The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

2 minutes ago, combover said:

They’ve had a plan.

to be a competitive team  that rebuilds on the fly and has a winning environment.

they’ve failed at every one of those things as well as many other like cap management and asset management. 

JB and his management is in the top three of worst gms in this franchise he’ll be remember as such. His team stats prove it. 

he’s has excelled in excuses and bad contracts. 
he’s currently the worst GM employed in the nhl. 

C6944E95-47BF-4104-855E-C2176D2C1810.jpeg

8D3CA677-5BC4-46FF-BE31-F959859B0C03.jpeg

25B6184D-8656-4F52-8A9C-A275BE44418C.jpeg

I think the biggest mistake that the owners made was to fire Linden. Linden had no experience but he was learning fast. He was talking to people around the league and was realizing that they needed to take time to do a proper rebuild. 

That is what got him fired. The owners have always been against a rebuild even though there is no way around it. 

I truly hope that they have learned and add an experienced team builder as president of hockey opps.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Fans have to show a little bit more patience IMO.  

Everyone is losing it in this Covid year as we’re all stuck without many other distractions.  

Plan was pretty clear, try and win with the Sedins and then rebuild after. 

Why are we getting impatient now that our cornerstone pieces are in place and are 21 and 22 years old?  

13 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Nashville traded Weber and his terrible contract for PK Subban and his terrible contract though. At the time both were still very productive players. 

Anyone who thinks Arizona would have traded OEL for Eriksson AND retained 2 mil in doing so (aGENT) is on crack.

Anyone who thinks Benning did not see OEL as the answer to our defense and would have overpaid to get him just isnt paying attention to how god awful his pro scouting ability really is.

Thank god that trade never happened 

13 hours ago, Josepho said:

Even if we're ignoring the fact that there is quite literally no reasonable deal involving OEL...

The fact that Bob Murray traded a 7th to us for Del Zotto and then unloaded him for a better pick within a month is basically direct proof that Benning isn't a very good negotiator.

Lol

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

I think the biggest mistake that the owners made was to fire Linden. Linden had no experience but he was learning fast. He was talking to people around the league and was realizing that they needed to take time to do a proper rebuild. 

That is what got him fired. The owners have always been against a rebuild even though there is no way around it. 

I truly hope that they have learned and add an experienced team builder as president of hockey opps.

I never had a problem with Linden inquiring on opinions from his respected friends

He knows how to grow a business, i'd rather have a guy inquire and then decide after hearing the reasoning

Ever try telling a cocky guy he is doing something wrong?

Curious as to who released the story in the first place? Someone he hired?

I agree a team builder is needed

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Fans have to show a little bit more patience IMO.  

Everyone is losing it in this Covid year as we’re all stuck without many other distractions.  

Plan was pretty clear, try and win with the Sedins and then rebuild after. 

Why are we getting impatient now that our cornerstone pieces are in place and are 21 and 22 years old?  

Then why is a guy like Edler still here?

Sometimes people need to let go of players, it's not easy I get it, but if you really care about the future and direction of the team you cheer for, people need to be able to let go of these type of players to aquire assets to help your future, especially when you're rebuilding. 

By holding onto a guy like this and not taking advantage of the assets they could of got for him a couple years ago seems like a step back in any type of rebuild, you lose out on any opportunity to aquire more younger players to just let a guy retire as a Canuck, so you don't not piss off fans...  That's not the type of management you really want when rebuilding, they got to have some backbone and realize some moves just need to be made to better this team going forward. 

And please don't use the excuse for mentoring, because you can always go and aquire a vet for cheap in the off season to do that in a rebuild, but you can't aquire picks and prospects whenever you want, sometimes people need to put on their big boy pants and make the moves that help more for the future. 

Or I guess just let them walk in the off season instead :picard: 

And please don't use the excuse for mentoring, because you can always go and aquire a vet for cheap in the off season to do that in a rebuild,

That's the problem ... right there .. Management fails by every metric, to find a cheap vet. We have a long list  of overpaid vets on bad contracts

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Then why is a guy like Edler still here?

Sometimes people need to let go of players, it's not easy I get it, but if you really care about the future and direction of the team you cheer for, people need to be able to let go of these type of players to aquire assets to help your future, especially when you're rebuilding. 

By holding onto a guy like this and not taking advantage of the assets they could of got for him a couple years ago seems like a step back in any type of rebuild, you lose out on any opportunity to aquire more younger players to just let a guy retire as a Canuck, so you don't not piss off fans...  That's not the type of management you really want when rebuilding, they got to have some backbone and realize some moves just need to be made to better this team going forward. 

And please don't use the excuse for mentoring, because you can always go and aquire a vet for cheap in the off season to do that in a rebuild, but you can't aquire picks and prospects whenever you want, sometimes people need to put on their big boy pants and make the moves that help more for the future. 

