Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 24, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Ouch, and Shea is a local player. That was a really bad drafting.

Hindsight.

 

At the time many thought getting shinkaruk where we did was a steal. He was viewed as a top 10 talent at the time.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

How am I obsessed with Loui?


some posters here are obsessed with size. 
 

I say we should have used the money on Schmidt and Myers to get a real gamechanger. Then Stecher is valued as a third pair. Nothing more. 
stecher is of better value than Myers.

Is that so strange?

which one? how?

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hindsight.

 

At the time many thought getting shinkaruk where we did was a steal. He was viewed as a top 10 talent at the time.

our local amateur scouting has always been weak going back decades.  Hasn’t changed that much even under Benning (outside Western Canada, plenty of home runs.  Inside our background, one ground rule single Virtanen & he was a sixth overall pick).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

our local amateur scouting has always been weak going back decades.  Hasn’t changed that much even under Benning (outside Western Canada, plenty of home runs.  Inside our background, one ground rule single Virtanen & he was a sixth overall pick).

I'd rather benning and his team focus on NCAA/USHL/USNTDP/etc and European players anyway -- they seem to be far easier to forecast and the hit rate is higher than the CHL, and the dub in particular is pretty weak.

 

Canadian junior hockey desperately needs to change something because they're falling way behind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tas said:

I'd rather benning and his team focus on NCAA/USHL/USNTDP/etc and European players anyway -- they seem to be far easier to forecast and the hit rate is higher than the CHL, and the dub in particular is pretty weak.

 

Canadian junior hockey desperately needs to change something because they're falling way behind. 

Disagree.  No cap on how much you can spend on scouting.  Increase in scouting in one area doesn’t mean it comes at the expense of another area.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Disagree.  No cap on how much you can spend on scouting.  Increase in scouting in one area doesn’t mean it comes at the expense of another area.

but at the end of the day you have to choose between the kid you scouted in the dub and the kid you scouted in the USHL who is committed to the NCAA and that latter path is proving to be a more reliable way to draft and develop NHL players, so unless the local kid blows the doors off and you think he can make the leap right away to the nhl, you go with the USHL kid because you don't have to send him back to a junior league for a year or 2 before you can actually develop him. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tas said:

I'd rather benning and his team focus on NCAA/USHL/USNTDP/etc and European players anyway -- they seem to be far easier to forecast and the hit rate is higher than the CHL, and the dub in particular is pretty weak.

 

Canadian junior hockey desperately needs to change something because they're falling way behind. 

I agree it’s important for us to have a wheelhouse for scouting certain players. It’s like how the Red Wings dominated scouting with Russian and Swedish players for years.

 

If we’re having success finding USHL gems and can keep an inside track there I have no problem going back to the well again and again.

 

No point in taking a WHL kid just to appease our CHL scouts. CHL players often come with more hype than they’re worth simply because of increased exposure. Give me that unknown gem playing high school hockey down in Massachusetts that no ones watching over the WHL kid that has been overscouted.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tas said:

which one? how?

I’m not stressed.

if you count the time from Myers were signed til the start of season 22/23 Benning could have planned a happy ending instead of all the half assed deals

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hindsight.

 

At the time many thought getting shinkaruk where we did was a steal. He was viewed as a top 10 talent at the time.

Ok

But a local kid bleeds Canucks and give everything he got for the team. 
A mercenary can never get there.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Timråfan said:

I’m not stressed.

if you count the time from Myers were signed til the start of season 22/23 Benning could have planned a happy ending instead of all the half assed deals

the point is that $10 mil game changer right shot dmen don't become available, and when they do once every 10 or 15 years, they don't go to teams in canada that aren't cup contenders. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tas said:

the point is that $10 mil game changer right shot dmen don't become available, and when they do once every 10 or 15 years, they don't go to teams in canada that aren't cup contenders. 

That is a pessimistic view. 
I am optimistic about it. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Ok

But a local kid bleeds Canucks and give everything he got for the team. 
A mercenary can never get there.

Cough cough....Jake...cough....

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Ok

But a local kid bleeds Canucks and give everything he got for the team. 
A mercenary can never get there.

They may have very well taken him if Shinkaruk wasn’t there.

 

I really think they thought they had a steal at the time based on his draft rankings.

 

Thats why drafting isn’t a perfect science. If people knew how good Theodore was he would have gone top 10.


Shinkaruk on the other hand would have been a 4th rounder or later. Nobody can predict how players will develop though.

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They may have very well taken him if Shinkaruk wasn’t there.

 

I really think they thought they had a steal at the time based on his draft rankings.

 

Thats why drafting isn’t a perfect science. If people knew how good Theodore was he would have gone top 10.


Shinkaruk on the other hand would have been a 4th rounder or later. Nobody can predict how players will develop though.

That’s true

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

They may have very well taken him if Shinkaruk wasn’t there.

 

I really think they thought they had a steal at the time based on his draft rankings.

 

Thats why drafting isn’t a perfect science. If people knew how good Theodore was he would have gone top 10.


Shinkaruk on the other hand would have been a 4th rounder or later. Nobody can predict how players will develop though.

I’ve done a lot of research of and I can say with total confidence that I can draft as well as any gm....as long as I get to do it years after the fact.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’ve done a lot of research of and I can say with total confidence that I can draft as well as any gm....as long as I get to do it years after the fact.

Me too.

 

This team would have Ehlers, Pastrnak, and Aho if I was scouting (after the fact).

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, he’s a strange kid. He has the chance of a lifetime and doesn’t grab it. Shortsighted...

Hes just not good enough. Not sure why people make excuses for him

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • SNuck locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...