The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, awalk said:

That said, Benning was handed a team with the 6th overall pick in a good draft, plus a pretty good stack of aging assets that could have been moved. Instead he tried to do a "rebuild on the fly" around the Sedins... I thought it was a decent plan at the time.

Given Benning's obvious ability to pick out drafted talent, don't you think it would have been his preference to tear it all down asap? I'm not sure if it is public knowledge or speculation, but I believe it was ownership who wanted to keep the window open for as long as possible. We also had the aging Sedins, for whom we were waiting to retire before a true rebuilt could occur, and even when it did, we had to content with Loui's hurl-worthy contract as an anchor to bringing in talent as well as Luongo's ridiculous penalty. One may say that LE is Benning's fault, but I would make that same acquisition every single time if I'm GM. His falling off a cliff was an absolute anomaly and bad luck.

I'm not blind to Benning's mistakes. He's made some gaffs which are entirely on him, but that could be said of literally every other GM. I think if you step back and look at all the speedbumps and hurdles he's had to deal with, he's actually managed quite well. And while the Aquilinis can make mistakes like any other owner, their confidence in him by virtue of his 3 year contract signals to me that they believe the same.

• Hydration 2
On 4/15/2021 at 1:12 PM, IBatch said:

The thing that might be missing from this - was it accidentally on purpose?   

To me at least, the team was doomed from the start.   It was always about timing the Sedins retirement with the next core.    I also think he's learned on the job and got better, so those first three years were trial by fire.    JB never does what seems easy to do.   Well i guess Benn for a 6th counts for something, he's learning to use his cap space to get something later lol.   I don't really care how we got here, but we did get here, and it's better then i expected. Figured we'd be more like Detroit.   Turfing the golden boy (two decades of best or one of the best GMs out there for Yzerman.  Flounder around and maybe parts of this core and the next compete. Sucks now a top team pretty much is a gaurantee to suck for a decade.   Even sucks more that you could suck for a decade no matter what happens.    At least a clear path has emerged.   Accidentally or not.   

All good, but we differ on the bolded. 

Happy to have a path, even if it was forged by blind man, ...there is a path from then to now. 

I will state though, that even though I love EP and QH, I’m not sure I’d build around them... I know, this will pin the eyebrows of readers to their hairlines...:goat:

Playoff hockey and longevity in this sport are at odds with their body types and styles, IMO.  Hate to say it, but a balanced playoff team could be built out of returns for one or both.  This org isn’t really all that deep where it counts, but could be via trades like that, not that I’m foreseeing a GM ballsy enough to trade ONE, let alone two, franchise players... before they’re even out of their first contracts! 

IR mainstay EP and QH being brutalized in the playoffs is something I think is a high probability, once the team gets going.  

Remember you heard it here and the flack I’ll get for suggesting it’s likelihood. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
18 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Happy to have a path, even if it was forged by blind man, there is a path from then to now. 

I will state though, that even though I loves EP and QH, I’m not sure I’d build around them.  I know, this will pin the eyebrows of readers to their hairlines...

Playoff hockey and longevity in this sport are at odds with their body types and styles, IMO.  Hate to say it, but a balanced playoff team could be built out of returns for one or both.  This org isn’t really all that deep where it counts, but could be, not that I’m foreseeing a GM ballsy enough to trade or, let alone two, franchise players before they’re out of their first contracts! 

IR mainstay EP and QH being brutalized in the playoffs is something I think is a high probability, once the team gets going.  Remember you heard it here and the flack I’ll get for suggesting it’s likelihood. 

Not from me.   On another thread i suggested that JB would have a very difficult choice to make if EP got an offer sheet like AHO's and in a flat cap world (ok it might go up 1 million a year if basic requirements occur - but nothing more then that which is why it's "not a significant cap rise the duration of the CBA"), it would be hard not to take the first, second and third, especially from a rebuilding team, and the 8.45 in space and use that on a star blue chipper like say Hamilton this year.     EP and QHs are unique players that will keep the arena packed... so don't think JB would go there, and i'm not sure i would really do it either.   But i do recognize that the team is flawed as it is.   Podz is for sure intriguing.  If he's turns out like Rantanen  (another big skilled winger) my heart my not take it (skipped a few beats thinking about it) .... lucky or good or whatever the saying goes and all.   Might as well start melting the bronze now.      