Or I guess just let them walk in the off season instead :picard: 

You know Edler would be the most straight forward upgrade for this team going into next year.  Love the guy but he's really lost a step or two over the last year.  I also don't know if he'd want to put up with all the BS in relation to covid, etc.  

I'm glad that we still have a few vets on the team though.  If you watched Kole Lind's debut, you would've seen time and time again Sutter talking to him on the ice, on the bench, giving him a pat on the back and just being a good veteran presence.  

Whenever you talk to NHL players, you always hear about the importance of some veteran leadership.  When you talk to fans, it all comes down to dressing the cheapest, youngest team.  "Get rid of that guy that's 27, he'll be 30 and over the hill in no time!"   

Buffalo and Edmonton went all in with the youth movements and their losing really took a toll and ruined some of their young players.  

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You know Edler would be the most straight forward upgrade for this team going into next year.  Love the guy but he's really lost a step or two over the last year.  I also don't know if he'd want to put up with all the BS in relation to covid, etc.  

I'm glad that we still have a few vets on the team though.  If you watched Kole Lind's debut, you would've seen time and time again Sutter talking to him on the ice, on the bench, giving him a pat on the back and just being a good veteran presence.  

Whenever you talk to NHL players, you always hear about the importance of some veteran leadership.  When you talk to fans, it all comes down to dressing the cheapest, youngest team.  "Get rid of that guy that's 27, he'll be 30 and over the hill in no time!"   

Buffalo and Edmonton went all in with the youth movements and their losing really took a toll and ruined some of their young players.  

Having a few vets is a good idea.

Overpaying a whole bunch of them gets you a bottom feeding cap maxed team.

Its no easy feat to be both of those at once for several seasons.

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Having a few vets is a good idea.

Overpaying a whole bunch of them gets you a bottom feeding cap maxed team.

Its no easy feat to be both of those at once for several seasons.

Okay amigo, we clearly come from different philosophies. What I will say is that those vets are better then the young guys. Young guys shouldn’t be handed anything out IMO.  

Amigo, are you saying that we should have a welfare system for our farm team where some of them get spots guaranteed? (I know you’re not but I’m trying to be full of hyperbole here) 

What an absolute mess this franchise is at the moment.  It's becoming increasingly clear that last year's offseason was a critical junction - was the team similar to the 2009 Blackhawks or were we doomed to another 5 years of mediocrity a la Buffalo, Edmonton etc?

Well we have our answer.  Not only did Benning $&!# the bed, he sprayed explosive diarrhea all over that bed as well as the pillows, walls, and even the goddam ceiling.  Seriously...keeping Myers over Tanev? Virtanen over Toffoli? What an absolute disaster.  When Benning is eventually fired it will take his replacement years to clean up this $&!#show.  

On 4/30/2021 at 7:29 PM, aGENT said:

Awe muffin...

Dude your posts are honestly embarrassing at this point.  You get schooled in each and every exchange but will never acknowledge your precious Benning has ever made a mistake or is ever wrong.  It's cringeworthy.  

Edited by highwayman3

5 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

What an absolute mess this franchise is at the moment.  It's becoming increasingly clear that last year's offseason was a critical junction - was the team similar to the 2009 Blackhawks or were we doomed to another 5 years of mediocrity a la Buffalo, Edmonton etc?

Well we have our answer.  Not only did Benning $&!# the bed, he sprayed explosive diarrhea all over that bed as well as the pillows, walls, and even the goddam ceiling.  Seriously...keeping Myers over Tanev? Virtanen over Toffoli? What an absolute disaster.  When Benning is eventually fired it will take his replacement years to clean up this $&!#show.  

Stop talking about the 2009 Blackhawks.  That is some of the worst media “analysis” I’ve seen.  

It’s as bad as people talking about the Pittsburgh model lol 

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

Stop talking about the 2009 Blackhawks.  That is some of the worst media “analysis” I’ve seen.  

It’s as bad as people talking about the Pittsburgh model lol 

Not that relevant to the actual point but sure.  

4 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

Dude your posts are honestly embarrassing at this point.  You get schooled in each and every exchange but will never acknowledge your precious Benning has ever made a mistake or is ever wrong.  It's cringeworthy.  

I've acknowledged quite a few Benning mistakes actually.

Carry on Muppet.

2 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

Not that relevant to the actual point but sure.  

Rebuilds take time. That’s all im

getting at. 

Blackhawks were bad for a decade before they won anything. 

1 minute ago, highwayman3 said:

Lol.  Ad hominems and bluster is pretty much all you got at this point.  It's sad to be honest.  

Your honestly not worth even those.

Edited by aGENT