The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The First Rule of Game Management? Don't talk about Game Management

Rate this topic

As an ice hockey fan(who's long watched, & played the game for yrs) it's so damned disappointing.

I basically only take the time to watch Canuck games, as it connects to that ol' nostalgia of youth. I've even been missing many of these, this broken season.

I'm curious how many long-time fans of the game, feel as I do? Feels like this BS league is killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

I recall criticisms of Ziegler, back in the day. Then there were bullying Alan Eagleson types, with backgound influence. One could argue almost all realms of society had them types, I guess that should be taken into account.

**********************************                ********************************

But I want to emphasize how things were different, back then. If you trace the start-up of the WHA, for example. A lot of the impetus came from players, very disenchanted with B*llS**t owners, & their antics.

Society Needs such an upswell/demand for accountability & level field from the proverbial "cog" or smaller fry, if you will. I'd even submit it to all you fans that the overall (amazing quality, skill & rapid growth) level of the game in the 1980's & early 90's emanated from the player push-back & initiative which was so pervasive in the 1970's(forever cemented with the establishment of a rival league).

We've long lived in an age where the mom & pop, lil' shop has been plowed over, making room for big box store, run by robot-zombies. Between horrible music, Hollyweird & 'entertainment' like this, afraid there's not much left.

The pangs of nostalgia aren't s'posed to hurt so much. I basically got society/calendars starting about 1980(just ask Dirk Diggler! :^). That's BC & AC

Before Corruption & After Corruption. The cash got too big, almost everywhere. Hockey stretched out an extra decade + of fun, due to a nascent rival league, & undying dedication of the(soon to be raped & pillaged) avg Cdn fan. Back then, a champ team could come from either side of the border!

Sorry for the ramble. I've had my moUrning coffee. But I wanted to share with you perspective of a middle aged guy who has tired of almost every aspect of the western society I grew up in. The rot nas permeated into everything that was once held sacred. This kinda crap, just another symptom of widespread disease.

I'm off cycling to a mtn hike..spring birds are out singing already. Cheers.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, GoCanucks16 said:

That's not true, though. There are games where a given team benefits - sometimes substantially - from the calls. The Canucks certainly benefit from them more often than not contrary to all the crying people do on these forums.

1 hour ago, GoCanucks16 said:

Yet everyone around here acts like the officiating is harmful to the Canucks game-in and game-out.

So your point is that this is more of a Canuck centric issue? Please extrapolate so I understand it better.

It's a tough situation with so much grey area in hockey. You could literally call a penalty every couple shifts. Are the games managed at times by the refs? For sure. I'm not sure we could stomach a game where every single penalty that is a penalty by letter of the law is called. Fact is that the refs are part of the flow of the game for the good and the bad. Never really liked Peel but he's is being used as a scape goat here to show the NHL as having a set standard. Fact is they don't want to admit that the best refs know how to control the flow of the game fairly and it's appreciated. It's appreciated but not something that the NHL says it wants to admit it appreciates. It cannot be, or ever be a black and white called game. 

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

It's a tough situation with so much grey area in hockey. You could literally call a penalty every couple shifts. Are the games managed at times by the refs? For sure. I'm not sure we could stomach a game where every single penalty that is a penalty by letter of the law is called. Fact is that the refs are part of the flow of the game for the good and the bad. Never really liked Peel but he's is being used as a scape goat here to show the NHL as having a set standard. Fact is they don't want to admit that the best refs know how to control the flow of the game fairly and it's appreciated. It's appreciated but not something that the NHL says it wants to admit it appreciates. It cannot be, or ever be a black and white called game. 

At the same time players stretch the rules because they are allowed to. If the refs called a tighter game the players and coaches would game plan accordingly 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

At the same time players stretch the rules because they are allowed to. If the refs called a tighter game the players and coaches would game plan accordingly 

Yes, but the grey area associated with penalties will never disappear from the game. Good refs know how to manage it. It's part of the game and the best refs know how to do it.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

Campbell is the one who should be under investigation, humiliated, then completely turfed. 

Campbell should have been sent to prison years ago for corruption.  His continued employment is proof the the NHL, at best, doesn't consider honesty and the integrity of the sport to be a priority.

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Campbell should have been sent to prison years ago for corruption.  His continued employment is proof the the NHL, at best, doesn't consider honesty and the integrity of the sport to be a priority.

And that's the main point - integrity. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

If the calls are made the players will figure it out pretty quick and stop giving them things to call. It's happened before on a small scale (hooking crackdown etc.). All the refs need to do to control the flow of the game is enforce the rules. Peel is definitely a scapegoat, I agree with that. 

• Cheers 2

It’s not really what gets called. For the most part, with exceptions every game, penalties called are indeed penalties and can be accepted by all concerned; players, coaches, and observers. 

It’s what is not being called that has always galled me and the timing of such. It’s my seeming clairvoyant ability to predict what team will or will not be penalized next that bothers me most about this entire drama. 
Game management which allows for fair, competitive, open and exciting play is the ideal that needs to aspired to. The best referees have the ability to consistently reach this level. Conversely, game management informed by specific scores or the clock simply fuels mistrust and acrimony. This is what has marred my enjoyment of the game over the years.

Peel’s in game commentary is no outlier I’m afraid.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

There are 2 kinds of people in this world. Those who have loaded guns, and those who dig.

This has to be in the top 3 of all time for movie quotes.

Best westerns ever. "If your gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk" 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1