The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | March 24, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Can anyone explain to me why on earth Montreal games are being postponed? 

Two nothing players in armia and kotkaniemi have covid? So what? 

Who cares... They are no body compared to JT Miller... Who missed plenty of games yet we got 0 postponed... 

Just makes no sense... JT Miller outscored every clown on that Montreal team... He's a far superior player, yet none of our games got postponed and we had to fight with a depleted roster? 

Yet armia and kotka absence causes cancelation? Brutal league. 

Good for Bergevin and Molson family for lobbying bettman to let their team rest up and heal from all injuries. Brutal. 

If I'm Benning I say we all have covid too and let guys recoup from injuries. Brutal. 

Anyways let's get that W tonight! 

ryan reynolds wtf GIF

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Wonder what the reaction of the other Refs in the league will be?

Will they start calling more or put the whistles away?

Hope this is the beginning of a more transparent NHL. I dream of a day when the officials have to answer a few questions in a post game presser.

I don't mind bad calls now and again, I would just like to hear why they occurred. I don't mind different refs having different styles. Maybe if they put their names back on their sweaters and let us all get to know their perspectives then teams can be prepared for what to expect. 

Refs are human and it is a very difficult job. They need better support and systems in place but the days of them being protected to the degree they are has to change.

Go Nucks.  

This. It's a fast sport, things will get missed occasionally, mistakes will be made. I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

I think the issues most fans have are the utter lack of consistency in calls (even within one game, nevermind from one to the next) and the clear 'game management' that occurs.

Just call the rule book and do it consistently, regardless of the score or teams/players involved. If it's hold/interference/trip etc early in the first period, tied 0-0, it's still a penalty in the third period even if the team getting the PP is leading 4-2.

And as for the mistakes, missed calls etc... With the technology we have today, I'm all for having the 2nd ref OFF the ice (more space and less refs in the way of actual play) and with the benefit of video, slow motion replay, zoom etc to be able to correct a lot of those errors and misses. He simply calls down to the time keeper to chat with the other ref if he sees anything that was missed or wrongly called. Do that and I bet we don't need a 'ref review' like so many people ask for. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, apollo said:

Off course. Get drones to do it. 

Let their be a single standard. It's 2021 we have the technology. 

Only thing holding it back is that these league want to control outcomes to a certain extent 

on any given shft there are probably 5-10 infractions.  You want every one of them called?

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

on any given shft there are probably 5-10 infractions.  You want every one of them called?

You're such a troll. Both your replies brutal to my post... 

You make drones that set a standard. Period. The players will adjust. If it's soft it won't get called. 

Consistency. So games aren't fixed. 

This is a pipe dream tho, too many billions involved for them to let go of fixing results. 

Edited by apollo
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I want consistency, particularly between periods. If its an infraction in the 1st It should be in the 3rd. 

I think games would be awfully boring without game management by the officials, and part of that is as standards change a bit as the game goes on the importance goes up.  It creates tension and anticipation.  As frustrating as it can be, don't tell me it doesn't keep you glued to the tv knowing that there's going to be an even up penalty coming soon.

• Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, apollo said:

You're such a troll. Both your replies brutal to my post... 

You make drones that set a standard. Period. The players will adjust. If it's soft it won't get called. 

Consistency. So games aren't fixed. 

This is a pipe dream tho, too many billions involved for them to let go of fixing results. 

suck it up buttercup

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think games would be awfully boring without game management by the officials, and part of that is as standards change a bit as the game goes on the importance goes up.  It creates tension and anticipation.  As frustrating as it can be, don't tell me it doesn't keep you glued to the tv knowing that there's going to be an even up penalty coming soon.

.. waiting for an even up penalty isn't what keeps me glued to my seat, watching two teams battle it out does.

These guys are refs, not game managers. As players, it's brutal to get away with something throughout the game just to have it called late in the third to even things up. That's not what refs get paid to do (or at least it shouldn't be). There are rules for a reason, and refs need to follow them consistently.

If we want to create excitement by gifting teams PPs to make it interesting then just do it. We can turn hockey into a Japanese game show.

27 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Sutherland should be fired too...it is obvious that if Peel said that to him...he must be doing the same stuff...

I am sure those are the only 2....

...right....U Bett man....?

Putting 2 and 2 together... yes I agree. If Peel felt he could be so candid to say that to Sutherland then.... it takes two.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

can yu possibly imagine how boring the game would be if it weren't managed?  Do you want them to call every single infraction?

When we say managed we mean manipulating the out come of a game so a certain team wins.

I want them to call a game evenly and consistently.

That is what we seen happen in 2011 final. They decided to change the way the game was officiated to favor the bigger Bruins. 

Edited by appleboy
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

but its too subjective. Its so easy for certain ref's to call one on Myers for being big, e.g.. I don't believe that there isn't a lot of regional and/or personal bias that comes into it. 

Decide what to call, and just call it for each period. The guys don't need game to game to be the same (e.g., as with umpires) but within games they need to tighten up whats called and when. Its not fair to a guy to be allowed to do something for 1/2 a game and then suddenly, oh wait we need some management. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Vintage 1