The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The First Rule of Game Management? Don't talk about Game Management

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, zimmy said:

It’s not really what gets called. For the most part, with exceptions every game, penalties called are indeed penalties and can be accepted by all concerned; players, coaches, and observers. 

It’s what is not being called that has always galled me and the timing of such. It’s my seeming clairvoyant ability to predict what team will or will not be penalized next that bothers me most about this entire drama. 
Game management which allows for fair, competitive, open and exciting play is the ideal that needs to aspired to. The best referees have the ability to consistently reach this level. Conversely, game management informed by specific scores or the clock simply fuels mistrust and acrimony. This is what has marred my enjoyment of the game over the years.

Peel’s in game commentary is no outlier I’m afraid.

Would love to be a fly on the wall in the refs room between periods. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

are you sure that's the name of the movie? can't find a movie with that name.

There was a movie called the cowboy ant the blonde

Lol. Not Blondy. That was Tuco's nickname for Eastwood in the "Good the Bad and the Ugly trilogy.

• Upvote 1

I still want the refs in a post game to explain their actions. They botch a call, Show video and have them explain why they made or ignored the call.

Hold them accountable. Start with that POS sutherland. I'd pay PPV to go through 10 years of footage of his BS game management. Then fire his ass, NO pension.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I still want the refs in a post game to explain their actions. They botch a call, Show video and have them explain why they made or ignored the call.

Hold them accountable. Start with that POS sutherland. I'd pay PPV to go through 10 years of footage of his BS game management. Then fire his ass, NO pension.

Let teams veto a certain number of refs.  If a ref is on so many lists it's impossible to schedule him, fire him.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, GoCanucks16 said:

If there was no "game management" and everything was called by the book, the Canucks would spend a lot more time on the penalty kill. The current iteration of our team gets away with A LOT.

You can say the same for other teams that played against the Canucks.  They'd be in the box and play 3 on 3 hockey all game long.

19 hours ago, khay said:

Same here.

I started to view the games differently from that point on.

As fans of the Canucks, we are used to being an underdog. When we lose, despite questionable refereeing, I accepted that the other team won because they are better not because of refereeing or game management.

2011 was the first time we went into the finals as a top seed. It was disappointing to see the same type of game management be applied starting from round 1. I lost my true passion for the sport. At least I stopped viewing the games with an innocence but rather, that it is a business and there are millions of dollars at stake for certain parties. 

I still cheer for the team and it's still a great sport. But I don't think I'll ever be let down as much as I did after each playoff loss or get angry at the refs and lose temper as much as I did before.

The Rome suspension was what did me in.  That is one of the most egregious and blatantly wrong decisions ever handed down to the Canucks.  I really believe that was the turning point in the series.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

The problem is so much bigger than one ref.  I don't want this dudes pension to be effected.  I want the whole system of reffing to change, but good luck with guys like Colin Campbell still calling the shots.  Pathetic old boys club that cost us in 2011.

Not to mention 94. 

6 minutes ago, sonoman said:

The Rome suspension was what did me in.  That is one of the most egregious and blatantly wrong decisions ever handed down to the Canucks.  I really believe that was the turning point in the series.  

That after the Hamuis injury. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

Nothing more ludicrous than Colin Campbell jumping on a soapbox and ranting all self-righteously about how inappropriate and unacceptable Peel's behaviour is.

The ironing is delicious.

Pretty much what I was thinking....

Peel is being scapegoated for saying the quiet part out loud. Everyone knows that game management and make up calls are the norm in the NHL. For CC (on any league exec) to act shocked and appalled is beyond disingenuous.

I've reffed hundreds of games myself and I can attest that if the penalties are slanted one way or another, it's human nature to want to "even things up" and you watch the team with less PIMs a bit more closely. Same with "putting the whistle away". No ref wants to call a hook or a slash in the final minute of a tie game. The NHL has been doing this for about a century now and everyone is surprised?:unsure:

If the league is truly so disappointed with this stunning revelation, the answer is quite simple: You huddle the refs and tell them their future performance reviews and possible post season work is dependent on a new standard....one where a penalty in the first period of a pre-season game is a penalty in OT of game 7 in the Cup finals. Every time. No exceptions, even for superstars.....

Then you deal with the fallout from owners, GMs and fans....but at least your "integrity" will be intact....:rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, King Heffy said:

And eventually players and coaches would adapt.

Yes, making the game cleaner is what the goal is all about rather than dirty plays or infractions which prevent goal.  I still see that they would get away with certain things that the ref let it go, mostly.  

The bad apple doesn't fall far from the tree and that's on Colin Campbell and the crew.  It's time for the cleaning houses from top to bottom and it's up to the owners to clean the house by majority of votes.    It is the owners' $$$ is on the line and if they continue this, not everybody will be happy when their team lost an important game because the very top wanted other team to win for revenue bonanza.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:25 PM, coolboarder said:

You can say the same for other teams that played against the Canucks.  They'd be in the box and play 3 on 3 hockey all game long.

then all they need to do is get rid of 1/2 the useless penalties

like slashing  the stick (only rlelevant because it loks bad for stick manufacturers)

in fact 90 of slashes are nothing

holding , get rid of holding that does not impede

high sticking , that does not contact the head

look at the trapezoid rule, simple rule, almost never gets broken because its simple

puck over glass, only happens by accident because guys know they will get called

the reason some penalties get called a lot is because they don't get called a lot. 

Its the lack of consistancy that creates more penalties.

want less penalties suspend guys for taking them

Soccer, 2 yellows = a red

I doubpt it would make the game better

but it would reduce penalties, if that is what you want