The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

This season, he has not produced well. But did you happen to forget he was on pace for over 53 points last season. That's more than acceptable. Also, many players on our team are underperforming this year. 

His production (which was already massively driven by empty net points) has been absolutely terrible since February 2020. This is a player that has had a large sample size of not producing well that even predates this season.

It's not last season anymore, Pearson has changed (for the worse) as a player.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

This season, he has not produced well. But did you happen to forget he was on pace for over 53 points last season. That's more than acceptable. Also, many players on our team are underperforming this year. 

Yeah... I've worn out my keyboard explaining to people that trying to glean any concrete statistical information from this gong show season is a fool's errand. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yeah... I've worn out my keyboard explaining to people that trying to glean any concrete statistical information from this gong show season is a fool's errand. 

Wholeheartedly agree. Many posters on CDC are ignoring the fact that this season is an aberration the likes of which we have never seen and are unlikely to see again. Injuries, almost all of the team stricken with COVID, a stupid schedule, plus 21,163 air miles (second only to Edmonton's 21,684, both of which are probably the two highest travel totals in the NHL), having to quarantine call-ups for a week, having their taxi squad stuck in limbo, not being able to get some guys (DiPietro) any meaningful playing time until just this past couple of weeks, no fans in the building and having to be walled off from most of the rest of the world have all taken a toll. The NHL's insistence on Vancouver playing out four of its last five against Calgary, a team that will also miss the playoffs, seems like a make work project that fails to give the team any meaningful rest and recovery time and which increases the potential for injury due to fatigue. But it completes Bettman's perfect circle of happiness to see Vancouver struggle. 

On another note: Any predictions on how many games MacEwen will get for "kneeing" Darnell Nurse? I'm thinking after this week's debacle with the DPOS, probably three games and a stern talking to.

9 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Wholeheartedly agree. Many posters on CDC are ignoring the fact that this season is an aberration the likes of which we have never seen and are unlikely to see again. Injuries, almost all of the team stricken with COVID, a stupid schedule, plus 21,163 air miles (second only to Edmonton's 21,684, both of which are probably the two highest travel totals in the NHL), having to quarantine call-ups for a week, having their taxi squad stuck in limbo, not being able to get some guys (DiPietro) any meaningful playing time until just this past couple of weeks, no fans in the building and having to be walled off from most of the rest of the world have all taken a toll. The NHL's insistence on Vancouver playing out four of its last five against Calgary, a team that will also miss the playoffs, seems like a make work project that fails to give the team any meaningful rest and recovery time and which increases the potential for injury due to fatigue. But it completes Bettman's perfect circle of happiness to see Vancouver struggle. 

On another note: Any predictions on how many games MacEwen will get for "kneeing" Darnell Nurse? I'm thinking after this week's debacle with the DPOS, probably three games and a stern talking to.

Silver lining with the ridiculous, compressed schedule... We're likely getting a better look at Lind, Rathbone etc than we otherwise would have.

As for DOPS, I lost any faith I had in them making consistent, logical decisions years ago. Mac could get banned from the NHL for life or be subject to an awkward tickle fight from Parros, or anything in between and it wouldn't surprise me.

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

-We didn’t start a rebuild in 2014 

-Pearson is an average 2nd line winger by NHL standards. Are you comparing him to 1st line wingers and saying he’s not a top 6 guy? He passes the eye test and the analytics test. 

For most pof their careers Tafoli and Pearson actually played on the same line together. I don't rate as an aveage 2nd line winger. He's being carried by Bo and before that Tafoli. Good guy I believe but strictly on hockey bases I'd rate his skills as 3rd line material

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not remotely similar starting points. WAY more saleable assets to kick start a rebuild, two draft lotto wins and Big Apple draw to attract guys like Panarin... It's not REMOTELY comparable.

And again, firing their management under those circumstances is not something we should aim to emulate. 

Try some critical thinking.

Try some new excuses

“I like this team - I like the core players. This is a team we can turn around in a hurry.” - Benning

— Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks) May 23, 2014

Edited by Fred65
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Try some new excuses

Facts and context. That you think the two team's situations are remotely comparable is telling.

Back to ignoring your posts again...

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Try some new excuses

"This is a team we can turn around in a hurry."  May 23, 2014

And with all due respect, they did turn around in a hurry.

They went from 25th in the league to 48-29-5 = 101 pts in 2014/15, 2nd in the Pacific...

Try a different angle.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Benning Should take a look at Ryan Getzlaf to become our 3rd line center for next season. His huge contract is over and we could use an experienced guy thats won a lot o er the years. Probably be cheap as well.

And you think Edler is too slow.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Josepho said:

He definitely doesn't. His 5v5 P/60 (1.13) is lower than guys like Jordie Benn and Tyler Motte. His production has been absolutely terrible this season relative to his ice time.

This year he doesn't, last year he did very well.  I'm not going to base much on this year, our schedule sucked, Covid happened and none of his teammates did much either.  