The team hasn't make a blockbuster deal since Luongo's ..and since the cap they are truly rare because these guys are so hard to draft consecutively.   I think EP has a chance to become a superstar.   We've only ever had one really, two if you include Mogilny.   Simply by definition, they need to be top one or two by position year after year (Kane, Crosby, Ovi).   Luongo and the Sedins were briefly.   Bure was perennially one of the best from his second year until he retired in non injury years.    Feel EP has a chance of becoming a top five C, QHs is absolutely unique but a lot of work yet to get to the Norris conversations.    In a cap world that could be a good advantage for us ...  top heavy teams don't have it easy cap wise, rarely is the money worth it based on production.   McDavid isn't going to score twice as much as a lot of the guys in the 6.75 range is he?   And if he goes down ... ouch.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
6 hours ago, appleboy said:

The article Jim the scout not Jim the asset manager says it all.

Jim should run the scouting department not the organization. 

:lol:

13 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Really ? take a look at this memorable choice Jim used on his first draft does it show aptitude or blindess

Canucks draft meeting: Jake Virtanen - All Access - YouTube

Extreme bias showing there Fred.

You take an example from J.B.'s first draft, before he changed the scouting criteria and how they were managed.

But do keep being you, you do you, better than anyone else can.

• Hydration 1
Just now, gurn said:

Extreme bias showing there Fred.

You take an example from J.B.'s first draft, before he changed the scouting criteria and how they were managed.

But do keep being you, you do you, better than anyone else can.

Maybe, I just get tired of this covering up for what are clear errors of judgement and remember after Virtanen came Juolevi ( picked @ 5 O/A ) before he chose to promote Brackett and thus solve the problem

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 3:50 AM, appleboy said:

The organization needs a real president. 

Right now Aquilini is acting as one. NOT GOOD .

Aqau-Lini thinks things are just.........."SWELL".

image.jpeg.41bd2afca729aab53628fc4b6cde3a5c.jpeg

• Haha 1
On 4/17/2021 at 3:06 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Happy to have a path, even if it was forged by blind man, ...there is a path from then to now. 

I will state though, that even though I love EP and QH, I’m not sure I’d build around them... I know, this will pin the eyebrows of readers to their hairlines...:goat:

Playoff hockey and longevity in this sport are at odds with their body types and styles, IMO.  Hate to say it, but a balanced playoff team could be built out of returns for one or both.  This org isn’t really all that deep where it counts, but could be via trades like that, not that I’m foreseeing a GM ballsy enough to trade ONE, let alone two, franchise players... before they’re even out of their first contracts! 

IR mainstay EP and QH being brutalized in the playoffs is something I think is a high probability, once the team gets going.  

Remember you heard it here and the flack I’ll get for suggesting it’s likelihood. 

I agree that how we got here is very important. Knowing how we got here is the only way you avoid doing it again.

They had no plan on how to rebuild the entire organization. They just patched a spot or two each year with no direction. Seven years in we are in the same position but younger. So there is hope.

I think Petey and Hughes are worth building around but they must have a lot of support. If they are put into a circumstance where they are over worked then they won't last. No one is immune to injuries.

Plus owners have never had an apatite for a rebuild . Trading Petey and Hughes would be starting another rebuild. 

Speaking of avoiding things.

OEL just lost his PP1 spot to Jakub Chychrun (another 2016 miss). Even though it derailed our entire off season, thank you Arizona for saying no to JB

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, DSVII said:

Speaking of avoiding things.

OEL just lost his PP1 spot to Jakub Chychrun (another 2016 miss). Even though it derailed our entire off season, thank you Arizona for saying no to JB

Why Benning was even considering OEL is beyond me.

16 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

He’s a big, shiny new toy. Even worse, focusing on OEL contributed to ignoring our UFAs and Toffoli leaving.

Hearsay 

On 4/18/2021 at 1:29 PM, Fred65 said:

Really ? take a look at this memorable choice Jim used on his first draft does it show aptitude or blindess

Canucks draft meeting: Jake Virtanen - All Access - YouTube

It’s harder to find a GM who hasn’t had a pick like this than one who hasn’t.Check out this pick by “that idiot” Neil Smith, GM with one Stanley Cup, two Presidents Trophies, one conference title, three division titles, and seven playoff appearances. 

• Upvote 1