fair I'd rather have Markstrom + Tanev over Schmidt and Holtby. Same cap hit. You can argue the longevity of the idea but at the end of the day Markstrom and Tanev did a lot for this team and were clearly glue pieces. 

If there was a way to sign them to deals you could trade for, their trade value far exceeds our players as well. 

• SNuck locked this topic