4 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Benning Should take a look at Ryan Getzlaf to become our 3rd line center for next season. His huge contract is over and we could use an experienced guy thats won a lot o er the years. Probably be cheap as well.

On the other side... what possible motivation could Getzlaf have to come and play with us for cheap?

I can tell you from direct first hand knowledge, the guy loves playing in California.  Even in their Cup winning year, they got to be anonymous until they were within a block of the rink... and then got to play in front of great fans.  Best of both worlds.

If he decided to go somewhere else for a cheap contract, it would be a contender and probably an original six.  We have nothing to offer.

Edited by Provost

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

On the other side... what possible motivation could Getzlaf have to come and play with us for cheap?

I can tell you from direct first hand knowledge, the guy loves playing in California.  Even in their Cup winning year, they got to be anonymous until they were within a block of the rink... and then got to play in front of great fans.  Best of both worlds.

If he decided to go somewhere else for a cheap contract, it would be a contender and probably an original six.  We have nothing to offer.

Well hes not having a very good year and might be into a mentoring role like spezza and thornton are doing and just having fun. I dont think hes some sorta UFA that most teams are gonna be fighting for even the California teams.

Its not like hes going to be a very wanted man for a contender or a original six team. For the canucks if he still wants to still play and have a good role i dont see why the nucks wouldnt be a team hed be interested in.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

And with all due respect, they did turn around in a hurry.

They went from 25th in the league to 48-29-5 = 101 pts in 2014/15, 2nd in the Pacific...

Try a different angle.

Yep 2013-14 83 points --> 2014-15 101 points

On 5/6/2021 at 4:24 PM, Bertuzzipunch said:

I also want them to take a run for boone jenner.

Pretty unfortunate Ferland didnt work out cause he woulda been a perfect guy for our bottom 6 when healthy. 

Have wanted Jenner forever.

Much better target than Getzlaf imo - who's not really cut out for that role (this team is not a veteran group like Toronto - this team needs dedicated hard minutes veterans imo and probably will for another few years as they integrate so much youth....)

It'll be interesting to see what Columbus does.

So much talk around here regarding why haven't Benning or Green been fired - but for me, the most surprising continuing tenure is Tortorella - borderline can't believe he's still employed in Columbus - that team has radically underperformed throughout his tenure there.  From my armchair, that looks like a team that could use some fresh air in their locker room more than any other in the league.  Beyond that I'm also not a fan of Tortorella's hard-headed cookie-cutter systems - I think he's probably one of the easiest coaches in the league to gameplan.

I was hoping we could poach Jenner when Tortorella started using him like a rented mule / devaluing him - deflating his production - maybe there'll be another window if they continue to flag, make some changes (and have the e.d. approaching...).   He's on IR presently - with one year of term remaining at 3.75 million.  17 pts is what most people would judge him by - and assume he's an overpaid bottom six - but he plays the hardest minutes on that team, is their lead penalty killer and a very solid two way player.....They moved Foligno and Savard...not that hard to imagine that he might be next.

First things first though - it's long overdue for them to fire Tortorella.   17-25 for that group is awful -  he has a way of bringing out player's career worst years.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Have wanted Jenner forever.

Much better target than Getzlaf imo - who's not really cut out for that role (this team is not a veteran group like Toronto - this team needs dedicated hard minutes veterans imo and probably will for another few years as they integrate so much youth....)

It'll be interesting to see what Columbus does.

So much talk around here regarding why haven't Benning or Green been fired - but for me, the most surprising continuing tenure is Tortorella - borderline can't believe he's still employed in Columbus - that team has radically underperformed throughout his tenure there.  From my armchair, that looks like a team that could use some fresh air in their locker room more than any other in the league.  Beyond that I'm also not a fan of Tortorella's hard-headed cookie-cutter systems - I think he's probably one of the easiest coaches in the league to gameplan.

I was hoping we could poach Jenner when Tortorella started using him like a rented mule / devaluing him - deflating his production - maybe there'll be another window if they continue to flag, make some changes (and have the e.d. approaching...).

Jenner has one year left there and it would seem they may be ready for a re-something in Columbus (and I agree that should include replacing Torts).

He may very well be available and I'd love to get him. Columbus might be better off cashing him in as a rental next TDL though. But if he's an available UFA, next, next offseason we could always target him then as well (and have some cap space opening to do so).

Long and short... Jenner yes please. This year or next.

• Cheers 1

Yeah id want jenner but his cap hit is still close to 4 mill and dont think we can sign him with the cap sit plus who do we have to give up for him? Maybe a 3rd? We really wanna do that with not much in the system already. 

Edited by Bertuzzipunch

13 hours ago, Josepho said:

His production (which was already massively driven by empty net points) has been absolutely terrible since February 2020. This is a player that has had a large sample size of not producing well that even predates this season.

It's not last season anymore, Pearson has changed (for the worse) as a player.

How many empty net points did he have? I know he had quite a few goals. It was kind of freakish really.